Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion U-turn On Wickes 60k Deal

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Albion change tune on deal
by Andy Naylor

Albion have changed their tune over a £60,000 sponsorship boost because it is no longer linked to hated former chairman Bill Archer.

The Seagulls have agreed to sign-up to a deal between the Football League and Wickes Home Improvement Centres for clubs in the Coca-Cola Championship.

The Argus exclusively revealed in September cash-strapped Albion's refusal to take part because of Archer's involvement with Wickes.

At that time the DIY chain was part of the Focus Wickes Group, of which Archer, who sold the club's Goldstone Ground from beneath them in 1995, was chairman and chief executive officer.

Archer has now severed his ties with the company following the recent £950 million sale of Wickes to builders' merchant Travis Perkins.

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "We understand the sale of Wickes has resulted in Archer leaving the company.

"Bearing this in mind, the club has agreed to enter into the Wickes deal."

Wickes are giving a total of £500,000, providing Albion and the other 23 Championship clubs with £20,000 each for the next three seasons.

In return, Wickes will be given the use of club names and players, advertisment boards at grounds and free tickets for matches, including Albion home games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hairy muff. As all links with the antichrist have been severed, I have no problem with this.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yay more cash and its fine with me as the :censored: is there no longer. Good move from the Board IMO

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes... right to take the dosh if that total :tosser: is no longer involved...

I'm not going to quibble. We need the money.

But I'm one of those people who still wouldn't allow myself to look at the Goldstone Retail Park, let alone drive past it or shop there, even if it was sold to Mother Theresa of Calcutta.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yes, we are right to take the money now that A**** is no longer involved.

I still won't shop there though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never go in there but £60K is needed so who cares.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I will still not shop at Wickes, guilt by association!!!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
No problem.. toss face is out of the picture and I don't do DiY so it's cool.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I do a bit of DiY and have always found B&Q more than adequate for my needs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Is there a Wickes on the GRP?

I did have to laugh when the Wickes in Carlisle got wrecked by the floods...

Did you leave the tap on :lolol: ?

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
Gully said:
I do a bit of DiY and have always found B&Q more than adequate for my needs.

A question...
Arn't B&Q part of (or used to be) the group that bought the Goldstone (RIP) site?

You might think for a moment of the 950 million from the sale of Wickes - and the f***ing pittance that The Goldstone meant to archer financially. He 'could' have kept BHA playing in the Goldstone and financd it all just as a little hobby - but his money-grubbing fithy paws lusted for the deal regardless of what it meant to so many.

eurgh, it makes me sick to my STOMACH!

sorry, i felt i had to share that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here