Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All ticket matches and all setaer stadiums

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bad taste mate not even as a fishing trip.

Most grounds in the late 80s were absolute crumbling shit holes.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
The thing that gets me is that it was fine for decades and then as a reaction to a couple of incidents (albeit major ones with numerous fatalities), suddenly it's all seater stadiums and goodbye to our beloved terraces along with the great atmosphere they created. Seems like overkill to me. People die on the roads every day, but they haven't banned cars yet.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The thing that gets me is that it was fine for decades and then as a reaction to a couple of incidents (albeit major ones with numerous fatalities), suddenly it's all seater stadiums and goodbye to our beloved terraces along with the great atmosphere they created. Seems like overkill to me. People die on the roads every day, but they haven't banned cars yet.

Although I prefer all seaters, you do have a good point. There should be at least one area of terracing for supporters that still like standing.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This

Try teling that to a mother whose 8 year old son went off to watch a football match and never came home, as has just been mentioned during the comemeroration of the Ibrox disaster.

No it wasn't alright for decades. People had been killed at football grounds long before Hillsborough.

Football stadium disasters
9:15AM BST 12 Apr 2001
1902 - Ibrox Park, Glasgow - 25 are killed and 517 injured when the West Stand collapses during an international between England and Scotland. The game ends in a 1-1 draw but is later erased from official records.

1946 - Burnden Park, Bolton - 33 die and 500 are injured when a wall collapses during a cup tie between Bolton and Stoke.

1955 - Santiago, Chile - Six people died when 70,000 tried to jam into the stadium for the finals of the South American soccer tournament. Argentina beat Chile 1-0.

1964 - Lima, Peru - More than 300 fans die in a riot during an Olympic qualifying match between Argentina and Peru.

1967 - Turkey - A disallowed goal in a Turkish game provokes a riot in which 41 die and 600 are hurt.
1968 - Buenos Aires, Argentina - 74 die after a match between River Plate and Boca Juniors when fans, trying to escape burning newspaper being thrown down from an upper tier, rush towards a gate pushed shut by fans on the other side, unaware of them.

1971 - Ibrox Park, Glasgow - 66 people die in a crowd crush near the end of a match between Celtic and Rangers. The incident occurs when fans leaving the stadium are met by a group trying to return after hearing that Rangers had scored an equaliser.

1971 - Cairo, Egypt - Crowds attempting to enter a match at Zamalek Stadium break down barriers and a wall, leading to 48 deaths and 50 injuries.

1981 - Piraeus, Greece - 24 people die in a stampede as fans rush to leave the ground.

1982 - Moscow, USSR - Up to 340 people are crushed to death when fans leaving the stadium try to re-enter the stands after a last-minute goal in a UEFA Cup tie between Moscow Spartak and Dutch side Haarlem at the Luzhniki stadium, according to Sovietsky Sport. The government newspaper Izvestia puts the death toll at 66.

1982 - Cali, Colombia - 24 people die and 250 are hurt when drunken fans provoke a stampede at a match.

1982 - Algiers, Algeria - A concrete roof at a stadium collapses, killing 10 spectators.

1985 - Valley Parade, Bradford - A fire, which started in rubbish underneath a stand, kills 56 fans.

1985 - Brussels, Belgium - 39 fans, mostly Italians, die in rioting before the European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus at the Heysel Stadium.

1988 - Kathmandu, Nepal - A stampede towards locked exits in a hailstorm at Nepal's national soccer stadium produces the country's worst civilian disaster when 70 fans are killed.

1989 - Hillsborough, Sheffield - 96 people are killed and at least 200 injured in Britain's worst sports disaster after a crowd surge crushes packed fans against barriers at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

1992 - Bastia, France - At least eight people are killed and 400 injured when a crowded temporary stand collapses at a match between Bastia and Marseille.

1996 - Lusaka, Zambia - Nine soccer fans were crushed to death and 78 others injured during a stampede following Zambia's victory over Sudan in a World Cup qualifying game.

1996 - Guatemala City, Guatemala - 84 people died and about 150 others were injured during a stampede at a stadium before a World Cup qualifying match between Guatemala and Costa Rica.

1997 - Lagos, Nigeria - Five fans were crushed to death and more than a dozen were hospitalised when, following Nigeria's 2-1 World Cup qualifying victory over Egypt, the crowd of 40,000 head for exits only to find three of the five main gates locked.

2000 - Monrovia, Liberia - Three people suffocated to death and others were injured as thousands of fans forced their way into an overcrowded stadium for a World Cup qualifier between Liberia and Chad.

2000 - Harare, Zimbabwe - 13 fans died after police fired tear gas into a crowd estimated at 50,000 to quell growing unruliness. The fans were killed in the stampede exiting the stadium.

2001 - Johannesburg, South Africa - At least 43 people were killed, including two children, and 155 injured during a league match between Kaiser Chiefs and Orlando Pirates at an overcrowded soccer stadium. People outside tried to push into Ellis Park stadium and were trapped against barbed wire. Police had earlier fired tear gas at people stampeding outside the stadium.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
The thing is all the government needed to do wqas order clubs to sort the grounds and carry out repairs etc to make them safe they didn't have to make them all seater or all ticket in my opinion. Conditions at grounds are undoubtedly better than they were at the end of the 80's but the fun of just deciding on a friday night or saturday morning to pop along to a game has been lost and as for the price rises OMG! was it £6 to get in the North stand back in 88? Withdean £25 now! Football has become unaccesable to many these days also the atmosphere has gone from stadiums especially where home fans are concerned look at the emirates for the game against Leeds i could only hear the Leeds fans. I occasionally go along to the Galpharm and for the majority of the time the home fans are silent. I can't believe Falmer will be much different it's a shame.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No it wasn't alright for decades. People had been killed at football grounds long before Hillsborough.

1902 - Ibrox Park, Glasgow - 25 are killed and 517 injured when the West Stand collapses during an international between England and Scotland. The game ends in a 1-1 draw but is later erased from official records.

1946 - Burnden Park, Bolton - 33 die and 500 are injured when a wall collapses during a cup tie between Bolton and Stoke.

1955 - Santiago, Chile - Six people died when 70,000 tried to jam into the stadium for the finals of the South American soccer tournament. Argentina beat Chile 1-0.

1964 - Lima, Peru - More than 300 fans die in a riot during an Olympic qualifying match between Argentina and Peru.

1967 - Turkey - A disallowed goal in a Turkish game provokes a riot in which 41 die and 600 are hurt.
1968 - Buenos Aires, Argentina - 74 die after a match between River Plate and Boca Juniors when fans, trying to escape burning newspaper being thrown down from an upper tier, rush towards a gate pushed shut by fans on the other side, unaware of them.

1971 - Ibrox Park, Glasgow - 66 people die in a crowd crush near the end of a match between Celtic and Rangers. The incident occurs when fans leaving the stadium are met by a group trying to return after hearing that Rangers had scored an equaliser.

1971 - Cairo, Egypt - Crowds attempting to enter a match at Zamalek Stadium break down barriers and a wall, leading to 48 deaths and 50 injuries.

1981 - Piraeus, Greece - 24 people die in a stampede as fans rush to leave the ground.

1982 - Moscow, USSR - Up to 340 people are crushed to death when fans leaving the stadium try to re-enter the stands after a last-minute goal in a UEFA Cup tie between Moscow Spartak and Dutch side Haarlem at the Luzhniki stadium, according to Sovietsky Sport. The government newspaper Izvestia puts the death toll at 66.

1982 - Cali, Colombia - 24 people die and 250 are hurt when drunken fans provoke a stampede at a match.

1982 - Algiers, Algeria - A concrete roof at a stadium collapses, killing 10 spectators.

1985 - Valley Parade, Bradford - A fire, which started in rubbish underneath a stand, kills 56 fans.

1985 - Brussels, Belgium - 39 fans, mostly Italians, die in rioting before the European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus at the Heysel Stadium.

1988 - Kathmandu, Nepal - A stampede towards locked exits in a hailstorm at Nepal's national soccer stadium produces the country's worst civilian disaster when 70 fans are killed.

1989 - Hillsborough, Sheffield - 96 people are killed and at least 200 injured in Britain's worst sports disaster after a crowd surge crushes packed fans against barriers at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

1992 - Bastia, France - At least eight people are killed and 400 injured when a crowded temporary stand collapses at a match between Bastia and Marseille.

1996 - Lusaka, Zambia - Nine soccer fans were crushed to death and 78 others injured during a stampede following Zambia's victory over Sudan in a World Cup qualifying game.

1996 - Guatemala City, Guatemala - 84 people died and about 150 others were injured during a stampede at a stadium before a World Cup qualifying match between Guatemala and Costa Rica.

1997 - Lagos, Nigeria - Five fans were crushed to death and more than a dozen were hospitalised when, following Nigeria's 2-1 World Cup qualifying victory over Egypt, the crowd of 40,000 head for exits only to find three of the five main gates locked.

2000 - Monrovia, Liberia - Three people suffocated to death and others were injured as thousands of fans forced their way into an overcrowded stadium for a World Cup qualifier between Liberia and Chad.

2000 - Harare, Zimbabwe - 13 fans died after police fired tear gas into a crowd estimated at 50,000 to quell growing unruliness. The fans were killed in the stampede exiting the stadium.

2001 - Johannesburg, South Africa - At least 43 people were killed, including two children, and 155 injured during a league match between Kaiser Chiefs and Orlando Pirates at an overcrowded soccer stadium. People outside tried to push into Ellis Park stadium and were trapped against barbed wire. Police had earlier fired tear gas at people stampeding outside the stadium.

To be fair, whilst I wouldn't dream of belittling any of those horrific events, very few of them are related to terracing or pay on the gate.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Tragedies could still occur in grounds today. Crowded stairwells at the end of matches, if someone tripped as they did at Ibrox. If something happened in added on time for example. Hillsborough was more police negligence and bad organisation skills, than it was the fault of the terraceing itself. It wasnt the terraces that killed innocent people that day, it was the fences(that are not in grounds anymore). True the terraceing was crumbling but then the stands with the seats were wooden!!It would be as easy(in fact easier) to build a new terrace, than it would a new all seater stand. If the clubs(less maintance and cost) and more importantly the fans, want them back, I see no reason if policed correctly, that they cannot be as safe as a seat. Not to mention bring a bit more passion back into the game. You should be able to pay your money and take your choice. Modern grounds are great sporting areas, no doubt about it but oh for the good old behind goal terrace atmosphere!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I can understand all ticket matches. It is a decent way of controlling who is able to purchase a ticket, but I fail to see why the standing model (Germany being a good example) can't be followed.

Portsmouth stood up for the entirety of the game on Saturday and it happens up and down the country. Why not provide a stand for 'safe standing' if demand requires it?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If you meant all Sitar stadiums then I am afraid you will be sadly disappointed. No way would the police allow 7,500 people turn up at the Withdean dressed and equipped like Ravi Shankar; let alone 23,500 at the Amex.
So no musical instruments , other than Vuvuzuelas, of curse.

TNBA

TTF

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
If you meant all Sitar stadiums then I am afraid you will be sadly disappointed. No way would the police allow 7,500 people turn up at the Withdean dressed and equipped like Ravi Shankar; let alone 23,500 at the Amex.
So no musical instruments , other than Vuvuzuelas, of curse.

TNBA

TTF

Why did you have to say sitar - all i can think of is the background sound in my local curry house and now i'm hungry :(

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think there could still be a place for discreet areas of terracing - that is relatively small areas, which are not too steep and are properly separated so that there are never too many people in one space.

Exeter's away terrace last week, while it is too narrow, was still much more enjoyable than sitting in a stand

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think there could still be a place for discreet areas of terracing - that is relatively small areas, which are not too steep and are properly separated so that there are never too many people in one space.

Exeter's away terrace last week, while it is too narrow, was still much more enjoyable than sitting in a stand

Their home terrace is a beauty too, and certainly helped to generate a great atmosphere, though the fans next to us were the noisiest. How I wished we could have one like that at Falmer, albeit with the good facilities Falmer will have. I must admit I was surprised the stand wasn't rebuilt with seats though. To be honest, I can't see the authorities ever agreeing to terracing again while groups like the Hillsborough Families Association remain opposed, and one can understand why. I'd love to see some terracing back though, even if I wouldn't myself use it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Yes, but how many of them are directly related to terracing? They are just about all a result of mismanaging crowds, rioting or building collapse, none of which would have been any better in an all seater stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here