Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AJ for England - Dowie

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
AJ for England - Dowie

Crystal Palace manager Iain Dowie has urged Sven Goran Eriksson to give Andy Johnson his chance to shine on the world stage.

On Saturday the England coach will name his squad for the friendly with Holland at Villa Park next Wednesday, with Johnson tipped to be handed his first call-up.

The Crystal Palace striker, who has scored 15 goals this season, is the Premiership's leading English goalscorer and his manager believes that Eriksson should go with form and hand him his international spurs.

Dowie said: "Andy certainly wouldn't be out of place in the England team. He's a proper player and would get in any side. It's no fluke what he's done; he got 32 last year and has got 15 this season in a struggling team.

"He works terrifically hard for the team - I'd be amazed if there's another Premiership forward who puts in more effort. I wouldn't swap him for anyone."

Johnson, 23, was close to a call-up for England's friendly in Spain last November but Eriksson decided it was too early to draft him into the squad.

However, his assistant Tord Grip reassured him that he was "certain" of inclusion for the Holland game if he continued his impressive start to the season.

On that basis, the former Birmingham striker seems a certainty for the squad. He has scored seven goals in his last seven Premiership outings, including the opening strike in Palace's 2-2 draw at West Brom on Tuesday.

Dowie added: "I'm hopeful he will get called up, for his sake. He's a quality lad and a quality player.

"Playing international football would also improve him immensely because he would be playing with better players.

"Guys like David Beckham are able to drop the ball on an inch square. He has had balls like that from our lads this season but, consistently, the best players in the world put the ball where you want it every time.

"I thought he was a little bit on his heels in the first half against West Brom but then he picked up in the second half and got a great goal.

"Getting involved with England would do a massive amount for his confidence."

Dowie, who also confirmed Palace did not receive any bids for Johnson during the transfer window, believes there is more to come from his leading marksman.

He added: "He will certainly improve. He will mature and make better runs as he gets older.

"I've been working a lot with him on curtailing his runs into the wings when the ball is getting near the area, because that's when we want him around goal.

"He's also a leader in the dressing room. He was very vocal at half-time in the West Brom game, very pumped up, and that created a good atmosphere for the whole squad. That's an area of his game which has come on this season."

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think he will play if only to cement him as an England international incase he gets pissed off and decides to play for Poland.

Deserves a decent run out.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Although he is a Palace player in this case I think Johnson should be given a go.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
perth seagull said:
He needs to play for a bigger club before being selected for England, IMHO.
Interesting you say that. I hope Sven doesnt have your mentality. He's scored 15 Premiership goals in a struggling team, imagine how many he'll get in a good team. Definitely should be included.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Play him, he scores a hat-trick and we all cheer (because he plays for ENGLAND in that game not the SCUM) as he's beeing subbed to a standing ovation, he trips up over his laces and breaks his left arm ruling him out for 2 months. Thus SCUM cant score goals, drift into the relegation zone and are relegated by the time he comes back...everyones happy :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Two words.

Michael.

Ricketts.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Marcus
Stuart

Kevin
Beattie

Luther
Blissett

In all honesty AJ needs at least two seasons consistently scoring at the highest level regardless who he plays for. Actually the only saving grace for AJ is that he is playing in a sh1te team and managed to bag a few goals, if he was up front for say Chelsea then he might have more but maybe not as England, like Palace are a one dimensional long ball team. So AJ will fit in quite well thinking about it.

All the above have been one season wonders. Everyone clamours for them to be picked and then they turn out to be crap. And the next season they are crap for their club side too.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
If he plays against the Dutch, it will not tie him to England as it is only a friendly. If he comes on against Northern Ireland, then he is stuck with England.

Or, more likely, England are stuck with him.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And by the way Ian Dowie: "he works terrifically hard for the team"??

Well so does Charlie Oatway mate, but nobody's suggested he's the best bet next time Beckham's having his hair done.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Why does Dowie keep harping on about AJ? It's all I ever hear from the ugly git. He doesn't pick the England team so should shut the f*** up.

I reckon it's all about getting a good price for him when they go down and are forced to sell him. He obviously won't stay at Selhurst for much longer, especially if they go down.

I'm pretty sure he would get found out , it takes a lot more than hard work at international level.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
*has scotland shirt on hold for if SVEN makes another mistake*

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Second highest scorer in the Premiership

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here