Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

afc wimbledon

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
ok, i have a serious football question for once.

i was talking to my old man about afc wimbledon and he asked how, when they first formed, they got a team together.
I thought i once read somewhere that the held trials on wimbledon common, anyone could turn up and they got their first squad together from that.
I have looked on the history section of their website but it doesn't say anything about it.

So, is it true that the held trials on wimbledon common in 2002 or did i dream up hearing that?

thanks

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Tokyo Seagull said:
You could check out their website.

AFC Wimbledon

thank you.

however, without meaning to be rude, my original post included the following:

'I have looked on the history section of their website but it doesn't say anything about it.'

cheers

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Last edited:

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
I think they did have 'open' trials. Not sure where though. Loads of relatively good old players turned up.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
thanks very much timco.

i really hope they get in the league one day, preferably meeting mk dons as they go the other way, with them playing in the same league for one season in which afc wimbledon beat mk dons 10-0 home and away and storm to the championship whilst mk dons get relegated with record low points.

Sea

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Yeah i remember reading that in the local paper around the time that AFC Wimbledon was set up, they were looking for local people or Wimbledon fans to come along to play

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I definitely remember hearing about trials on Wimbledon common too. If my memory serves me correctly one of the first players they picked up was ex-Chelsea youngster Joe Sheerin, or am i just coming across as sad for remebering that?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
They did have trials on Wimbledon common. Many ex Wimbledon players attended to help out, as did Terry Burton.

Joe Sheerin was the best of the lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here