Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I the only one who didn't know....

Oct 25, 2003
captain%20pugwash.gif

Pretty common on the African east and west coast.

Amnesty Internation believe a huge number of refugees are lost due to the pirates.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It is beginning more common and the pirates have been getting better because they have invested their earnings in better weapons, expensive GPS and very good speedboats. It is worrying stuff.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
How the f*** do you get away with stealing a f***ing great oil liner? I mean it's not exactly the quickest or most inconspicuios (sp) of vehicles now is it?

And where do you actually flog the stuff, I mean who buys knocked off barrels of oil?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How the f*** do you get away with stealing a f***ing great oil liner? I mean it's not exactly the quickest or most inconspicuios (sp) of vehicles now is it?

And where do you actually flog the stuff, I mean who buys knocked off barrels of oil?

They don't do it to sell the cargo, they get a ransom for the crew / vessel / cargo, and disappear.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

They park it off the Somalian coast and wait for a ransom for the release of the boat to be agreed. Then they go and do the same thing to another boat.

More often than not they get their ransom money - even though the Royal Navy are heading up an internation task force to stop this sort of occurence. The owers are too worried about the value of the cargo and their boat and will normally pay up. Interestingly, it is very rare for crew members of the ships to be harmed - they are supposedly treated fairly well be the pirates.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What price the UN goes in to provide some LAW in Somalia at some point?(when enough hijacked tankers are in Somali ports).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Think you lot are missing an opportunity down on the south coast. I am not sure if pirates on canals would work up here

Brilliant idea - I would LOVE to hijact an Isle of Wight ferry!

I doubt highjacking a canal boat in Wolverhampton would be as effective.

Even at today's bargain-give-away prices for crude oli, the cargo is worth $116 million.

Interesting that the quantity of oil on board is quoted as "a quarter of the entire daily output of Saudi Arabia". I guess this is supposed to make us think it's a significant loss to someone. If it was described as "an amount of oil that can be replaced with just six hours drilling", we might not be as bothered.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Probably. It's commonplace in SE Asia, but reports have increased dramatically in recent years because the vessels targetted have been getting larger and larger. An attempt was made a few months ago on a large passenger cruise ship.

The thing I don't understand (genuinely) is how do they get on these huge ships.

They come up behind on a fast speedboat and then there's a 100 ft up to the deck of the oil tanker. So how do they climb up?

That's what been bothering me all day.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Pirates have always existed. They operate all the time, capturing vessels full of imported goods, weapons, drugs ect. They are just never covered very widey in the media. The only reason this has been covered is because it is a large vessel, containing vast amounts of oil, and holding two British crew.
Most of them are opportunist thieves, boarding ships, and looting what they can before escaping. This lot are armed with assault rifles, grenade launchers etc.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It is beginning more common and the pirates have been getting better because they have invested their earnings in better weapons, expensive GPS and very good speedboats. It is worrying stuff.

What a pity they didn't take a note of their forebears and bury their earnings on uninhabited islands. :bigwave:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Nothing high tech. They use grappling hooks and rope ladders, much the same a depicted in all the pirate films you see.

And no I'm not joking.:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here