Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All these offers at the club shop

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great marketing and fantastic offers to get supporters wearing the stripes while making the club a bit of cash?

Or a sign of a club who spectacularly misjudged the amount of replica and training kit required for the new fanbase...

The first one. A year before it is replaced seems very early to start trying to shift all of the existing stock. I would have thought that would happen towards the end of next season.

The second option also assumes you are aware of the stock levels they currently have, which, with all due respect, I doubt you are.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Only changing shirts every two years ??? Revenue stream not totally maximised FFS! :smile:

I'm quite surprised, in these days of squeezing every ha'penny out of punters, we haven't gone to a very Milan/Paris/London-esque SS and FW 'collections'...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think people are replying to WW's reputation rather than the point he raises, which is a fair one. I was certainly surprised at the price-slashing/stock-clearing approach we're currently seeing on shirts that are good for another year or so, technically.

If this was Palace doing the same thing, there'd be a lot of scorn thrown in their direction.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just sounds like a thread trying to put the club down a bit tbh

this. why be such a miserable bastard? i suppose M&S, Top Shop, Next and every other retailer with an end of season sale has "spectacularly misjudged " their stock too?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think people are replying to WW's reputation rather than the point he raises, which is a fair one. I was certainly surprised at the price-slashing/stock-clearing approach we're currently seeing on shirts that are good for another year or so, technically.

If this was Palace doing the same thing, there'd be a lot of scorn thrown in their direction.

Margins are probably pretty high...peeps go in for the offer spend more on other things..can't c a problem

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Oh what a bitter sad existence you must lead, when the only thing you can find to moan about is the club doing a buy one get one free offer on YEAR OLD items.

How you must yearn for the days when we were at Withdean being battered by the likes of Crewe Alexandra, rooted at the bottom of League one and you could wank yourself silly to every view one of your pathetic moanfests generated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No, I don't see it that way at all.
Very few people have any reason to be going to the club, this time of year, but I bet they are still turning over some considerable cash, because of the deal.
The amount of mark up on each shirt, means it's hardly a massive hit to profits.

Not to mention the Albion presence, around Sussex.

It's all good marketing, and maintains the 'hype' for another year.

The difference between us and them up the road, is the club are doing the promo because people want the kit.
Not because so few have been sold over the previous 18 months.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Disagree totally.

These are year old items we are talking about here. Name another business that will still be selling items of that age at top ticket. This is the kind of intelligent approach to merchandising many of us desired to see the club use for years and the poster's viewpoint is nothing but a veiled stab at them.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

As someone else said... We don't have a warehouse full of stock! Surely we order X amount of stock and it's carefully worked out and we can order more if required. There's no way it's cos of mis-judging stock. And I thought we'd been making LOADS from sales of stuff in club shop so surely we didn't get too much in...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Plus, there is LOADS of stuff in the shop that isn't included in the BOGOF deal, much to my disappointment the other day.

Clever by the club if you ask me. Making the most of new season ticket holders wanted to get new kits, etc, and giving revenue a bit of a boost during the off-season, when there is bound to be a natural drop, due to no matchday trade.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As someone else said... We don't have a warehouse full of stock! Surely we order X amount of stock and it's carefully worked out and we can order more if required. There's no way it's cos of mis-judging stock. And I thought we'd been making LOADS from sales of stuff in club shop so surely we didn't get too much in...

I'm not suggesting that there is a warehouse somewhere that is overbrimming with Albion replica kit.

I stand by my 2 key points however...

1. People are giving WW more stick because of his NSC track record.
2. If CPFC were doing this there'd be much piss-taking in their general direction.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Great offer I seem to remember reading somewhere they sold 30k replica shirts last season you can't tell me that did not exceed their expectations. Positive for me the more people we can get in Albion kit the less skanky Chelsea, arsenal, Liverpool, man u shite I have to see in Sussex.

This, I've never seen more Brighton shirts than I have this past year.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe they sold more than they hoped for and decided to cash in at the end of the season with a BOGOF offer. I reckon they still make a handsome profit on them.

Besides, those waivering might well be tempted to get their two kids shirts for £40 as opposed to paying £80 for two [INSERT PREMIERSHIP CLUB] shirts. Those kids might well spend thousands on the club within their lifetime.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Went on the tour today...guide said at the Withdean we averaged around 2 or 3k shirts sold each season. In the first season at the Amex we sold over 24k. Whether they've got leftover stock they need to shift now or not, we still sold 10x more shirts than any other season so I doubt we've made a loss on merchandise.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
2 grandchildren aged 7 and 11 with Brighton shirts they would not normally have got. two new fans for the future, priceless.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
When will people realise that there are many benefits with BOGOF

First, economies of scale of the price when ordering based on the benefits of manufacturing large quantities
Secondly, more people seen wearing them more people want them
Third, more people buy them the more attractive it is to a sponsor
Fourth, the more people buy them the more likely they are to buy the next one
Fifth, there is no fifth
Sixth, we are a brand and a such we need to promote the brand, how wonderful it is to see boys playing in the park in Brighton shirts instead of MUFC or Liverpool

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I've been reliably informed from a reliable sauce that it's actually a very cunning plot to close the borders into Sussex in the near future and you'll only be allowed to enter if you're wearing an Albion shirt. Everyone in Sussex will be wearing Albion shirts all the time and it will become a sea of blue and white stripes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here