Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agents Fees

Here is the link to the Football League site:

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/f6/64/0,,10794~25846,00.pdf

It shows our spending on agents fees last season. On previous threads some people had the idea that Seb Carole came to us for free. He didn't however as is sais on the club site:

http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/LatestDetail/0,,10433~866931,00.html

£259,000 divided by 3 = £86,333 for each player roughly. Well then that was 2x £86,333 = £172,666 wasted on Carole and Turienzo last season then.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Southover Street Seagull said:

£259,000 divided by 3 = £86,333 for each player roughly. Well then that was 2x £86,333 = £172,666 wasted on Carole and Turienzo last season then.

Not exactly wasted but I can see your point.

Ok then wasted on Tureinzo. Maybe wasted on Carole in the short term, but if we get some decent players off the same agent not wasted in the long term?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/f6/64/0,,10794~25846,00.pdf

It shows our spending on agents fees last season. On previous threads some people had the idea that Seb Carole came to us for free. He didn't however as is sais on the club site:

http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/LatestDetail/0,,10433~866931,00.html

Boring. We all know that Turienzo was not good value for money but when you have limited resources you must gamble sometimes.

Remember Darren Currie. We made a profit of £250,000 from him although people who attack McGhee forget that. Not all our buys have been bad.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Darren Currie was free. He'd always been a good player in the English lower leagues. We had him on trial for some time

Federico Turienzo was £150,000. He was a complete unknown, we had him for 45 minutes against Lewes, not even a training session, and a DVD.

One good transfer doesn't give you license to make an awful one, which is what the Turienzo one was, especially given the amount of strikers who have played in the English leagues that were available for free at the time.

The idea that we wasted money on Carole (was it about £50,000, him and Frutos were about £100,000 for both) last season is laughable - worth every penny we spent.

If we have to pay this agent exactly the same amount again, £50,000, to secure the triallist left-back - it will be money well spent.

Do you agree or not Southover? Or do you just think we can magic up good players for free without fees to either clubs or agents? ???

Last edited:

Silent Bob said:
One good transfer doesn't give you license to make an awful one, which is what the Turienzo one was, especially given the amount of strikers who have played in the English leagues that were available for free at the time.
It's a shame we have to have this El Turi thing over and over again. We took a gamble on him for one main reason - his wages were low given the experience he had on his CV. It didn't work out - it happens at every club. Dowie wasted a million on Macken. The only way we will never make mistakes in never to sign any players - no thanks.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
The only way we will never make mistakes in never to sign any players - no thanks.

That is a bit simplistic. There are degrees of risk and gamble. I think we would all agree that taking Jermain Defoe or Darren Bent to the World Cup instead of Theo Walcott would be a good example of this, ie far less of a gamble.

The Turienzo punt, given the money involved which for us was significant, was bordering on reckless especially given what else you could have got for £150,000. Sure, if he had got 20 goals we wouldn't be having this thread. But he didn't, and never was going to - which is kind of the point.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Agents Fees

Finchley Seagull said:
Boring. We all know that Turienzo was not good value for money but when you have limited resources you must gamble sometimes.

Remember Darren Currie. We made a profit of £250,000 from him although people who attack McGhee forget that. Not all our buys have been bad.

And Mcghee didnt make all the signings.....

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Finchley Seagull said:

And the McGhee bashers should also bare in mind that we got £500K or so for a piece of dog crap AKA Harding, and £1.5 million for a rookie in Adam Virgo. Personally I'd have thought £250k a piece would have been taking the piss for these players, but McGhee has managed to make others believe they are worth the money.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Re: Re: Re: Agents Fees

Mr Burns said:
. . . . . we got £500K or so for a piece of dog crap AKA Harding

. . . . . . and your mouth is the big arse that spews out crap. It's just below the space where most people have a brain.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Agents Fees

nobody's dupe said:
. . . . . . and your mouth is the big arse that spews out crap. it's just below the space where most people have a brain.

I think for once we agree

London Irish said:
The idea that we wasted money on Carole (was it about £50,000, him and Frutos were about £100,000 for both) last season is laughable - worth every penny we spent.

If we have to pay this agent exactly the same amount again, £50,000, to secure the triallist left-back - it will be money well spent.

Do you agree or not Southover? Or do you just think we can magic up good players for free without fees to either clubs or agents? ???

If the agent that we used to buy Carole comes up with some new talent that can help us acheive promotion then it was money well spent on Carole. But how can you say Carole was worth every penny we spent? LI football is a results based business. Did Carole score enough or create enough goals last season to keep us up? No. We payed £50,000 for him, payed him a seasons wages and then he went on a free transfer to Leeds. Not good business in my book. But as I said earlier if the link we have with his agent now helps unearth some new talent that help acheive promotion the Seb Carole will have been worth every penny.

London Irish said:
It's a shame we have to have this El Turi thing over and over again. We took a gamble on him for one main reason - his wages were low given the experience he had on his CV. It didn't work out - it happens at every club. Dowie wasted a million on Macken. The only way we will never make mistakes in never to sign any players - no thanks.

It happens at every club, yes this is true. But LI don't you think £150,000 to a club like ours would have been better spent perhaps on a season long loan for someone like Gifton Noel-Williams perhaps? Rather than gamble on an unknown quantity. You have to speculate to accumulate this I know. I do realise mistakes will be made, Alex Revell is a bit of a gamble, but not an expensive one.

Do you agree or not Southover? Or do you just think we can magic up good players for free without fees to either clubs or agents? ??? [/B][/QUOTE]

I will agree if it turns out that the leftback will play in that position for most of the season and do a good job for us. If he turns out to be rubbish then I'm afraid I will say it's money poorly spent.

I don't think we can magic up good players for nothing either, I just think for a club in our financial position we need to be a bit more careful about who we sign and how much for.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
And don't forget the £80,000 we gave 'The Argie' this summer to leave..........
The chairman is forever banging on about how he has a good eye for a player, one word springs to mind "Cataracts".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:

They may have been free, but who knows their wage demands? Good chance we couldn't come close to paying the wages of a decent striker. I may be wrong but I gather Turienzo, Carole and Frutos were all linked to the same agent, two out of three isn't bad given the risks we, as paupers, had to take and the fact that DK was the driving force behind the signing of Turienzo, allegedly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Harty said:
And don't forget the £80,000 we gave 'The Argie' this summer to leave..........
The chairman is forever banging on about how he has a good eye for a player, one word springs to mind "Cataracts".

Do you know if that was all his wages for the next season or a %

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Re: Re: Re: Re: Agents Fees

nobody's dupe said:
. . . . . . and your mouth is the big arse that spews out crap. It's just below the space where most people have a brain.
Ah that's nice. So we have something in common then.
I always thought my mouth was under my nose?:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here