Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion to launch Virgo appeal

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Albion are appealing against Adam Virgo's red card in last night's 1-1 home draw against Northampton.

DVD evidence will be submitted to the FA, which shows Virgo threw no punches in his grappling match with Northampton's heavyweight striker Adebayo Akinfenwa.

Northampton are also appealing against the red card Akinfenwa received from referee Trevor Kettle.

Virgo is facing an immediate four-match ban for his second dismissal of the season.

Albion to launch Virgo appeal (From The Argus)

Shame...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Northampton are appealing:ohmy:
I couldnt see from my view what virgo did, but Akinfenwa seemed to get up, throw punches, rugby tackle him off the ground and then continue pushing him. From what i saw northampton have absolutely no chance.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i wonder if Dean White will throw a free dvd player in with that DVD that the club sent to the FA to sweeten them up?

24/09/08

Jan 19, 2009
BN1
Why?
I would drop him anyway..
maybe they dont realise that if they appeal and lose it will cost a lot of money, it wont be Little Chef it will be McDonalds next...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
can't believe he has any grounds for an appeal
"honest, I never threw a punch....we was just wrestling"

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I saw Virgo get up and punch Akinfenwa 15 times in the face, and as he rolled over kick him in the bollocks 4 times, pull out a knife and stab him. Deserves a ban until end of the season IMHO (unless played in central defence, in which case we should appeal)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No reason to send anyone off and reduce an 11 a-side game to ten. Ref got it completely wrong; just because it looked like a fight doesn't mean there was one. I was there with 5000 others so unless you were too, then you simply cannot disagree with me on this. Hopefully the FA will see sense and overturn both, if not, at least Adams.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just shows you how first impressions look wrong, at the game I thought he had to go, but now I've changed my mind.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Looked at it several times now, and I don,t understand why the ref sent Virgo off.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No reason to send anyone off and reduce an 11 a-side game to ten. Ref got it completely wrong; just because it looked like a fight doesn't mean there was one. I was there with 5000 others so unless you were too, then you simply cannot disagree with me on this. Hopefully the FA will see sense and overturn both, if not, at least Adams.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Can't work out if this is a sarcastic post or not!

To be honest I think yellows for each would have been just about appropriate. I don't think you see any punches being thrown in the highlights, it mostly just looks like handbags. However, if anything happened in the 'tunnel' as some rumours have suggested, this should be taken more seriously.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I think we were right to appeal after watching the footage again. I didn't see any punches thrown. Akinfenwa was the aggressor, Virgo was just trying to stand his ground.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
To me, but then I am a Virgo admirer, he just tried to grab Akinfenwa to stop him going mental and prevent him for getting into more trouble.

That's how it looks. Clearly Akinfenwa went off his trolley (did anyone else spot the spiteful little kick at Virgo as he was pulled away?). All Virgo appeared to be doing was wrap him up as a means to stop Akinfenwa throwing punches.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At the time, I thought it a fair decision to send both off, but on watching that video I really can't see what Virgo did wrong.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Looking at that I can't see how anyone would argue the ref didn't get it right. Also Kuipers made a complete balls-up for their goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here