Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After Bradley Wiggins SMASHES the field to win gold today..

Is Bradley Wiggins our greatest ever sportsman?

• Total voters

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Medals aside, Thomson is also immense in my book for WHISTLING the National Anthem on the podium.

Don't forget his facial fungus. ONLY a decathlete could wear a tach so well.

AND he is Gareth Keenan's choice to be stranded on a desert island with.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
18 events. He could never be arsed with the 1500m (and, fortunately, he didn't have to be arsed) - he just lolloped around like some non-trying Chinese badminton player.

Much like me on the Spectrum version. I'd make sure I built up enough points so the 1500m at the end didn't really matter.

Javelin yes. Hurdles yes. Long jump yes. But I couldn't really be bothered to round it all off with a 4 minute joystick-waggle
(whereas these days its the highlight of my evening).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Measured purely in terms of Olympic success only, you are probably right. But the poll is for greatest ever GB SPORTSMAN.

He did it in pretty well every event he entered , for YEARS, so he IS the greatest ever GB SPORTSMAN. The fact that he did so many events means that there is no argument, especially if you are measuring it against a cyclist who needs his mates, who aren't allowed to race him, to help him out.

Edit - I don't claim to be a font of knowledge on cycling but do you really have a TEAM where only one person matters? Bizarre

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't forget his facial fungus. ONLY a decathlete could wear a tach so well.

AND he is Gareth Keenan's choice to be stranded on a desert island with.

Its a good point. One of the only men who could somehow sport a moustache WITHOUT looking gay. The only others I can think of who ever came close to doing that is Adolf Hitler and Fatima Whitbread.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Like I said for allot of the events at the olympics skill isn't even a requirement. It's just dedication. There is only one way you can ride a bike, once you learn how to do that then it's just practice and dedication. Likewise for running, throwing events, jumping events etc etc.

Ok there are few factors that do come into it for certain events like body type but there isn't allot an individual can do about that other than keeping themselves in shape.

I dont think the olympics is really about people demonstrating incredible skill. I personally think its more about watching the pinnacle of the human race pushing themselves to the limit. It's the rawest form of sport... who can sprint the quickest, who can jump the highest, who can swim the fastest etc etc.

You're over simplifying the whole thing. Just because skill isn't required it doesn't stop them being great sportsmen. They have dedicated their lives to improving themselves as much as possible. So if Wiggo does win today, in the sport that arguably requires the most training and dedication, there is definitely a case for him being our greatest sportsman. Skill doesn't constitute sport. Athleticism is far more important in my opinion.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
If the general mood on this thread is correct, Wiggins must be the lay of the year at 1.48.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't do any more for Team Wiggo.

I've had a wager on Tony Martin.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Odd that we haven't taken cycling medals yet.

Stat, I seem to remember we had a heated debate about Team GB last time round and you said our cycling bods were not entered unless they were going to win a medal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Odd that we haven't taken cycling medals yet.

Stat, I seem to remember we had a heated debate about Team GB last time round and you said our cycling bods were not entered unless they were going to win a medal.
That is correct, and again nobody has been included into any event just to make up the numbers.
Something akin to the rowing this year.

For the record, sadly, I don't believe lightening will strike twice in the velodrome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here