Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion set to bid for Currie?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...var.1878005.0.currie_in_favour_for_albion.php

Currie in favour for Albion?
By Andy Naylor
Comment

Albion could launch a renewed bid to lure Darren Currie back to Withdean.

The Seagulls are keeping a close eye on the turmoil at Currie's current club Luton Town.

A ten-point deduction for going into administration has plunged the troubled Hatters to the foot of League One and it has now been revealed that Currie and his team-mates have not been paid since October.
advertisement

The talented 33-year-old midfielder rejected a return to Albion in the summer in favour of a move to Luton.

Currie joined the Seagulls on a free transfer from Wycombe Wanderers in August 2004 and was sold to Ipswich for £250,000 four months later.

He impressed in Luton's recent visit to Withdean and boss Dean Wilkins would love to add him to his promotion-chasing squad.

Albion, unbeaten away since September, will move into a play-off spot if they win at fellow challengers Doncaster Rovers tonight (Tues).

Wilkins' assistant, Dean White, said: "It will be a good test. I think they will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

"They have got a new ground and they have got the finances behind them. Sean O'Driscoll has brought decent players in and we will have to be at our best."

Albion's reserve team fixture against Wycombe Wanderers, scheduled for tomorrow night at Worthing, has been put back to March 26.

The reserves visit Bognor in the Sussex Senior Cup next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Is it just me, or is it a bit mad that everyone is so determined to re-sign him? Even the Argus are speculating....i can't help but feel it's unlikely that there's ANY evidence of us trying to sign him currently. Just because a few NSCers speculate, it makes the argus!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/arg...var.1878005.0.currie_in_favour_for_albion.php

Currie in favour for Albion?
By Andy Naylor
Comment

Albion could launch a renewed bid to lure Darren Currie back to Withdean.

The Seagulls are keeping a close eye on the turmoil at Currie's current club Luton Town.

A ten-point deduction for going into administration has plunged the troubled Hatters to the foot of League One and it has now been revealed that Currie and his team-mates have not been paid since October.
advertisement

The talented 33-year-old midfielder rejected a return to Albion in the summer in favour of a move to Luton.

Currie joined the Seagulls on a free transfer from Wycombe Wanderers in August 2004 and was sold to Ipswich for £250,000 four months later.

Is it just me, or is it a bit mad that everyone is so determined to re-sign him? Even the Argus are speculating....i can't help but feel it's unlikely that there's ANY evidence of us trying to sign him currently. Just because a few NSCers speculate, it makes the argus!

A bit like David Beckham for England. One cross or corner or fee kick could produce a goal to justify his lack of speed ambling around in the midfield.

Stumpy Tim

Currie would be class... especially when teams come to Withdean with 11 behind the ball. He's capable of unlocking a defence with one pass or cross.

By the way, Beckham doesn't amble around the park when he plays for England... he's one of the hardest work players I've seen

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'd be more than happy to have him back in the fold.

Bring a bit more football to the side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No real substance to that story, but I'd happily have him back

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think that he may wait until Luton have sorted their wage situation out which is a pity as I think he'd make a real difference in this division, especially as Forster is living up to expectations. No sure where his arrival would leave Bas though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's one of the only players listed on here in recent months that I actually would have back, because he'd bring something extra to the side.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Isn't that just Andy Naylor picking up on comments on NSC and turning it into a "rumour" story?

I hope so - because it would be a very retrograde move in my book. Who would you rather see.... Coxy and Jakey with their pace and twinkletoes, or Ruby in his lead boots ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I hope so - because it would be a very retrograde move in my book. Who would you rather see.... Coxy and Jakey with their pace and twinkletoes, or Ruby in his lead boots ?

Trouble is as Jimmy Hill used to quote about Peter Beardsley you need that player that will unlock a defence and in this division Currie fits that roll perfectly.

If we are challenging for the play-offs then lower teams will arrive at Withdean with a flat back 5 in defence and Currie would be perfect for that touch of genius. Also he is the best corner taker in the division by a mile - three paces and he puts it right in the danger zone.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Er, Ruby in his Red Boots please.

Someone who can actually cross consistently, more than once every three games please.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He didn't exactly set the world on fire against us, did he ? I didn't even notice he was on this pitch until mid second half.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He didn't exactly set the world on fire against us, did he ? I didn't even notice he was on this pitch until mid second half.

Probably because he was playing with crap players - why do you think Martot turned down Luton ?

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
least he can solve our crap corners, most of them never seem to get beyond the front post

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was EASILY their best player that day. EASILY.

and all their best moves went through him. Held the ball well, very hard to shake off it, found players with most passes, had a good shot from outside the box saved, took nearly all their set pieces and they were good.

He also showed loads of passion and got well pissed off with his teamates for playing so badly.

Why wouldn't we want a player like that?

His pace doesn't matter that much as we have plenty of players who can take on the running around like a headless chicken role. ( there should be a smiley after that btw)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here