Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American bail bonds

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Been watching Dog the Bounty Hunter tonight - I love that show - and I was wondering. How does the bail bond system work? Where's the profit for the Bondsman?

As I see it, your mate gets banged up but can be released on bail, I borrow the money from a bondsman to get him out....then what? Is it at an extortionate rate?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
From Wikipedia: "Bondsmen generally charge a fee of 10% of the total amount of the bail required in order to post a bond for the amount. This fee is not refundable and represents the bondsman's compensation for his or her services."

You've gotta love Dog and his war against ice.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i thought the fee was refunded when the 'alleged' turns up at court? (the bond co then get the remainder of what they paid, as well)..

If the charges get dropped or you are acquitted if you can afford to you can try suing the Police but the bail bondsman keeps their fee no matter what. It's yet another scam by the joke that is the American legal system.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
so you have to pay to prove innocence?? crazy!

You got it ! I can speak from personal experience of their justice, my soon to be ex wife and then pregnant step daughter spent two weeks in jail because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was me that bailed them out. The charges were eventually dropped but they couldn't afford to get a lawyer to sue the police.

What is even more disturbing is the quality of Public Defenders there (the US equivalent of legal aid). There's little doubt that quite a few people on death row are innocent but are there thanks to poor legal representation.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Been watching Dog the Bounty Hunter tonight - I love that show - and I was wondering. How does the bail bond system work? Where's the profit for the Bondsman?

As I see it, your mate gets banged up but can be released on bail, I borrow the money from a bondsman to get him out....then what? Is it at an extortionate rate?

Have you not seen Jackie Brown?? :lolol:

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Ahhhhh but the goofy 'Baby Lyssa' (as she is called on DTBH) is not infact Beths biological daughter! Which explains why her chest is more like Dog's than that of Beths!!!! But anyways, cracking programme and some amazing quotes from the legend that is Dog, for example this little beauty: 'You know the sandman who puts you to sleep? Well we're the wake up men'. Fookin genius Duane!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dog is WICKERD !!
Anyone know if Mexico are still trying to extridite Him,Leeland and Young Blood ?

website says that all charges are dropped.

Bloody good thing too. They were trying to get that perfumes heir who was wanted on murder or rape charges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here