Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion - Champions of All England

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
One hundred years ago exactly as I type, the second half was just underway in the FA Charity Shield match between the Albion and Aston Villa at Chelsea on 5th September 1910.

Raise a glass at 6.45pm to the Albion team that, with a second-half goal from Charlie Webb, defeated Villa 1-0 to earn the title "Champions of All England"!

(The Charity Shield was then contested by the champions of the two leading - and rival - professional English leagues, the Football League and the Southern League.)

There will be an article on this historic event in the match programme next Saturday. We had hoped to reproduce the original match programme from 1910 therein, but I am told the point size of the type came out too small - the original had to be reduced quite a bit - and only the front cover will now be included. Sorry about that.

The Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society ("BHACHS") has issued two collectable items to mark the centenary.

The first is a commemorative postal cover, in similar design to the one with which we marked the centenary of the Southern League title success back in April (which are still available). The stamp will be cancelled with a franking mark bearing today's date and "FA Charity Shield Centenary". (The jpeg below is a bit ropey, but the covers themselves are pristeen.)

cover.jpg

The second item is a set of 16 cards (in cigarette card style) with colour portraits of the players, manager, shield, medal, etc. These will look great in a binder or mounted. On the reverse of each are biographical details. They measure 50mm x 80mm.

cards16.jpg

Both these items are available from the club shop. You can also buy them at the MK match next Saturday when I am hoping to sell them via the programme booths. The price should be £2 for either item, or £3 the pair. If you'd like me to post them to you then PM me. All proceeds go to the funds of BHACHS. Members of the Society get a discount!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great work! This is awesome.... it really brings our club history to life. Love the cigarette cards especially.

D

Deleted User X18H

My goodness this completely slipped everyones mind

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We could have done an ***Official Match Thread*** for it!

D

Deleted User X18H

Did you go Tim?

No, but instead of everyone banging on about Richard Hebberd , Mouth and shit, I would have thought this thread would have been bombarded with views and responses.

I am not in Brighton tonight but those who are should get down to the Seven Stars and raise a glass.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Brilliant !

I hardly need an excuse, but I will be raising a glass or two in honour of this fantastic anniversary. :drink:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Just had a thought, as the match programme is too big to be reproduced in next weeks programme could a reproduction be produced & sold as a seperate item? I'm sure there would be plenty of takers.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's injury time, now!

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Good work that man!!!!

That house in Dyke road still has the comenatrative emblen on it ( to my knowledge)

The council should do something useful for once and make it a listed building.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well done to all the society's hard workers - true heroes of the Albion. If the club has 30,000 followers it would be nice to think that 1,000 could join the society. For £10 a year sub you get a really good newsletter and a nice warm feeling of contributing to the society's work and the wonderful museum at the Amex.

Duncan Muir

Dec 29, 2008
Laughton, East Sussex
They look excellent, Tim.
I will see you at the game on Saturday for a postal cover plus 2 sets of cards to frame (both sides showing).
My Son is 7 today and is really chuffed that he shares this special anniversary ... and insisted, after meeting him and asking about his part in our history, on having WARD 8 on the back of the free tee-shirt that the club sent him for his birthday!
:albion2:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Even my memory doesn't go back that far!

Well done to that fine bunch of Albion lads and well done, Tim, for bringing it to our attention.

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
A spurs fan at work asked me a few weeks ago 'what have brighton ever won?', i replied by telling him about our famous charity shield winning team of 1910 but it was totally lost on a 19yr old premiership fan. It was the albions finest day, champions of england.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They look excellent, Tim.
I will see you at the game on Saturday for a postal cover plus 2 sets of cards to frame (both sides showing).
My Son is 7 today and is really chuffed that he shares this special anniversary ... and insisted, after meeting him and asking about his part in our history, on having WARD 8 on the back of the free tee-shirt that the club sent him for his birthday!
:albion2:

Shouldn't he have a '10' for Charlie Webb instead ?! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here