Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I find it funny how so many people are contrasting Propper and Alzate, Consdering Alzate only had a 3% higher pass completion rate than Proper, and he had the ball taken off of him 50% more than Propper (albeit it was once to Alzate's twice).

Where are these stats?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What penalty ?????

I hope you are being ironic, and not invoking the latest equivalent of the 'it wasn't a goal' trope (when a goal has been given). It was a penalty. It was a physical penalty. It was an existential penalty. It was a correct decision. It is officially a penalty. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where are these stats?

bcb9299e73ed6469f33af72d03d9b87d.jpg

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...and-Premier-League-2019-2020-Brighton-Everton

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Very good player who is learning the game, in the 2nd half he seemed to try and shoot every time he got the ball when better options were available. This things will improve with game time

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Propper was awful today , like to know watch game you were watching

You are officially nuts

His worse game fir a while and I am a real Propper fan.

WHAT exactly did Propper do wrong yesterday? I would not set myself up as the doyen of football analysis, but I thought he was impressive today. All over the pitch, accurate passing, nice touches and silky skills. Genuine question!

Edit - and in general, I didn't think we played that poorly. We weren't as good as against Spurs, but Everton were better than Spurs. Everything is relative.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
WHAT exactly did Propper do wrong yesterday? I would not set myself up as the doyen of football analysis, but I thought he was impressive today. All over the pitch, accurate passing, nice touches and silky skills. Genuine question!

Edit - and in general, I didn't think we played that poorly. We weren't as good as against Spurs, but Everton were better than Spurs. Everything is relative.

Can’t agree with you there mate proppers been poor the past couple of weeks the game in general was dog shite awful too

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Always makes me laugh when people are critical of someone for making basic errors, that they themselves make equally basic errors in their posts (see your quotes in #187). Just shows how easy it is to make mistakes, doesn’t it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I agree. He was the only midfielder of ours who looked remotely competent in the first half when we were under lots of high pressure and we needed midfielders who could get out of small spaces. He also drove us forwards much more than the others.

It’s absolutely no coincidence that Potter swapped him and Alzate to try and get more control over the midfield.

Saying all of that, they were all better than Gross who had probably his worst game for us yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it funny how so many people are contrasting Propper and Alzate, Consdering Alzate only had a 3% higher pass completion rate than Proper, and he had the ball taken off of him 50% more than Propper (albeit it was once to Alzate's twice).
I don't think Albion fans, probably even English football fans generally, have ever got a player with a languid style.

In an ideal world I think we'll be having the debate about Baluta, another player who appears to be very good but reluctant to be all action.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can’t agree with you there mate proppers been poor the past couple of weeks the game in general was dog shite awful too

What makes a good game versus a bad game. Proppers’ pass accuracy was poor yesterday, but was very good against Aston Villa, and he didn’t play the previous game against Tottenham, yet you say he has been poor for a few weeks?

Has Propper been poor, or is it just the usual football fan mentality, where they become jaundiced towards some players and see no good in what they do, whatever the stats or other people think? I have seen this countless times in my time watching The Albion and I am sure it will continue long after Propper has moved on. There will always be a dog shite player in the team, who strangely the manager picks week after week!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think Albion fans, probably even English football fans generally, have ever got a player with a languid style.

In an ideal world I think we'll be having the debate about Baluta, another player who appears to be very good but reluctant to be all action.

Probably fair comment.

But stats rarely show the whole picture and sometimes it’s the areas you lose the ball or what you don’t do with it is most telling.

Propper for example yesterday seems to have divided opinion. I thought along with Alzate he was the pick of our players, which is in complete contrast to how I felt about him at Villa.....

Alzate is just a great talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's getting it.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's MotD's pick from the game.
The Albion on MOTD is like a giant game of whack-a-mole.

They highlight a player of whom the rest of football have never heard.
The next game opportunity said player spends the entire match being kicked up in the air.

But that's ok as MOTD can now highlight another player nobody knows.

So next week we can expect Connolly & Trossard to closely marked.

Nobody is stupid enough to give Gross time and space, which is precisely what the next Albion player to be highlighted by MOTD will get in spades as Alzate fills his boots.

It's a bit like palace with:-

Zaha...

..oh.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Looked to me that starting on the right set the tone for an inconsistent game for him. Looked better when he was put back in the middle but looked like a fish out of water in the fake right wing thingie.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Looked to me that starting on the right set the tone for an inconsistent game for him. Looked better when he was put back in the middle but looked like a fish out of water in the fake right wing thingie.

I quite possibly noticed him more, then, when he was put back in the middle.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I just don’t get what Propper does for the team , can’t tackle , doesn’t create chances , no pace , not dynamic in any way , his control for a Dutch player is poor , Propper didn’t play against spurs best performance of the season , Propper plays today , one of our worse performances of the season , expect Mooy to return along with Trossard for the Norwich match

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I quite possibly noticed him more, then, when he was put back in the middle.
To be fair to Potter, he changed it after around 20 minutes. Whatever plan he had that involved Alzate in the middle and Davy on the right resulted in us being overrun quite a lot. Still didn't fix the issue and the game reminded me of the Fulham home game from a few years ago where they kept getting into the gap between the defence and the midfield. Luckily they mostly wasted it but I was surprised we didn't go 3 at the back to try and plug the hole by having a spare CD to step out. But then given my tactical knowledge peaks at being rubbish at Football Manager, I'll give GP the benefit of the doubt - which I am sure you will agree is magnanimous of me. :smile:

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
What makes a good game versus a bad game. Proppers’ pass accuracy was poor yesterday, but was very good against Aston Villa, and he didn’t play the previous game against Tottenham, yet you say he has been poor for a few weeks?

Has Propper been poor, or is it just the usual football fan mentality, where they become jaundiced towards some players and see no good in what they do, whatever the stats or other people think? I have seen this countless times in my time watching The Albion and I am sure it will continue long after Propper has moved on. There will always be a dog shite player in the team, who strangely the manager picks week after week!

Firstly I said couple not few and in my opinion he was pretty poor against villa generally he’s one of my favourite players and I would not criticise him normally. The game was poor due to awful passing from both sides now I might have been unfairly critical due to our bar raising this season but that’s again my opinion

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
GP moved Alzate out wide when he saw he was struggling in CM. It is a pity he didnt realize that his tactic of continually trying to play a ball over Keane for Maupay and Connolly wasnt working and changed that. The plus is that he is generally prepared to try something different if his original plan isnt working.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
GP moved Alzate out wide when he saw he was struggling in CM. It is a pity he didnt realize that his tactic of continually trying to play a ball over Keane for Maupay and Connolly wasnt working and changed that. The plus is that he is generally prepared to try something different if his original plan isnt working.

I think you are being a bit harsh to say Alzate was struggling, for me if was more of a case of Propper is more effective playing central and Alzate more comfortable with some width. Good change by Potter in my books.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here