Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amalfi / Positano / Capri

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Trying to book an anniversary break here, never been, advice welcome from those that have

Is Positano Worth the almost prohibitive accomodation prices?
Is it worth staying in Capri or just doing a day trip?
What's the best way / method of travel from Naples airport?
Any other advice? I know renting a car is a bad idea

Any advice greatly appreciated

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Trying to book an anniversary break here, never been, advice welcome from those that have

hi Randy. We use sorrento as a base and it’s quite easy to have day trips to positano amafi and capri.
ischia is a nice option as a island trip , it is pretty and a lot quieter than capri.

Taxis are quite expensive from Naples airport prices start from 100 euros and its best to pre book ( there’s loads of company’s online)
But there is a shuttle coach leaving from the airport to sorrento which is every hour and you just pay the driver about 10 euros a person.

depending when you go it can get very busy but it’s well worth it as it’s a beautiful part of the world.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
hi Randy. We use sorrento as a base and it’s quite easy to have day trips to positano amafi and capri.
Taxis are quite expensive from Naples airport prices start from 100 euros and its best to pre book ( there’s loads of company’s online)
But there is a shuttle coach leaving from the airport to sorrento which is every hour and you just pay the driver about 10 euros a person.
depending when you go it can get very busy but it’s well worth it as it’s a beautiful part of the world.
All good advice above, so nothing much to add.
We also used and did day trips to the areas you listed.
Lots of options in Sorrento.
Take the train to Herculaneum which is actually better than Pompeii IMO, it’s about 2-3 stops further and generally less busy.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Capri - just a day trip
make sure you visit Herculaneum - not as touristy as Pompei but I found it more interesting (it was a bigger city but they haven’t excavated as much.
we Used the train to get to Naples from Rome and onto Sorrento I think which was very cheap and efficient. We did find Sorrento quite touristy though. Also a water taxi is great to see the Amalfi Coast from the water

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
ischia is a nice option as a island trip , it is pretty and a lot quieter than capri.

Bloody hell Dougie, is this your first ever decent post on NSC? :wink:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Did this trip about six years ago (April) as family of four. Hired a car and based ourselves in Salerno as hotel was cheap (Novotel next to the Salernitana ground). It did mean driving everywhere but managed to do Heraculeum (sp), Pompeii, Vesuvius, Napoli for the football, Amalfi coast in the car. We also did a boat ride from Salerno in to Amalfi. Some great pizza in Salerno.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I just noticed Easyjet fly to Salerno which makes the trip much easier !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We've just come back from four days in Naples, four in Rome. Much preferred Naples and, if you like life and chaos, I'd strongly recommend spending some time there. Via Tribunali has to be one of the most thrilling streets in Europe.
We visited Herculaneum and Pompeii from there, both extraordinary. We did Herculaneum first, which I'd recommend doing if you're doing both, as you'll get the detail there, and then you can enjoy the expanse, feel and extras that are at Pompeii.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

We did a two week trip, spending a week on Ischia and a week in Sorrento. easyJet cheap as chIps to Naples, bus to the port, ferry to be met in Ischia by the accommodation owner, another ferry via Capri to Sorrento. Agree that day trips are a fine way to do things - we went to Positano during a trip up the coast on a RIB which was great - and we enjoyed Ischia too. Hasn't got the glamorous reputation of the others but that has its benefits too. Lovely place. Got a bus back to Naples from Sorrento which was dead easy. Seem to remember we could have taken the train for a day in Pompeii but it was so hot we didn't bother (granted, not as hot as the day that made Pompeii famous).

Makes me want to go back.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Amazing part of the world. Only things to add (18 years ago so may have changed!)
Do a night in Capri, once the day trip tourists leave for the day it’s a different place. The little town square is hilarious at night, 80 something Italian women dripping in gold with 25 year old toy boys :ROFLMAO:
You can hire a little motorboat on Capri and explore the coast yourself, the wife still hasn’t quite gotten over that!!
Limoncello originated in a little town in the hills near Amalfi, worth a visit, I can’t remember its name now.
I hired a car in Naples city centre, not recommended!!

Be warned 18 years ago it wasn’t cheap, I dread to think now!

I want to go back.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
in addition to what has been already said, Ravello as also a beautiful place to visit - a bit further up from Positano. I’ve done this trip a few times and have always based myself in Sorrento. Napoli is a gritty, fun city and if you go there, visit the Underground city caves. As previously said, Capri is a day trip and is very expensive, and I preferred Herculaneum to Pompeii. Remember to take the climb up Vesuvius as well. I also visited a limoncello distillery in the hills around Sorrento which was fun

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Capri is only a day visit as others have said, try an take a boat round the island.

Sorrento is a good base, you can get there by train or ferry.

If you go to Pompeii be prepared, as there is little to no shade and you will get hot.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Mrs Loz and myself are flying to Naples in September then spending 4 nights in a town halfway between Naples and sorento by train from there we are going to Capri, Amalfi and Pompeii.

Then a train to Bari to make our way back to London by train with overnight stops in Florence, Venice, the lakes, Lyon, Paris and back to Blighty…. From Bari it’s a lose agenda and we will make other stops, we are going for 3 weeks with just back packs.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I used to be out in Tuscany/Umbria, Sicily and Amalfi Coast for weeks on end every summer when I used to photograph properties and lifestyle stuff for Uk tour operators.

So my take on the Amalfi coast, simple advice, if cost/budget is in anyway an issue, stay in Salerno, right on edge of Amalfii Coast, one third of price and excellent bus service around the coast.
DON'T hire a car, the roads are treacherous, windy and dangerous. Take bus.
only downside is the bus drops you on the road at top of Positano and you'll need to walk down steepish road to beach area plus walk back.

Enjoy it though, its lovely. Amalfi town, Positano, Minori, Ravello and Sorrento are my picks

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Been there a few times on cruises and hotel holidays.

you will love it.

take your gladrags. Some of the restaurants and bars are very posh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here