Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Stadium Euromillions Jackpot dilemma

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Recently a couple from Scotland won the £161 million jackpot on the Euromillions Lottery.

Hypothetically, if Tony Bloom hadn’t have come forward and put the money in to build our new ground and we had no other way of funding the project (from banks etc) and if you had been that lucky jackpot winner instead and had scooped the £161 million fortune, would you have funded the stadium yourself?

Would you have paid for the whole thing or only been willing to put in a percentage of the cost (how much?) or would you have looked at a cheaper alternative to the current ground? Or been unwilling to put anything in at all?

I think it would be interesting to see what people would have been willing to put into the club if they had won that £161 million and maybe help made the moaners criticising little things about the ground and the club at present realise how much Tony Bloom has done for us all.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
100% yes. And offered another £10m for new players. That still leaves enough to live on very comfortably.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Only on the condition that I could train with the squad day in day out and be registered as a player so I have my own squad number. No condition that I have to be played in games or anything, just get to play football every day should I wish

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yep.

how are you going to spend £160m? you'd make £5m a year in interest leaving it in the bank. i could live a happy life of luxury on a tenth of that, so £100m for your club to sort out its stadium, a good chunk of which you'll probably see back anyway, seems pretty obvious to me. (why i think Bloom isnt necessarily as wealthy as some believe)

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Yes because as has been said, you could still have plenty to live on for the rest of your life. The only clause I would put in is that it can never be sold without the permission of a select committee that I would assemble, consisting of some of the people who helped save our club last time. Nobody including myself or any of my successors, would be able sell unless it made sense and had the majority backing.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Yes - on condition children aren't allowed in Dick's bar.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I would just sign Messi and think about the wages another day

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Yes. Interest free loan like Bloom, and each time I get some paid back it would go straight to charity. 10 million is still piss easily enough to live like a f***ing legend. 1 million is enough to live a dream. 500k... and so on. All I personally would really jones for would be a sweet 1million pound house in a nice area then live off the interest. nice.

mrbigshot

Dec 15, 2009
Mid Sussex
Tbh if i had 161 million i would keep about 10mil, spend 105mil on stadium and that, give them 20mil for players, give some to charity and family

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Yes - and I'd have a mahoosive penthouse built into the place, with a balcony that overlooks the pitch, and hot and cold running totty.

And a parking space.

Once I'd built a magnificent stadium for the Albion, I'd think about building a slightly less magnificent replacement for Selhurst Park. Ok ... a much less magnificent replacement. I'd then pump loads of money into squad building at Croydon Athletic and sit back to enjoy the spectacle of Croydon's second best team rattling around in a brand new stadium, with declining crowds and everybody grateful to the rich benefactor who had made all this possible.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Recently a couple from Scotland won the £161 million jackpot on the Euromillions Lottery.

Hypothetically, if Tony Bloom hadn’t have come forward and put the money in to build our new ground and we had no other way of funding the project (from banks etc) and if you had been that lucky jackpot winner instead and had scooped the £161 million fortune, would you have funded the stadium yourself?

Would you have paid for the whole thing or only been willing to put in a percentage of the cost (how much?) or would you have looked at a cheaper alternative to the current ground? Or been unwilling to put anything in at all?

I think it would be interesting to see what people would have been willing to put into the club if they had won that £161 million and maybe help made the moaners criticising little things about the ground and the club at present realise how much Tony Bloom has done for us all.

Yes i would have funded it myself-if i had enough spare change i would have done a few backhanders to get the thing built at Waterhall & have a branch line off-failing that i would have re located the village of Falmer, Emeerdale style.

Would i be skint soon after?probably
Would my family friends and a few free loaders be looked after?yes
Would i be happy?most defiantly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here