Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His career is accelerating fast. Called up but couldn’t go to the Colombia under 23s last month and now called up to the full team!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Question:-

if we had paid £20m for steven alzate how would you be feeling now, happy or disappointed with the investment with the way he has played?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Don't see what difference it makes but personally, I'd be thinking he'll be worth twice that in a couple of years so quite happy with it.

You could look at it in terms of, the set up and running costs of the academy (quoted are £70m and £5m per year) are the transfer fee, or equivalent of, for the young players we have coming through

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Question:-

if we had paid £20m for steven alzate how would you be feeling now, happy or disappointed with the investment with the way he has played?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Delighted, he is ridiculously good. Won’t be long before he’s recognised as our best midfielder.

In the few matches he’s played, I’ve seen enough in his touch, vision, awareness and physicality to see he’s going to the top.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He was an incredibly versatile player who played CB and in midfield as I recall. To some extent perhaps his career suffered because he was too versatile. That's where the comparison came from in my head.

I only remember him playing as a LCB. I have always seen Dunk as our modern day Stevens.

Stevens career was cut short at Spurs after a leg breaking tackle not long after he left us.

https://www.footiewithdad.com/even-stevens-former-england-international-gary-stevens-story/

Unless he played midfield for Spurs I'm not convinced of the versatile bit. Not saying he couldn't play midfield, more that he didn't.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Delighted, he is ridiculously good. Won’t be long before he’s recognised as our best midfielder.

In the few matches he’s played, I’ve seen enough in his touch, vision, awareness and physicality to see he’s going to the top.

Yes. In the time he's had on the pitch this season, he's been mostly out of position somewhere on the left and he has had no top level experience to fall back on. Despite this, he is already a serious threat for Propper's place (a full Dutch international). In my opinion Alzate is already at Davy's level as a CM and by the end of the season will have easily surpassed it. Getting to Stephens level will take a bit more doing as his form has been unbelievable so far.

I wonder what Bissouma is thinking

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes. In the time he's had on the pitch this season, he's been mostly out of position somewhere on the left and he has had no top level experience to fall back on. Despite this, he is already a serious threat for Propper's place (a full Dutch international). In my opinion Alzate is already at Davy's level as a CM and by the end of the season will have easily surpassed it. Getting to Stephens level will take a bit more doing as his form has been unbelievable so far.

I wonder what Bissouma is thinking

This is a classic case of massively overestimating the ability of a young player to replace a man with years of experience playing in a totally different role in the team. Alzate hasn't been playing in a position with as much responsibility as Pröpper and, without being overly critical of a young player, I'm not sure there's too much tangible contribution you can really point to so far. He was unlucky with the timing of the run at Newcastle, on another day he stays onside that's probably a winning goal. But otherwise, I can't remember him being too involved in the positive moments of the games he's been involved with. He looks very neat and tidy, but it's too soon to start lauding him as our best midfielder...

He has all the potential in the world though, good feet, a good footballing brain and potential to be whatever he wants to be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is a classic case of massively overestimating the ability of a young player to replace a man with years of experience playing in a totally different role in the team. Alzate hasn't been playing in a position with as much responsibility as Pröpper and, without being overly critical of a young player, I'm not sure there's too much tangible contribution you can really point to so far. He was unlucky with the timing of the run at Newcastle, on another day he stays onside that's probably a winning goal. But otherwise, I can't remember him being too involved in the positive moments of the games he's been involved with. He looks very neat and tidy, but it's too soon to start lauding him as our best midfielder...

He has all the potential in the world though, good feet, a good footballing brain and potential to be whatever he wants to be.

This.

It'll be easy to spot #TeamShitehouse in a couple of months time.

The kid is class but is also a kid.
Id be amazed if he can maintain this phenomenonal start.
His form will dip (I can't comprehend him moving ever upward) yet we all know when the dip arrives it won't be just a dip but a massive fall in form from a player who was inexplicably put on a massive pedestal.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

There was certainly a tangible contribution for the winner against Everton.

The difference between the two is that Alzate has impressed me every time i've seen him. Davy, one in two games is quite good.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Mostly agree, but there are degrees of potential. I don’t think you would say a Ronaldo or a Rooney for example were overestimated as first teamers at 19.

Not saying that Alzate is necessarily in that bracket, but if a player is good enough he’s good enough. Regardless of age.

Now I like Propper. A lot. But let’s be honest here, the guy is basically a journeyman. A decent player, but has never set any league alight.

Why limit Alzates potential to Propper.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just class again, what a player we have on our hands.

With more games under his belt, it’s so exciting to think just how good he could become because some of the things he does on the ball now totally belie his age and experience.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This.

It'll be easy to spot #TeamShitehouse in a couple of months time.

The kid is class but is also a kid.
Id be amazed if he can maintain this phenomenonal start.
His form will dip (I can't comprehend him moving ever upward) yet we all know when the dip arrives it won't be just a dip but a massive fall in form from a player who was inexplicably put on a massive pedestal.

Just a very good player.

But, yes as you say, he is learning and will have good and bad moments.

Needs to work on his left foot [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just class again, what a player we have on our hands.

With more games under his belt, it’s so exciting to think just how good he could become because some of the things he does on the ball now totally belie his age and experience.

Is he the best midfielder to come out of our youth set-up? Better than JFC in so many ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here