Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Express - have you got their card?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Everyone calls our stadium the Amex now, and many people are upset their logo will be upside down. We love our sponsors :angel:

Has anyone gone and got an American Express card purely because they sponsor our stadium?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope.
I have a Barclaycard, but I only use it for holiday bookings (which are then paid off immediately), and in case of emergencies. If its not being cleared in full then credit cards are for mugs.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Why would any right thinking individual bother with one, unless it was the invitation only Centurion card, in this day and age?

Total waste of time. It's barely accepted anywhere and costs more to use than your standard Visa or Mastercard.

It's just a sponsor, nothing exciting or unique about them. Forgive me if I don't get excited about an American financial services company

John Sayers

Aug 17, 2009
Saltdean
I have their Platinum card which gives cashback on everything I spend on it. Didn't care about its apr% as I pay it off every month. Last year they credited my account with £182 just for using their card. Cant complain.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My main card of use is an Amex and has been since long before the Albion tie-up.

It's a Virgin Atlantic card and so earns me miles which come in very handy at holiday time.

And, unlike [MENTION=15906]Colossal Squid[/MENTION] says above, I'd say it is accepted at 80-90% of the places I use it, including the places where I spend most - Tesco for shopping and fuel (and all other supermarkets and garages), and Amazon online.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nope.
I have a Barclaycard, but I only use it for holiday bookings (which are then paid off immediately), and in case of emergencies. If its not being cleared in full then credit cards are for mugs.

Blimey, have you turned into [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]?

I use credit cards for almost everything I buy - only the smallest of purchases will see me use cash.

When I earn loyalty points, cashback or miles when I use a card, I want to use it as much as possible. However I also clear the balance in full every month.

The only time I didn't know that was in the old high interest days, when I'd take out a high-limit 0% card, use it for everything and save the cash in a savings account until such time as interest was about to be due, at which point I'd pay the balance in full, pocketing the interest that had built up throughout the process.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I have their Platinum card which gives cashback on everything I spend on it. Didn't care about its apr% as I pay it off every month. Last year they credited my account with £182 just for using their card. Cant complain.

Same here.. if you put a grand or two a month on it you get a decent sum at the end of the year. Having said that, if AMEX were to bring out a BHA one with loyalty points to spend at the AMEX I'd probably trade in the Platinum for that.
And like Bozza, I've found that it's taken nearly everywhere now. It does cost retailers a little more to accept it but it is widely accepted nowadays.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is no annual fee for a platinum card.

There is for the Amex issued charge card...

In order to qualify for the Platinum Charge Card, you must make sure that you:

Are aged 18 or over
Have a current UK bank or building society account
Have an Annual Household Income of £40,000 (i.e. your personal income plus partner’s income)
Have a permanent UK home address
Have no County Court Judgements for non-payment of debt
If self-employed, you have been trading for over one year
Pay an Annual Fee of £300

I reckon you're using another (possibly MBNA issued) Amex credit card.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have an Amex Platinum, that I use all of the benefits, so well worth the £300 a year fee (although they keep f***ing up and I have had £575 in credits this year from them, would any of your banks do this?) Apart from being shit at the fundementals of being able to run the card properly, its brilliant. Also have an MBNA BMI credit card that I use, just for the balance transfer & interest free purchase promotions. Should also note, due to all the mess ups, they have promised me a VERY special day at the AMEX this season courtesy of them ;-)

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Blimey, have you turned into [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]?

I use credit cards for almost everything I buy - only the smallest of purchases will see me use cash.

When I earn loyalty points, cashback or miles when I use a card, I want to use it as much as possible. However I also clear the balance in full every month.
The only time I didn't know that was in the old high interest days, when I'd take out a high-limit 0% card, use it for everything and save the cash in a savings account until such time as interest was about to be due, at which point I'd pay the balance in full, pocketing the interest that had built up throughout the process.

This. As long as it's cleared in full each month there are very decent benefits on offer. And as others have said, there's no annual fee.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You don't pay an annual fee for the Platinum CREDIT card, which gives you cashback if you spend big on it.

Only the CHARGE cards have annual fees. These are the ones I see no point in.

If you use credit cards, can make use of the rewards and don't have difficulty in using it then I guess an Amex credit card has its uses.

It's paying £300 a year for a card that gives you no long term credit facility that I find completely pointless

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I would get one if they designed one with a nice shiny bhafc logo, probably wouldn't ever use it though, would just sit in my wallet looking pretty

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Get the Airmiles Duo Card from Lloyds

You get both an Amex card and a Mastercard. The Amex one earns you about 5 times as many airmiles as the mastercard, but the mastercard is there to close any coverage gaps where Amex is not taken.

And if you use the Amex, it builds airmiles pretty quickly.....bloody good product.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've had one of their credit cards for years for the BA miles. Provides far more benefits than any of my other cards so use it for everything and it's accepted almost all of the time. Smaller retailers sometimes won't but no problem with the biggies.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
When I used to work in IT for Amex in Brighton, I used to help out in the Centurion Card department which was housed in a separate building since the IT admin there was fairly clueless. It used to be funny to hear some of the stories of clients who would call in - clients would usually have particular customer service staff who they would solely deal with, and there would be all kinds of requests. Things like a celeb calling in asking the Amex staff to arrange tickets for them at a London theatre - it was almost like they had their own Personal Assistants at the end of the phone as a benefit for having the centurion card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here