Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Smith - a bit rubbish really

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is anyone else slightly confused by Alan Smiths God-like status at Elland Road ? Eddie Gray said on Saturday: "I don't think there has ever been a bigger hero at Leeds United than Alan Smith". WHHHAAA ?

Yes he's a good young player who's come up through the ranks at Leeds, and he's served them well. But he made no secret of the fact that as soon as Leeds drop out of the Premiership, he's offski. Can't blame him, and everyone knows he'd be sold pretty much whether he likes it or not. But whats the difference between Smith stating he'll have to leave the club because he is a "Premiership player", and Jermaine Defoe's transfer request the day after West Ham were relegated last year ? At least Smith gave prior warning I suppose, but it amounts to exactly the same thing doesn't it ? I get the distinct impression that even if Leeds were not already telegraphing to all and sundry that they'd be selling off the crown jewels once they go down, Smith would be looking to jump ship pretty sharpish anyway. How very convenient to pin your "inevitable" transfer to the financial strife at Elland Road. "I don't want to leave, but I just have to" *sob*

Smith's penalty on Saturday was his 9th goal of the season - a fairly pitiful return for a player who is thought of so highly. I thought I really rated Alan Smith, but now, when I come to think of it, I can't remember seeing too much in the way of outstanding performances from him at all. Sure he's a trier, and his attitude is infinately better than the likes of that utter waste of space Viduka. But is he REALLY all that good ? Perhaps playing in such a poor team has dragged down his level of performace, but he's not stood out for me as the star player I thought he was, and hasn't come up with much of a return to keep Leeds in the Prem. And I wish he'd spared us all the "trembling lip" act at Bolton last week. I really don't think he really justifies all the hype around him.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I'm in tertal agreement with you there Easy. If he really loved Leeds he'd try and get them back up next year

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
to be fair he is leeds through and through and has been there since he was 9. he says in all the interviews that he cant stay because he will HAVE to be sold whatever happens. and he is pushing for an england spot and there is no way he can do that in the first division. he has been loyal to leeds and those tears were real in my opinions

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I agree you big goatee bearded BASTARD.

Smith is okay, nothing more. He is a fighter but I have seen nothing to make me think that he is anything more than that. Until he plays with better players we won't be able to judge his actual ability but I fear he'll never get that chance.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
to be fair he is leeds through and through and has been there since he was 9. he says in all the interviews that he cant stay because he will HAVE to be sold whatever happens. and he is pushing for an england spot and there is no way he can do that in the first division. he has been loyal to leeds and those tears were real in my opinions

I agree .... there are unfortunately too few heart and soul one club players these days espacially in the Premiership ... clubs need more players like Smith .... even his sale will benefit the club he loves

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Overrated and overhyped by the Leeds fans though if you ask me. Lets face it, they'll cling on to ANY hero in these desperate times. He doesn't score enough as a striker, and he's not particularly effective in midfield.

OK he's been playing in a crap team, but quality tends to shine through. Look at Heffernan - 21 goals for a team that finished 23rd.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think he is more a player who is suited to playing attacking midfield or in the hole. It is unfair to say he has not made it a secret he would be off because in his defence the club themselves have said he would be sold at the end of the season and already hired agents to tout for prospective buyers, so its not really a case of him ditching them.

I would certainly not mind him playing for us and it clubs like Inter Milan, Valencia, Man Utd and Liverpool are after him, he cant be THAT bad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I agree you big goatee bearded BASTARD.
Sweet-talking won't get you anywhere with me sunshine.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Clubs should have more players like alan smith who really care about them, not just the money they are earning.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
bhafc4eva said:
Clubs should have more players like alan smith who really care about them, not just the money they are earning.

I would "really care" about the club if I was getting paid his sort of money. To be fair to Alan Smith, if Viduka had an ounce of the enthusiasm for the club that Smith had, perhaps Leeds wouldn't have been relegated. Viduka was just taking the complete piss. Peter Reid had the right idea about him. He is the last person on earth you want in your team for a relegation dogfight.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
On the Left Wing said:
I agree .... there are unfortunately too few heart and soul one club players these days espacially in the Premiership ... clubs need more players like Smith .... even his sale will benefit the club he loves

exactly. he is an absolute legend for leeds and really only him milner and the lesser youngsters(Kilgallen and richardsaon) were the only ones really fighting for the cause. viduka and co just turned up, did f*** all and picked up the wages

sure smith gets paid loads but he loves that club through and through and in interviews was saying how he wanted to come back straight away once they come back into the premiership(i reckon they have a chance). he is almost treating his inevitable transfer as a loan type situation and that shows how much he loves leeds. good on him

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe I'm cynical then, but playing Devils Advocate, if Leeds were actually looking to hold Smith to his contract, I severely doubt he'd hang around in Division One. He'd kiss the badge and then jump ship the first chance he got.

I don't doubt he loves the club, etc etc...but lets not kid ourselves. When push comes to shove, he'll look after number 1. And I don't blame him for that, its just that I am finding that this huge love-in between Alan Smith and all those deluded Leeds fans is making me a bit nauseous.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agree in parts Easy. But the fact that so many top sides are sniffing around sort of suggests he is highly rated and has something going for him.

I quite like him as a player, but the acid test will be if he can score 20 goals in a decent side.

Will reserve my final judgement till the end of next season.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree with you Easy. As somebody remearked in one of the papers why is Alan Smith so highly rated? If you want to pay a lot of money for someone who doesn't score many goals you're better of buying Emile Heskey who at least doesn't get booked so much.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
He may be rubbish but he is Leeds through and through (apparently even though he is walking out). I am sure we have all had crap players who we have adored

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
He is not the goalscoring striker. He is often played in midfield or out wide.

He has been pretty much the only player putting in 100% for Leeds this season.

But as Martin Samuel said: "If they wanted a striker who didn't score goals, they could sign Emile Heskey for £4m - and he doesn't get booked as much."

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He's not that good but guaranteed to get either booked or sent off in most games he plays

Over-rated. A good player, to be sure, but not the amazing player some make him out to be.

I can appreciate why the Leeds fans love him, though - he really does wear his heart on his sleeve and clearly loves the club.

BUT the best thing he could do for the club - including financially - is to take a 50% salary cut and stay on to fight for promotion. Leeds won't really get that much for him, and they'll have to spend half that trying to get a replacement who won't be as good or care as much. If they don't come back up next season then, yeah, leave then (perhaps) - he won't get stuck in the division if he is that good (Matt Holland is the model here).

Whatever happened to the Steve Bulls of the world? - now he is, deservedly, a true club hero at Wolves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here