Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Navarro to be offered new deal

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I like Navarro as a player- have done since watching him play for Milton Keynes a couple of times when they won League Two a few years back- but I can't help thinking that he isn't going to be able to handle the pace of the Championship. His vision and passing range are second to none in our squad, but he doesn't have the tenacity, flair and pace of Bridcutt. Would be a handy player to have on the bench to see out the last 10 minutes of a game maybe, but I don't think he'd be able to challenge Bridcutt for a place in the starting line-up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
brilliant alan well done! always knew you were up to it!!!!! he'll be starting next season.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Naylor says some sort of contract...not sure what that means, maybe that he just doesn't know the details yet.

Or maybe he just doesn't know fck all.

Lets be honest Naylor seems out of touch when it comes to all things albion lately. Cms and todays story in the argus about how we on NSC are all moaning about the stadium. When the club have asked for comments.

That said I hope Navs does get a new deal.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think he'll do fine, purely because his strengths are in doing the simple things well. Those things don't change at any level of football.

One piece of EVIDENCE I'll offer for this, is that 18 months back, when the squad were just getting to grips with the Poyet revolution, we went to Villa in the cup. Navarro absolutely shone that day, and looked totally comfortable against Premiership midfielders.

Well worth a place in the squad. Kishishev's place, in fact.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think he'll do fine, purely because his strengths are in doing the simple things well. Those things don't change at any level of football.

One piece of EVIDENCE I'll offer for this, is that 18 months back, when the squad were just getting to grips with the Poyet revolution, we went to Villa in the cup. Navarro absolutely shone that day, and looked totally comfortable against Premiership midfielders.

this...... and his wages should be quite cheap as well

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
According to Naylor - Plus Gus got sent off :lolol:

http://twitter.com/#!/andynaylorargus

Great about Navarro getting a new contract. I thought the Navarro, Croft and Elliott midfield was the best three we have had. So when Croft left and Navarro got injured, I never thought we had a chance last year. They were all a bit lightweight physically though.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I said that he is not my type of player. I do not like defensive midfielders if this is the type of player Navarro is. Playing this type of player slows the game down. I prefer to watch exciting attacking football. Good luck to him but with another club.

Makelele, Fletcher, Busquets, Lucas, Alonso, Deschamps, Gilberto, Mascherano:

Don't meet your attacking criteria, but the best midfields have at least one of these players, to let the others attack.

Think back pre-Bridcutt's chance. Poyet already had a great team playing exciting football & Navarro was integral.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Exactly.
Pre-his injury I can't remember anyone slagging him. Was great with Dicker, Bennett, Crofts etc. Lived up to Poyet's criteria, and still does.

Well done Navarro, and Poyet.

Can't think why he's gone down in some people's estimations?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Maybe people have forgotten. Sure he's unlikely to quite be as good as Bridcutt and might not have massive upside, but a solid back-up and probably cheap, knows the system and the boys, and will do the club proud IF called on. Much rather spend money elsewhere.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pleased for Navs, but I do think we need some more players with a bit more height / physical presence, including in central midfield, and he is unproven at Championship level...

Makelele, Fletcher, Busquets, Lucas, Alonso, Deschamps, Gilberto, Mascherano:

Don't meet your attacking criteria, but the best midfields have at least one of these players, to let the others attack.

Think back pre-Bridcutt's chance. Poyet already had a great team playing exciting football & Navarro was integral.

You can't put Navarro in the same class as the players you've mentioned especially as they take responsibility and do get forward with the ball as well as tackle where as Navarro gets rid of the it ASAP and does not get stuck in. When was the last time you saw Navarro have a shot or score?

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
You can't put Navarro in the same class as the players you've mentioned especially as they take responsibility and do get forward with the ball as well as tackle where as Navarro gets rid of the it ASAP and does not get stuck in. When was the last time you saw Navarro have a shot or score?

Hung by your own petard dear boy, every last one of those players mentioned is a famous defensive midfielder, and you don't like defensive midfielders per se. What is Darren Fletcher's scoring record for a team that walks the Premier League every year and always reaches the latter stages in Europe? Saying Navarro isn't in the same class as Mascerano is a truism, you're daft even saying that. Craig Mickail Smith isn't in the same class as Wayne Rooney, does that mean we've wasted £2.5M on him?

Even pub teams have defensive midfielders

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You can't put Navarro in the same class as the players you've mentioned especially as they take responsibility and do get forward with the ball as well as tackle where as Navarro gets rid of the it ASAP and does not get stuck in.

Nobody is putting Navarro in the class of those players, because the rest of the team is not in the class of those players. When did Makele ever get forward? When they used to do shooting drills at Chelsea Mourinho used to send him back to the changing room.

The problem is that you don't understand the game, and think everyone should be an attacking player. All the top teams today use at least one defensive midfielder, if not two. It allows the other players freer roam to get forward. If there were no defensive midfielders the game would be less, not more attacking. But clearly you aren't intelligent enough to understand that.

When was the last time you saw Navarro have a shot or score?

You talk utter rubbish anyway -

Claude Makaele 689 career appearances, 19 goals (1 every 36.2 matches)
Alan Navarro 253 career appearences, 9 goals (1 every 28.1 matches)

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

Yeah. f*** it. We dont need defensive midfielders. They are so BORING.

I just want flair, I want the ball going FORWARDS and I want it NOW. And we had better win too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here