Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aldershot back in the Football League

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The club have a 16 year old bottle of rum waiting for the day they return to league.

Finally got opened tonight.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
...which also means one more of the 92 down for me next season from our trip in the Cup a few years ago.

Well done Aldershot :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Didn't realise this was their badge...

Very appropriate.

_44571794_aldershot_203.gif

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
I used to like the old rivalry when we played them in the league. Before things got out of hand on the terraces the rivalry with The Shots was more intense than with Palace.

Their loyal supporters have been rewarded at long last. I hope that they all enjoy a good night with not too many headaches in the morning. Well done The Shots.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Well Done Aldershot

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I can still remember watching us beat Aldershot 3-1 at the Goldstone in the 3rd Round of the Cup (replay) in front of over 29,000. The prize was a home tie against Chelsea. Was also at the 0-0 first game in the rain (about 12,000 watched that one (travelled there on a steam train) Anyone know what year that was ?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I can still remember watching us beat Aldershot 3-1 at the Goldstone in the 3rd Round of the Cup (replay) in front of over 29,000. The prize was a home tie against Chelsea. Was also at the 0-0 first game in the rain (about 12,000 watched that one (travelled there on a steam train) Anyone know what year that was ?
1967. I was at both matches, too.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
my first ever football match was an Aldershot game. All I remember is not being able to see and a tree above me and thinking, is this it?

Very happy to see them back:)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well done the Shots, truly they kept the faith.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
If I remember correctly the 1967 replay game was played in a thick fog and I had great difficulty seeing the the south end.Jack Haworth scored for the Shots.

One of my bosses is going to be even more unbearable than usual as he is an ardent Shots fan and season ticket holder at the Rec. Couple that with working with Pompey fans gearing up to the Cup Final , can we hope that we make the play offs for something for me to cheer about ? (now unlikely with Leeds probably retrieving some lost points-though good results last night.)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Congrats to Aldershot. First away ground I went to was at Aldershot in the 1960's and I still remember the state of their pitch (like the Adur at low tide) and the atmosphere for the FA Cup 2nd round reply with 29,000 plus in the Goldstone.

At the away match, we did not hear a sign of any Aldershot supporters, only a couple going home after the game.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This proves that a football club going bust (as a limited company) isn't necessarily the end of the football club itself.

I think in the case of grossly-mismanaged clubs (Leeds, Leicester, Bradford City and Bournemouth spring immediately to mind) a ten-point penalty and then bending over backwards to let them continue is actually doing more harm than good to football in general. The current system encourages clubs to live beyond their means - if the penalty for going into Administration was expulsion as opposed to a slap on the wrist maybe they'd think twice about 'living the dream' and shafting loads of ordinary people in the process. And as Aldershot (and Accrington) have proved, expulsion isn't the end of the world if the fans truly love their club.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
i think they could go up again next year, seem to play some wuite nice football from what i have seen of them this season, half decent keeper aswell, if he was a bit bigger im sure he would of been at a league club along time ago ( i know he started at qpr )

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
98 points by mid April, they have mullered that league this season.

While the days of Conference winners finding League Two a breeze seem to be over- Barnet, D&R, Morecambe etc have struggled recently- there must be a good chance Aldershot could make it two in a row next season, such has been their dominance this time round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here