Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All accountants are greedy, cash obsessed pond life. Discuss.*

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
So what do you do for a living then before I enter the discussion

Civil Engineer, widely recognized as one of the most boring professions on earth. However, this is not about the work accountants do which is as worthwhile as the next man (or woman). This is about the accountants I know being money obsessed cockends when they are not at work. Like a residual attitude of wanton greed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Civil Engineer, widely recognized as one of the most boring professions on earth. However, this is not about the work accountants do which is as worthwhile as the next man (or woman). This is about the accountants I know being money obsessed cockends when they are not at work. Like a residual attitude of wanton greed.

I know a few civil engineers they are great guys but I'm pretty sure some, who I don't know, are :tosser: who don't understand the concept of generalisation.

I guess you are probably still upset about having to come out the closet, after all, all Brighton fans are faggots, so the away fans have been telling you all season, which must be true of course.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why specifically did he get lucky.... Not following you!

My comments are a wee bit tongue in cheek, I am sure accountants and others are the usual mix, however I am not particularly enamoured by their skills or the fee's they charge.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
So if all accountants do is a few little tricks anyone could learn and then charge lots of money, why doesn't everyone learn the tricks?
Or perhaps its not that simple.

Most the accountants I know are very careful with there money. But I'm sure there is likely to be some who are very ostentatious or egotistical. As not every person is the same, it seems foolish to try and label an entire profession as being exactly the same.
Also to become a chartered accountant you have to have a degree, then find a chartered accountant to train you for another year. Due to it being competitive anything less than a 2:1 won't get you very far. So not exactly pond life.

Perhaps we should find out what the OP does for a living and decide that his profession like to create negative images for parts of society. Or he could just be a journalist.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Perhaps we should find out what the OP does for a living and decide that his profession like to create negative images for parts of society. Or he could just be a journalist.

He's a gay civil engineer, you know, one of those people who can draw pretty pictures of ugly buildings and being a brighton fan is gay like the rest of us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know a few accountants and all they ever seem to talk about is money, how much they earn, how much they could earn, how much their directors earn, how much everyone else earns in comparison. They seem to be linked by a common obsession with trying to outdo their work buddies by buying bigger and more expensive material things before boasting about how much they cost and how big their houses are and how fast their landrovers go and which golf clubs they play at. Maybe I am tarring accountants with the same brush but surely amoebas have more layers to them?

Just sounds like you hang around with twats to be honest, nothing to do with profession.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I doubt there is an accountant out there worse than me with their personal finances.

huge

Mar 23, 2011
Mines a very nice guy. Gives excellent financial advice. Would rather go for a drink with an accountant than an estate agent or recruitment consultant.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Mines a very nice guy. Gives excellent financial advice. Would rather go for a drink with an accountant than an estate agent or recruitment consultant.

Problem is I dont know any accountants that dont go drinking with estate agents or recruitment consultants ....

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Why not get a new one then?

Exactly. It's a competitive business and assuming you are profitable in the first place (and if you aren't, that is hardly the accountant's fault), a good one should save you money.
On a practical note, I have cut my bills drastically by doing as much of it I can myself. There is a brilliant piece of software out there called Kashflow which is like Quickbooks or Sage only for the rest of us (non accountants). I spend a day a month on it and my accountancy bills are now significantly lower than 3 years ago.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Exactly. It's a competitive business and assuming you are profitable in the first place (and if you aren't, that is hardly the accountant's fault), a good one should save you money.
On a practical note, I have cut my bills drastically by doing as much of it I can myself. There is a brilliant piece of software out there called Kashflow which is like Quickbooks or Sage only for the rest of us (non accountants). I spend a day a month on it and my accountancy bills are now significantly lower than 3 years ago.

In all seriousness, I tend to do most of my own accounts, I simply categorise my income and outgoing flows and ask what might be deductible and have a missed something, they then compose my accounts and they charge a charge that represents the work they have done.

Dont get me started on solicitors and vets ...

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
In all seriousness, I tend to do most of my own accounts, I simply categorise my income and outgoing flows and ask what might be deductible and have a missed something, they then compose my accounts and they charge a charge that represents the work they have done.

Dont get me started on solicitors and vets ...

Sounds very similar to my situation. Well as a final note - if you want to know the name of my guy and see if he can save you a few quid I'll send you a PM.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I doubt there is an accountant out there worse than me with their personal finances.

Oh yes there is ...me!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sounds very similar to my situation. Well as a final note - if you want to know the name of my guy and see if he can save you a few quid I'll send you a PM.

Thanks, but after all I said I do have a very good relationship with mine.

kjgood

I am not a certified accountant, however am heavily involved in running the commercial side of a fairly large business unit (£52 million revenue P.A)

My accountant drives a Berlingo TDI, lives in a normal three bedroomed house and doesnt play golf. Does that mean i should sack him as he's not a real accountant?

What a muppet Brighton TID is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here