Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion fans turn the air blue and white

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
by Rachel Pegg in today's Argus

Anti-Falmer MP Norman Baker has been branded a "fool" on a national radio phone-in on the future of Brighton and Hove Albion.

The Lib Dem member for Lewes told talkSport presenters Graham Beecroft and Alan Brazil and an estimated two million listeners that Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott had been wrong to accept hospitality from The Seagulls when he watched his home team Hull play at the Withdean stadium.

Mr Baker said it was inappropriate for Mr Prescott to accept the invitation while still deciding the club's future.

But hundreds of outraged fans contacted the show to complain.

Darren, from Reading, said: "I remember a statement Norman Baker made that he would rather die than let them have Falmer. He also made a statement that whatever decision was made, he would honour it. That decision was made a long time before Prescott came to see Hull play Brighton.

"Taxpayers' money is being used to fight a cause most people can only see them losing.

"Norman Baker's days as an MP are coming to an end because he won't get voted back in. I can understand it's not an ideal place to have a ground but after four or five years and £3 million just from Brighton Football Club, the decision was made."

Andy, from Brighton, said: "Norman Baker is a fool."

Paul from Bexhill said: "How can you call the Withdean scaffolding and Portaloos hospitality? Wake up Norman, you tube."

Mr Beecroft said he understood the Deputy Prime Minister had spent more time with directors of the Hull club than The Albion at Withdean.

He said: "If Norman Baker is accusing Prescott of taking largesse, I can't imagine a sumptuous feast was served in a Portakabin with scaffolding."

Mr Brazil, the former Scotland, Ipswich, Spurs and Manchester United striker, revealed talkSport was backing the Falmer bid and had posters up in the studio.

He said: "I want Brighton to get the stadium. I used to love playing down at the Goldstone.

"It's a nice area round there - we know it is, but this stadium is going on a site that is very close to a university. The road network around there isn't bad either.

"If they want nice views tell them to go to Brighton races and look out to sea."

Most callers agreed Lewes District Council's bid to reverse Prescott's decision was a waste of money. A court hearing is expected this summer.

Martin, from Brighton, said: "The council won't listen to us. They've gone ahead of their own accord spending our money and it isn't going to succeed. It is £100k down the drain.

"We're very annoyed at our money being wasted on it.

"I think we're going to get our stadium whatever happens."

Mr Baker told The Argus: "People have to separate the issue of whether or not a stadium can be built, which is a matter before the courts, from how a minister is behaving.

"All I have asked is for Prescott to be taken off the case and another minister put on who hasn't compromised his position.

"When you are in a position where you are deciding a planning matter, you must not show partiality to the applicant. If a local councillor were even to accept a cup of tea, that person would be ruled out."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Frankly, I'm amazed this bloke still has the front to go on live radio after the verbal FISTING he got off Martin Perry last year on SCR. The sheer depth of his stupidity seemingly knows no bounds. I suppose the chinless chump is just making the most of whatever publicity he can get while he's still in office, but getting routinely humiliated live on radio is a curious fetish to carry.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Prescott made him his bitch a few months ago and OWNED him in a argument. Sour grapes and trying to kill the Albion in spite.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I hope Norm has never accepted a free beer from the company who's drinks he is trying to get into the House for MPs to get pissed on. I hope he is not using his past as an off-licence manager, or his website to advertise alcohol from one particular company. Surely he should be taken off the House Bar Committee as he has vested interests in drinks companies?

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Look forward to the day of the first home game at Falmer when we should plan something special for him.
Hold a giant banner saying,HOW DO YOU LIKE THE GROUND NOW
MR. A.PRATT (N.BAKER).
You get my drift we should plan something nearer the time.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE:clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
HAMPSHIRE DAVE said:
Look forward to the day of the first home game at Falmer when we should plan something special for him.
Hold a giant banner saying,HOW DO YOU LIKE THE GROUND NOW
MR. A.PRATT (N.BAKER).
You get my drift we should plan something nearer the time.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE:clap2:

How about do it earlier? Have a sign saying "ha-ha you FUCKER" hanging between the construction signs/cranes?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Glad the Ar$egas picked-up on this... more publicity showing Norman is a complete and utter to$$er... :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2:

CoventrySeagull

Jul 7, 2003
Back in HANGLETON
bardo said:
by Rachel Pegg in today's Argus

"All I have asked is for Prescott to be taken off the case and another minister put on who hasn't compromised his position.

All I ask is Baker GET OFF OUR CASE!! Yet another Lib Dem so-called minister who HAS compromised his position by supporting a local district council that is intent on wasting taxpayers money, regardless of the consequences!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here