Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alive & Kicking - no named seats at Falmer

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Got a letter this morning - the club have decided to scrap plans to have name plaques on seats for those who donated £250 or more to the Alive & Kicking Fund. Due to logistical problems and aesthetic concerns they now plan to have a section in the Heritige Walk where those people can have an inscription.

Seems like Dick Knight & Co didn't really think this one through very well. A little disappointed but I can see the club's reasoning.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I never thought they would, really. Shame though

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I can sense the usual crowd will be flocking to beat Dick Knight and there will be a certain amount of outraged messages on Ask the Club.

I didn't think it would happen. We struggle to put stickers on seats, let alone inscriptions. :jester:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know what was promised - if people were told this would happen, then that's not great. But no need for a big row, at the end of the day it was a bit ill-conceived. Why did people give the money in the first place, to help the Albion or to have a big plaque so that everyone else KNEW they helped the Albion. Wasn't giving it, and knowing you'd given it, enough?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I don't know what was promised - if people were told this would happen, then that's not great. But no need for a big row, at the end of the day it was a bit ill-conceived. Why did people give the money in the first place, to help the Albion or to have a big plaque so that everyone else KNEW they helped the Albion. Wasn't giving it, and knowing you'd given it, enough?

Is the correct answer. At least this way everyone can see the names of the people who donated, rather than the person sitting on said chair.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
slightly disappointed but how does this heritage walk differ from all the talk about bricks and such like

(yes I was another one that spunked up the 250 )

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I do prefer the walls of names. I wouldn't want to sit on Sarah Watts or some random.

There is a wall at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. The best contributor being the Count and Countess of Labia.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Was it Bury or Stockport who did the same thing when they were desperate for money? It didn't happen.

The wall/walk is a much better idea.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Wasn't giving it, and knowing you'd given it, enough?

For me?, yes it was. If some gave or gave more because of the added incentive of having their name on a seat for posterity then the ends justify the means, giving is giving after all. I'm not laying the boot in on Dick Knight, they were desperate times, but maybe they could have thought about the possible problems a bit more before making this promise. I think the heritage walk thing is a good idea and has other benefits that the seat thing wouldn't have had.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's a shame that there's no plaque but only a few people would have seen the plaque. Now everyone in the stand could potentially walk past your name each week.

So if you donated out of your love for the club then your a winner and if you donated because you wanted people to know how much you love the club you win on a larger scale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here