Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Navarro to be offered new deal

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Navarro is one of the most skilful players in the squad, his vision is good too - look at the across the park balls he was hitting for fun for us before he was injured, with our wingers switching sides and him getting the ball to them, we had opposing teams running ragged. He's neat and gets stuck in where it matters too - in the middle of the park. He's a great little player, with everything you need for a modern midfielder.

There's some strange comments on this place re football, but the man who counts - Gus Poyet - sees something in him, even after he's laid out big dollar for a whole batch of expensive players. So, I'll take Poyet's view on Alan Navarro over some NSC div's

Thankee very mulch

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Not my type of player. Looks busy without actually doing anything of importance. Never runs with the ball and tackles less than Wendy (Wilkins) ever did. Has he ever had a shot for Brighton? Squad player one thinks. Good luck to him but he will eventually be found out.

this. never been impressed with the fat-nav. his injury, and the introduction of bridcutt to replace him, played a big part in our success last year. in my view. he's very slow, poor defensively, doesn't really dictate play, and offers next to nothing in the final third. don't understand gus' enthusiasm for him. however in gus i trust so if gus thinks he's worth a contract then who am i to disagree.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Navarro is one of the most skilful players in the squad, his vision is good too - look at the across the park balls he was hitting for fun for us before he was injured, with our wingers switching sides and him getting the ball to them, we had opposing teams running ragged. He's neat and gets stuck in where it matters too - in the middle of the park. He's a great little player, with everything you need for a modern midfielder.

There's some strange comments on this place re football, but the man who counts - Gus Poyet - sees something in him, even after he's laid out big dollar for a whole batch of expensive players. So, I'll take Poyet's view on Alan Navarro over some NSC div's

Thankee very mulch

really? do you genuinely think he's more skillful than mackail-smith or gary dicker or calde for example? the player you describe above is the superb liam bridcutt who IS the complete modern midfielder and will shine this season

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I think he's a better all round player than both Dicker and Calderon, less flash admittedly, but I've always like the water-carriers. I've yet to see enough of CMS aprt from when he's been playing against us.

I'd like to see a midefield with both Bridcutt and Navarro in it, we have great wingers to do their stuff after these two have cleaned up (Bridcutt) and delivered (Navarro)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A fully-fit Navarro back to his best is worth signing. When he came back at the end of last season I wasn't convinced, obviously he must have progressed since then.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good news, fully fit he is quality and will mean that Bridcutt can't drop his standards because Navarro will be pushing for a starting place.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im happy with this signing, hes great cover for Bridcutt in that holding role.
We really need a box to box goalscoring centre midfielder...altho I still think Sparrow can do that, but think Gus wants a bit more quality in that position.

Mark24

Mar 1, 2010
Hove
Good player, always makes himself available for a pass and rarely wastes the ball... Can tackle when needed and looks very fit at the moment (which hasn't always been the case...). Competition for Bridcutt and won't let us down... another good signing...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I didn't rate the guy at all when he first came to the club, but my God: how he made me think again! He was arguably our most consistent player before his serious injury & I'm very pleased to see he's fought his way back to fitness & convinced Gus of his worth.

ps I think young Master Bridcutt will benefit from AN's nous & experience too.

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I think he's a better all round player than both Dicker and Calderon, less flash admittedly, but I've always like the water-carriers. I've yet to see enough of CMS aprt from when he's been playing against us.

I'd like to see a midefield with both Bridcutt and Navarro in it, we have great wingers to do their stuff after these two have cleaned up (Bridcutt) and delivered (Navarro)

you think he's a better player than Calderon? seriously? you think fat-nav who has played his entire career in the lower leagues in the UK is a better player than somebody who has played in La Liga... somebody who southampton were desperate to sign last year, somebody who has just had his long-term contract extended for another year to help ensure we're properly compensated should a big-money bid arrive this season? weird.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
That's great news imo, thought he looked good at Colchester for first game back

Agree with this. At Colchester after all that time out he looked classy on the ball and brought an air of calm to the midfield.

We cant have 10 outfield players out there under the age of 28, we need some experience. Last year Kish added it, this year I think Nav's can bring that experience to the side.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
This is good news if he signs. Given he's likely to start off as being Bridcutt's understudy, I don't think we can do much better in that position. I'd rather we spent more heavily on an attacking central midfielder, which I think the squad is lacking a bit at the moment.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Think we still need some height upfront with proven championship record. A center half is obv high on the priority list too.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
you think he's a better player than Calderon? seriously? you think fat-nav who has played his entire career in the lower leagues in the UK is a better player than somebody who has played in La Liga... somebody who southampton were desperate to sign last year, somebody who has just had his long-term contract extended for another year to help ensure we're properly compensated should a big-money bid arrive this season? weird.

Calderon isn't even our best full back, he was shit in the run-in last season, overrated because he has nice hair and is Spanish. The La Liga is also shit once you get past about four teams, and look at some of the clowns who've turned out in our own top league (Calderon is not a clown BTW, but I'm using this analogy to show you that it doesn't follow that playing in a top league automatically means you're the bollocks) . This doesn't make Calde a bad player, he's not, but he's not as impressive as some people think he is. "Fat Nav" is a better all-round footballer, midfield is far harder place to play than full back, I've played both and full back is easily the safest position on the park.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Until Navarro's injury and Bridcutt's rise, Navarro was a class act in that role in front of the defence, and fitted in very well with Poyet's style of play.

If true, pleased.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Calderon isn't even our best full back, he was shit in the run-in last season, overrated because he has nice hair and is Spanish. The La Liga is also shit once you get past about four teams, and look at some of the clowns who've turned out in our own top league (Calderon is not a clown BTW, but I'm using this analogy to show you that it doesn't follow that playing in a top league automatically means you're the bollocks) . This doesn't make Calde a bad player, he's not, but he's not as impressive as some people think he is. "Fat Nav" is a better all-round footballer, midfield is far harder place to play than full back, I've played both and full back is easily the safest position on the park.

i look forward to fat-nav appearing in a top European league anyday soon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hope he gets a season deal - he may be limited but what he is there to do he does well. Won't let us down and a good influence for youngsters

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not my type of player. Looks busy without actually doing anything of importance. Never runs with the ball and tackles less than Wendy (Wilkins) ever did. Has he ever had a shot for Brighton? Squad player one thinks. Good luck to him but he will eventually be found out.

Are you one of the people who shouts "Get it forward" when we are keeping the ball when 3-0 up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here