Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

almunia penalty stopper

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
who was surprised last night when clown-like almnunia started saving penalties!?

1st nearly saved

2nd one he saved ''illegally'' and he almost got the retake.

3rd/4th saved well.

i was truely shocked. i bet everyone was thinking..especially with kenny in form..that penalties on there home ground looked like a really great chance for united to get through. what a strange yet magnificent game.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kenny did a couple of amazing saves against West Ham in the previous round.

He only dived to his left last night and as he was recovering from an injury I wonder if that was the reason.

Two good goalkeepers in the match.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not surprised. As the commentator said, he is a good shot stopper, its just his decision making in open play that let him down sometimes. Not a lot wrong with the retaken pen, was only a foot or so off his line. Kenny had a dodgy right hip and went off before extra time and pens possibly for painkilling injections but even so didnt look like he wanted to dive that way. He kept feinting to his right to make them go to his left but it looked like they knew this and targetted it.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Does anyone else think that the 'keepers must stay on their line' rule is a joke? I think refs should use some discretion when they're asking for penalties to be retaken. Perhaps allow keepers to move half a yard off their lines as the striker starts his run up? Just a thought....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Does anyone else think that the 'keepers must stay on their line' rule is a joke? I think refs should use some discretion when they're asking for penalties to be retaken. Perhaps allow keepers to move half a yard off their lines as the striker starts his run up? Just a thought....

its very hard to keep tabs on it really. i think it was good to seyt a marker on a live game by making them retake it...though at the time i didnt think so!

you naturally have to dive slightly forwards though(not much) and i imagine if you stayed completly on your line and tried to save a shot in the corner the keeper would hit the post! so i think its just going to come down to a sensible judgement by the lino and hopefully will put an end tro some of the appaling encroachment off the line by keepers like van der sar!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You would then need a marker on the pitch for the half a yard. to make sure they don't take more than that.

They are allowed to move sideways but a penalty should give the striker an advantage not the keeper.

Seasider

Jul 9, 2003
Maidenhead
remember ben roberts last season i think wrexham at home - stodd a yard behind the line so he could step foward onto the line as the penalty was taken, he saved it as he had the foward movement keepers like to make, suprised not more keepers try this.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looked like a Shilton !

Still, it will not enable Arsenal to get the goals back against Bayern Munich. The rest of the Arsenal team looked a bit lightweight on the day.

I am not sure why Sheffield United signed Danny Cullip?

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I thought his feet were pretty much on the line as the penalty was struck, but his upper body was starting to move forward.

All three were good saves

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Something of an oversight by Warnock as far as I could see - I can understand putting an injured Kenny in for the game itself, his experience, handling ability etc. necessary, but for the penalties, when you need an agile keeper, would it not have been better to put Phil Jagielka in goal?

Arsenal noted his injury, and simply slotted every pen to his dodgy right side.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Yep Arsen Wenger did his homework on Kenny. Still dislike the moaning toerag though (wenger that is).

Kenny on the other hand makes me laugh I remember him being sent off at withdean for Bury for swearing or something, didnt he call zamora a vile and disgusting name?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Danny was very much part of the first match, involved with everything. A goal disallowed (which shouldn't have been) and his shot handled which led to the equalising penalty.

I think if he hadn't been suspended last night the Blades would have won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here