Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Amazon v GMB.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know what has gone on here maybe some kind of management threat to employees (?) and of course it's down to the individual at the end of the day yet extremely close vote. Personally a little surprised by the result.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't know what has gone on here maybe some kind of management threat to employees (?) and of course it's down to the individual at the end of the day yet extremely close vote. Personally a little surprised by the result.
Yeah, I was very surprised and very disappointed by the result. I don't know any more than what I've read in the Guardian, but I'm struggling to believe that Amazon is such a great place to work that people feel they don't need protection.

Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/jul/17/amazon-workers-union-recognition-gmb-vote

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I wonder if there are any actual Amazon employees on this board that can give us the inside line rather than us bunch of middle aged semi retired folk being outraged on their behalf and debating what they should have done from the safety of our Brighton (and the surrounding area’s) suburbs 😉

Edit I’m a member of the GMB 😉

Reactions: GOM

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe the staff didn't like the union?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
workers had been told they would get no pay rise this year and would lose benefits if they voted for union recognition.

From the article, no wonder many employees decided that they would not support the vote for the Union, instead wanting to keep what they already had, with the possibility of a pay rise.

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
In the past it has been reported that elsewhere, before such a vote, Amazon 'employ' many other workers to coincide with the vote. The result has been that the union then (miraculously) loses the vote. Some time after, the new employees seem to leave the company.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The workers were apparently bombarded with propaganda (equivalent to "£350 million a day for the NHS" during the Brexit run up) by the owners.

Still, they voted, and if they wanted to vote to have no union representation they have only themselves to blame. f*** 'em.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
workers had been told they would get no pay rise this year and would lose benefits if they voted for union recognition.

From the article, no wonder many employees decided that they would not support the vote for the Union, instead wanting to keep what they already had, with the possibility of a pay rise.
That's precisely why they need to be unionised, to fight against such blackmail.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Couldn't have been much closer: 49.5% v 50.5%. As others have said, people clearly scared for their jobs☹️
This is Britain, we're highly experienced at voting against our own interests.

I personally avoid the company wherever possible, just use it as a search engine

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is Britain, we're highly experienced at voting against our own interests.

I personally avoid the company wherever possible, just use it as a search engine
This is Britain, we're highly experienced at being sacrificed on the altar of Big Business

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
When it comes down to voting how exactly does it work say as in 51% yes 49 % no or a 66/33 split is that down to individual companies/trade unions or a larger company say like Ford, Stagecoach one depot out and then it's all out ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I assume there are enough people that feel insecure enough about their jobs, that they voted for their employer's preference, rather than their own interests.

It's a more common problem than you'd think......
Why is a problem that majority didnt want union involved.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Couldn't have been much closer: 49.5% v 50.5%. As others have said, people clearly scared for their jobs☹️
No, no, no. That’s a clear majority. It would be outrageous for the losing side to think it might be ok to have another vote on the matter within a generation (30 years). It doesn’t matter what lies the employer may have told to garner the vote, the employees have spoken. That’s it. Done and dusted. No further discussion needed.

That’s how it works, isn’t it?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

And this is one reason why I ruled Amazon out of my life. I don't use them. I never have. And I urge others to do the same.

I am living testament that it is possible to survive without using Amazon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here