Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American History X

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else catch it last night. Quality film i reckon, pretty thought provoking but doesn't ever try to be too clever.

not to keen on the bit where Norton tells the guy to 'bite the curb' before stamping on the back if his head though.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Anyone else catch it last night. Quality film i reckon, pretty thought provoking but doesn't ever try to be too clever.

not to keen on the bit where Norton tells the guy to 'bite the curb' before stamping on the back if his head though.

Yeah, dope film. Think the 'bite the curb' scene is one of the top ten sickeners in film history....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Want another argument chappers? I thought it the same as all attempts by Americans at history - unadulterated crap :jester:

Not sure where the history came into this film though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't know it was on, and tuned in during the scene when Norton is having that debate at the dinner table over Rodney King. I was hooked and watched the rest of the film, absolute quality. Eddie "Terminator 2" Furlong was excellent as well.

I also watched Payback on C5 last night - fookin superb film, Mel Gibson at his finest.

Hooker (eying up Porter): "I've uhh, got a few minutes...."
Porter: "So go boil an egg"

:lolol: Quality

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Want another argument chappers? I thought it the same as all attempts by Americans at history - unadulterated crap :jester:

Not sure where the history came into this film though.

Excellent example of contradiction, nice. It wasn't an 'attempt' at history at all, it was an extremely watchable film about anti semitism, that's all.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It is a brilliant, complex and very brave film. And yes...just the thought of teeth and pavement...yuk.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh yeah, it's by far and away Ed Nortons best film too, a great acting performance from him and Furlong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Excellent example of contradiction, nice. It wasn't an 'attempt' at history at all, it was an extremely watchable film about anti semitism, that's all.

I though most of the characters were very wooden and hammy, especially the girlfriend and the svenagli (sorry it's while since I watched it and i don't remember the characters names) and the use of violence and over the top bigotry seemed to be what sold the film.

All very predictable but lots of shock value. whatever turns you on I guess.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Icy Gull said:
I though most of the characters were very wooden and hammy, especially the girlfriend and the svenagli (sorry it's while since I watched it and i don't remember the characters names) and the use of violence and over the top bigotry seemed to be what sold the film.

All very predictable but lots of shock value. whatever turns you on I guess.

I can't really disagree with that, the kerb scene is whats sold this film, its the only reason I rented it :(

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think when you're making a film about something like neo-Naziism, it would be only too easy to slip into cliche, i.e. to portray them as having no existence outside of being violent animals.

But that film is all the more powerful for explaining that these people, for example, do also care for their families; it makes what I see as its main point - bigoted violence and hatred achieve nothing but breeding further violence and hatred - all the more strongly.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Thought they messed it up at the end by having the black student packing heat at school and blowing his brother away though, white Norton finds redemption but blacks will still be blacks kind of feel, he could have just given him a slap.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
To be honest if the film sparks contraversy and gets people talking about it like this thread, then it's 'job done' as far as the dirsector is concerened.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
lost in london said:
Didn't bother watching it as I've never seen the first 9.

Quality.

I thought the film was gripping, the most gripping part was that scene in the showers, I haven't seen anyone gripped like that since Scum and the lad in the potting shed c. 1980...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Stayed up and watched it last night. Was disgusted and impressed. Makes you thinks.

And yes, the curb scene is sickening.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I thought it was dissapointing to be honest, I agree with the wooden acting comment. It began well but then went down hill fast imo, and Nortons character was just unconvincing when he turned into the good boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here