Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion art competition.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Proper art, not some cobbled together old pictures like they have at wembley and Norwich to name a couple.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Any artists on here getting involved? What would you like to see in the concourses?

A mural of this

Suzanne%20Shaw.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I have a dream.....and I have mooted this before.

About the dullest part of any new stadium I've been to is the area under the stands, where the shops/kiosks/burgers/toilets/stairways etc are. They are often painted some bland colour, could be anywhere.

Well, remember the Arsenal murel? Well, lets have our own but a 'living' one of real faces.

I've been watching Albion for nearly 40 years and 'faces in the crowd' is very apt. you see people, sometimes over many years. you may be on nodding terms or the odd 'hello' but you don't know them other than being a face in the crowd.

Being next to the University, how about a giant artwork of faces to cover those areas under the stands? people can pay, different rates for different areas so should be affordable for all, to face your, or the face of loved ones, painted as a crowd scene.

Imagine being able to bring back those loved ones so they are next to you on the wall. I know when | die i doubt anyone will come and see where my ashes are laid but, if when coming to falmer they can see me looking down, well, that's different. I could even have a picture of me as a young lad!

This could spread to be a massive work of art and a attraction in it's own right, as well as a fund raiser. £10 per head to be way up in the background or much much more to have a prominent position, maybe in the crowd next to a Wardy of Clough.

The idea is either mad or fantastic, what do you think? I'd love to be imortalised surrounded by my family, even with my Mum & dad alongside the grandchildren they never knew.

Could it work?

richmond

May 30, 2008
I've applied to paint a picture for the club. I'm a professional artist and designer, a member of Oxford Art Society and have exhibited work over the last twelve years, including solo exhibitions.

I've made a formal application along with my CV. The next stage after the closing date of 30 September will be the shortlist and interview.

The Albion are taking this seriously. All the applications I submit for solo shows are accessed on their own merit. I'm often in competition with fifty or more artists - its very much like applying for a job. The idea of turning up with a couple of paintings under your arm and the gallery say 'okay' are a long way from reality.

I do have a theme/idea for the painting but at this stage the club should have first sight. If any members here are interested and I make the shortlist I'll keep you informed and tell you more.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

About the dullest part of any new stadium I've been to is the area under the stands, where the shops/kiosks/burgers/toilets/stairways etc are. They are often painted some bland colour, could be anywhere.

Well, remember the Arsenal murel? Well, lets have our own but a 'living' one of real faces.

I've been watching Albion for nearly 40 years and 'faces in the crowd' is very apt. you see people, sometimes over many years. you may be on nodding terms or the odd 'hello' but you don't know them other than being a face in the crowd.

Being next to the University, how about a giant artwork of faces to cover those areas under the stands? people can pay, different rates for different areas so should be affordable for all, to face your, or the face of loved ones, painted as a crowd scene.

Imagine being able to bring back those loved ones so they are next to you on the wall. I know when | die i doubt anyone will come and see where my ashes are laid but, if when coming to falmer they can see me looking down, well, that's different. I could even have a picture of me as a young lad!

This could spread to be a massive work of art and a attraction in it's own right, as well as a fund raiser. £10 per head to be way up in the background or much much more to have a prominent position, maybe in the crowd next to a Wardy of Clough.

The idea is either mad or fantastic, what do you think? I'd love to be imortalised surrounded by my family, even with my Mum & dad alongside the grandchildren they never knew.

Could it work?

I think this is a bloody briliant idea, but how practical it is to get an artist to do I have no idea. Perhaps the chap above can comment on this?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
those graffiti style images the club used when we first came back to withdean, think it was a link-up with Skint. remember those? there was a nice picture of the players celebrating amongst others.

that sort of thing covering an entire concourse would look nice.

richmond

May 30, 2008
Freddie, have a look on the club website and see the four areas/themes. I think 'friends and families of the Albion' is one of them. Your idea would fall into that area.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this is a bloody briliant idea, but how practical it is to get an artist to do I have no idea. Perhaps the chap above can comment on this?

A crowd picture IS a great idea, but why get an artist ? Surely the club could just take a few crowd shots at Withdean (and away games) and blow the pictures up into a massive wall-sized mural to decorate the walls with.

On the subject of art though, theres a BRILLIANT drawing on here the other day of Gus having a quiet word with Glenn Murray by the dugout after one of his dives ? Loved that pic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
On here recently was a mural on the side of a house which had the Albion logo on it. I thought it looked great. That style of mural of the Albion fanbase would be amazing. The good thing about pictures of crowds/fans is that it will last longer. Murals of the current players (who are not exactly legendary) would be a bit tame in a few years. A few of Wardy etc would be great though.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've applied to paint a picture for the club. I'm a professional artist and designer, a member of Oxford Art Society and have exhibited work over the last twelve years, including solo exhibitions.

I've made a formal application along with my CV. The next stage after the closing date of 30 September will be the shortlist and interview.

The Albion are taking this seriously. All the applications I submit for solo shows are accessed on their own merit. I'm often in competition with fifty or more artists - its very much like applying for a job. The idea of turning up with a couple of paintings under your arm and the gallery say 'okay' are a long way from reality.

I do have a theme/idea for the painting but at this stage the club should have first sight. If any members here are interested and I make the shortlist I'll keep you informed and tell you more.

Please do, will be very interesting. :)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have already written my letter and sent it off. I cleverly typed everything back to front so it would be noticed.

Genius. :lolol:

I'm RUBBISH at art but enjoy a spot of painting. I'm sure the club will snap me up.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My idea of "A face in the crowd" and why it should not be a current pic, is to have it as a timeless tribute and thus include those no longer with us.

I reckon it couldn't be a one man job as such, maybe a good project for the Uni? My idea is that you submit pictures and maybe a little personal note, along the lines of 'he always wore that hat/scarf, smoked a pipe, carried a paper' type thing but the real 'unique selling point' is that you can include people no longer here so your face could be seen in the crowd with a dearly departed loved one.

There would even be scope for me to be, as i am now, surrounded by family, but also to hve the 'young' me there too.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Could it work?

In 2006 I produced exactly this for England fans making up a mural of a picture of Bobby Moore holding up the trophy in '66. In an Albion version each pic would be around 5 inches square.

It can be done again and I have sent the proposal to the club.

Watch this space & fingers crossed.

Pic below is the England one that was reproduced on a giant flag for Germany 2006 and was a proper talking point among fans of England and all the other nations...

Attachments

• bobby_moore_mosaic_argus.jpg
    bobby_moore_mosaic_argus.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In 2006 I produced exactly this for England fans making up a mural of a picture of Bobby Moore holding up the trophy in '66. In an Albion version each pic would be around 5 inches square.

It can be done again and I have sent the proposal to the club.

Watch this space & fingers crossed.

THAT is bloody AMAZING. MINT. You have got to win and do something like this!!! Maybe you can get NSCers to send you photographs of themselves to use - maybe to form Cullip lifting the trophy or something like that? I'd LOVE to have my pic / my dad's pic in Falmer in something like this! :thumbsup: GREAT idea mate.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Gripper, thats very impressive, how was it done?

Gaussian blurthe pic and overly the pictures, one by one at about 75% transparency?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here