Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion to sell keeper?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion's fourth-choice goalkeeper Richard Martin could be heading for a dream move to Everton.

The Premiership strugglers have asked about the availability of the teenage prospect.

The Seagulls would be willing to sell if the price is right, to provide more funds for manager Mark McGhee in the January transfer window.

Martin, 18, had a trial with Everton's Merseyside rivals Liverpool a couple of years ago.

The highly-rated shot-stopper from Burgess Hill was signed on professional forms by Albion in July, even though he is young enough to still be a scholar.

Martin featured in most of the pre-season friendlies. He started the Championship campaign on the bench as cover for former Aston Villa loan signing Wayne Henderson before the arrival of Frenchman Florent Chaigneau on a year-long loan from Rennes.

McGhee would be reluctant to lose him but Albion have strength-in-depth in the goalkeeping department with Alan Blayney, Michel Kuipers, Chaigneau and John Sullivan, who recently made his debut for the England under-18s.

Selling Martin would give McGhee more scope to strengthen his squad in January, with a goalscoring target man the top priority.

The second half of the £450,000 downpayment from the transfer tribunal fee for ex-Albion leftback Dan Harding is due from Leeds next month.

Centre forward Mark McCammon launches his bid for a return to first team action in the Reserves against Horsham in the Sussex Senior Cup at Queen Street tonight (7.45pm).

McCammon is on his way back from ankle surgery which has sidelined him since the end of August.

McGhee said: "I am looking him to show enough so that we can get him on the bench as quickly as possible, because I still think he is a good option. We have also had an enquiry about Mark from Sunderland, and he needs opportunities to show his skillset before the transfer tribunal opens in January. I won't stand in his way of a chance to prove himself at the highest level"

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
KinkyGoebels said:
If he is that good why are Brighton after another keeper?

Because he is young and inexperienced. I don't think he is ready for first team football.

Everton will want to have their coaches working on him and playing against premiership standard reserves. Plus he will be cheaper without experience and get in there before other teams.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Everton already have four keepers; Martyn, Wright, Turner, and Ruddy.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Martin's been on loan at Kingstonian over the last few weeks and if you check out some of their messages at www.kingstonian.net they rate him quite highly and want to get him permanently.

Kingstonian or Everton, its a toughie!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Beeneys gloves said:
Martin's been on loan at Kingstonian over the last few weeks and if you check out some of their messages at www.kingstonian.net they rate him quite highly and want to get him permanently.

Kingstonian or Everton, its a toughie!!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

That would be the pits if Kingstonians poached a hot young prospect off us!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wonder how much we'd get for an 18 year old who has never played a game for us?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Silent Bob said:
I wonder how much we'd get for an 18 year old who has never played a game for us?

Stoke got 1 million for Ben Foster when he moved to Manchester United in the summer and he hadn't played a 1st team game for them.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I'd think we'd accept £250K up front with clauses based on progress. This would fund wages of a free signing for 2/3 years or could be used as transfer funds.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
y2dave said:
I'd think we'd accept £250K up front with clauses based on progress. This would fund wages of a free signing for 2/3 years or could be used as transfer funds.

Or even better a unknown striker from the depts of south america for 150k, then say there is no money, then again noone is that stupid.......

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If we can get rid of him for a decent amount and we can use the harding money then we SHOULD be able to sign someone half decent like Hayter or Sharp from Scunny or Grant Holt.

Or we could look at old copies of FourFourTwo and see what playesr they thought were gonna make it a few years back but haven't and buy one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here