Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Signings - The biggest let downs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm not necessarily talking the amount of money we paid, but personally, what signings got you all excited only for them to be massive let downs. Maybe someone on here was actually leaping round the room at getting Phil Neals boy on loan, thinking he'd be a clone of his dad, or the money spent on Mark Farrington was going to catapult us to the next level.

For me, it has always been Micky Thomas.

I can remember it so clearly when we signed him. I was so excited. My team, little old Brighton were taking a player from Man Utd! Not just some young'un as part of a 3 way deal that was costing us Peter Ward, but a straight purchase. This was a proper, regular, fully fledged, always in my Panini album, key Home Internationals player for Wales, Man Utd player that WE were buying.

I remember thinking about Man Utd fans who would be sad to see him go, but that's just tough, Brighton had rocked up and tempted club and player sufficiently that he was coming to us. We'd arrived, Micky Thomas was ours and ...... he was cack!

I don't think even KLL turning up and being rubbish would disappoint me more.

Feb 28, 2006
Eastleigh
I'm not necessarily talking the amount of money we paid, but personally, what signings got you all excited only for them to be massive let downs. Maybe someone on here was actually leaping round the room at getting Phil Neals boy on loan, thinking he'd be a clone of his dad, or the money spent on Mark Farrington was going to catapult us to the next level.

For me, it has always been Micky Thomas.

I can remember it so clearly when we signed him. I was so excited. My team, little old Brighton were taking a player from Man Utd! Not just some young'un as part of a 3 way deal that was costing us Peter Ward, but a straight purchase. This was a proper, regular, fully fledged, always in my Panini album, key Home Internationals player for Wales, Man Utd player that WE were buying.

I remember thinking about Man Utd fans who would be sad to see him go, but that's just tough, Brighton had rocked up and tempted club and player sufficiently that he was coming to us. We'd arrived, Micky Thomas was ours and ...... he was cack!

I don't think even KLL turning up and being rubbish would disappoint me more.

I agree with you, as soon as I read the thread title that bloody Mickey Thomas popped into my head, he led our club well up the path and back, pissed us all around so much, would love to know the full story behind that transfer because he so obviously didn't want to be here, wouldn't turn up for training and matches etc. What a let down he was!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Diego Arismendi.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thomas was dreadful, arguably the worst signing we've ever made.

Farrington was disappointing because we bought him from a big club and paid a 6 figure fee for him, at a time when we simply didn't do that.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I agree with you, as soon as I read the thread title that bloody Mickey Thomas popped into my head, he led our club well up the path and back, pissed us all around so much, would love to know the full story behind that transfer because he so obviously didn't want to be here, wouldn't turn up for training and matches etc. What a let down be was!

I have heard somewhere (possibly an interview with Micky himself) that he "knew he'd made a mistake the first time he drove to Brighton" as it was only then, that he realised just how far it was.

That's does very little to appease me, as it just shows that the stupid, selfish little man saw nothing more than the £££££s being offered, and signed without ever thinking about it properly.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Turienzo. I was convinced we had unearthed a hidden gem - admittedly the basis for this belief was solely that he was Argentinian

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We haven't had one of these for a few months

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Micky Thomas. and Robbie Savage.

But how much were you expecting us to get from Lilly? Seriously?

I expected very little and we got very little, he wasn't a let down for me. He was about what I expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here