Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ALbion Fan Banned for...? (West Brom variety)

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...adline=ban-s-a-real-belly-ache-name_page.html

Ban's a real belly-ache May 9 2004

Sunday Mercury

One of West Bromwich Albion's most famous fans - a 20 stone giant known fondly as 'Belly' - has been banned from watching his beloved club for baring his torso.

Belly, whose real name is Ian Kitson, has been barred from attending all soccer matches after being arrested at a Baggies match at Stoke City's Britannia Stadium on Tuesday.

He got into trouble after responding to the Albion fans' chant of 'Belly, belly!' by jumping to his feet and taking off his replica shirt.

But the stunt - a regular feature at Baggies matches - wasn't appreciated by stewards who pounced on Belly and handed him over to the police.

After being held in custody overnight the 41-year-old was charged with encroaching onto the football pitch - and banned from attending matches as part of his bail conditions.

It means the season ticket holder will miss West Brom's last match of the season today at home to Nottingham Forest.

And if found guilty at court he could be subjected to a banning order which will last for a minimum of three years.

Belly, who has been following the Baggies for more than 30 years, says he will plead not guilty to the charge when he appears before magistrates in Stoke-on-Trent later this month.

The married father-of-two told the Sunday Mercury: "I was sitting in the front row of the away end when just after half-time our fans started chanting my nickname.

"As I do regularly, I jumped to my feet, took my shirt off and turned to salute the Baggies fans.

"As I stepped back, three or four stewards grabbed me and took me to a police holding area in the stadium where I was arrested.

"As part of my bail I can't attend football matches or go within three miles of the Albion ground.

"I think it's diabolical. All I did was step back from my seat and turn to the fans. I didn't do anything wrong.

"If I get convicted it's my kids Alex and Brett who are going to suffer because they're season ticket holders and won't be able to go to the games because they're only seven and eight."

The factory worker, from Darlaston, said: "The whole Belly thing started about five or six years ago at a match at Barnsley.

"I took my shirt off and one of the TV commentators pointed it out. Ever since then I've been known as Belly and the fans chant my name at matches."

Belly has received backing from fellow West Brom fans.

Dave Holloway, of Baggies Travel, said: "All I saw was Belly being frog-marched away. He's harmless and just gets the crowd going. I think Stoke went over the top. They probably thought he was going to streak."

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of our fans got ejected at Ipswich for showing his "belly" at their fans.

Obviously a very serious offence :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here