Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion break attendance records

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seagulls break attendance records

Brighton and Hove Albion are set for the third biggest jump in attendances over a two year period since league football started in 1888. Should they maintain their present average of 25,446 in the Championship, they would have achieved a rise of 246 per cent compared with the figure of 7,351 in 2010-11.

Last season, an average of 20,027 watched their league games, but stadium development has allowed for another rise this season with a capacity of around 27,500 at the Amex Stadium. The capacity at the Withdean Stadium was 8,850.

The biggest two year leap in attendances was achieved by Millwall. They attracted an average of 4,034 in the second tier in 1986-7, but 15,416 in the top division in 1988-89, a rise of 258 per cent. Northampton Town's increase of 246 per cent to 6,316 over two seasons to 1986-87 is the second biggest and will be beaten by Brighton this season if they improve their present average for this season by just ten spectators.

Seagulls break attendance records | The Political Economy of Football

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well looks like another reason for the Brighton board to feel that the golden goose will keep laying regardless of how its treated:facepalm:

Doesn't sound like the Brighton public feel that disgruntled with it all does it ?
A few tweaks here and there of course.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know someone who is a BHA fan and has NEVER been to the AMEX yet and is going to the Newcastle game

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh and take that Palace about attendances :blah: :blah: :blah:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, i mean ALL STHs have chosen to go to the Newcastle cup game :facepalm:

Is the Newcastle game tomorrow then? If it was, there may be a valid argument to say that they have cocked up, but if the attendance for that game is not significantly down, what precisely have they got wrong commercially?

In the 18 months that the Amex has been open, the club has not yet seen anything commercially and financially to say that they have got it wrong. Record attendances, record pie and pint devouring etc etc. Just because the goose called Rev does not like it, does not mean that another goose will not come along to take his place (and may stay to the final whistle).

I see the argument that the club is too commercial, but until such time as they see a backlash, I really don't see that they have much to change. It is a business at the end of the day, as much as some fans don't like that, and particularly with the financial fair play rules coming in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here