Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Davies/Hilsborough

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nobody is saying it should be forgotten, least of all AD. But what he is saying is that football shouldn't stop. What more fitting memorial could their be to the Liverpool fans who never came home than the team they supported being so highly motivated that they never lose a match if scheduled for one day of the year?

Two minutes silence, black arm bands all round and a roll call of the names of the 96. Then a jolly good celebration of football.

they guy from Liverpool fanzine sid this morning that all the players, club officials etc etc go to memorial services on that day and therefore they would not be able to put out a team

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd have a lot more respect for Liverpool if they just took the view that they would avoid playing on the 15th April where possible.

In this situation, it is obvious that they really should play on the Sunday because now it means Chelsea get just two days rest before their Champions League Semi. If Liverpool had been told that it needed to play on the 15th, and they turned round and said "we can't do that, so we're prepared to financially compensate Sky/Espn/ITV out of our own pockets and play on the Friday night instead", then they'd have the upmost respect from me. But no. They've unilaterally decided they should be treated differently, despite the inconvenience to everyone else. A complete lack of class.

Presumably Liverpool have told UEFA that they won't ever play a European final on 29th May too. Or do Italian people not count?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In my mind, the GREATEST tribute the fans of Liverpool could pay to the deceased is to turn up to a football match on the day of the disaster and sit in the all-seater arena which is the one positive to come from a truly shocking disaster.

I don't believe in people 'looking down on you' when they've passed, but surely they were all football lovers, and the best showing of rememberance would be for both sides of liverpool to unite on the same day to celebrate the lives of those lost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think the semi finals should be at Wembley in any case, so therefore the choice of days would be irrelevant. It should go back to neutral grounds.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Alan Davies has got this all wrong. The 96 people who died that day, went to watch their beloved Liverpool in a FA Cup Semi-Final against Forest. These 96 people never came back, the families of those 96 haven't got justice nearly 23 years on. It is the worst Footballing Disaster this country has ever witnessed and it should never be FORGOTTEN!!!

What has Alan Davies got wrong? You seem to be arguing different points.

It was a disaster that had the most casualties, but I am not sure it is a contest between worst and least worst.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Alan Davies has got this all wrong. The 96 people who died that day, went to watch their beloved Liverpool in a FA Cup Semi-Final against Forest. These 96 people never came back, the families of those 96 haven't got justice nearly 23 years on. It is the worst Footballing Disaster this country has ever witnessed and it should never be FORGOTTEN!!!

I am not aware that it has been forgotten, unlike another football tragedy involving the same club that is rarely mentioned, and the blame transferred to Chelsea/Napoli/Juve fans.

By all means ask not to play on that date, but a bit of consistency in respect of the forgotten 39 would show more humanity and humility.

Every time someone tries to start a sensible debate about the merits and demerits of safe standing at grounds arises one of the Hillsborough families is dragged onto the screen (rightly) condemning what happened on that dreadful day and progress is aborted.

Terraces didn't kill those poor souls, incompetent policing, lazy crowd control, a government that viewed football fans as dangerous animals and therefore caged them were the prime causes. A jibbing culture amongst the fanbase cannot be ignored, but if the authorities had done their job correctly this was easily overcome.

By all means boycott The Sun (I still do), but do more than tokenism. Those who don't buy the 30p a day rag (proprietor Rupert Murdoch) on Merseyside seem to have no qualms paying £50 a month for Sky (proprietor Rupert Murdoch).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I am not aware that it has been forgotten, unlike another football tragedy involving the same club that is rarely mentioned, and the blame transferred to Chelsea/Napoli/Juve fans.

By all means ask not to play on that date, but a bit of consistency in respect of the forgotten 39 would show more humanity and humility.

Every time someone tries to start a sensible debate about the merits and demerits of safe standing at grounds arises one of the Hillsborough families is dragged onto the screen (rightly) condemning what happened on that dreadful day and progress is aborted.

Terraces didn't kill those poor souls, incompetent policing, lazy crowd control, a government that viewed football fans as dangerous animals and therefore caged them were the prime causes. A jibbing culture amongst the fanbase cannot be ignored, but if the authorities had done their job correctly this was easily overcome.

By all means boycott The Sun (I still do), but do more than tokenism. Those who don't buy the 30p a day rag (proprietor Rupert Murdoch) on Merseyside seem to have no qualms paying £50 a month for Sky (proprietor Rupert Murdoch).

This El Pres

Tho in our recent trip to Anfield I saw a very small plaque on one of the stands dedicated to the 39 at Heysel.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Wonder if current players CHOOSE to go to the memorial service?

Yes they have all got to be there. Steven Gerrard Autobiography stated, that every new player or current member of the squad. Have it written in their contracts, they have to be present at every Memorial service. The Foreigners who Liverpool buy in the Summer. Also get told about the Disaster and not to buy the Sun Newspaper, so it really isn't a choice, it's more of a showing of togetherness.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Yes they have all got to be there. Steven Gerrard Autobiography stated, that every new player or current member of the squad. Have it written in their contracts, they have to be present at every Memorial service. The Foreigners who Liverpool buy in the Summer. Also get told about the Disaster and not to buy the Sun Newspaper, so it really isn't a choice, it's more of a showing of togetherness.

So no, they don't choose to go...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

The only reason I watch The Simpsons is because it's my little way of saying I don't care about Hillsborough

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
For any in doubt about the legendary Scouse sense of humour, he's getting death threats on Twitter apparently

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here