Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

advice needed from gamers

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
my son has 360 live,plays mainly footy and cod games,but has come home saying,he wants a ps3 instead,as all his mates are apparently changing over(to be confirmed).Now im well happy with it but could you advice as to what is better?im aware that the games are dearer and the choice for ps3 isnt as good,i also have a modded controller and 3 wireless controllers,is it worth really,swapping over

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
here we go again...

right

360 is my console of choice and I love it to pieces , better selection of games etc

PS3 is starting to catch up - a decent amount of good games for it now and just seems to have more people switching over to it ( free online gaming helps with this I guess)

the gap between the difference of quality of each is diminishing

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Show him your old spectrum and say this is what we had to play with in the 'Olden Days' and say be pleased you've got an Xbox. Kids these days! Pah!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Show him your old spectrum and say this is what we had to play with in the 'Olden Days' and say be pleased you've got an Xbox. Kids these days! Pah!

of course THIS is the correct answer - the bloody younger generation then me don't know what they are missing

(oh sorry I put too much there , I meant "this")

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I have both, I like both, some games are better on X-Box, some are better on PS3. The games aren't necessarily dearer, there are always bargains around. No one in their right mind should buy a game from a high street store without checking Play or The Hut, or PriceMinster or whatever. There is also a big second hand market for games.

Both consoles have their exclusives, I won't list them here. Some games have exclusive content for different consoles (eg Red Dead Redemption, which has an exclusive mission for the PS3).

The PS3 controllers can be bought cheap, but you're obviously not happy about swapping and presumably you're not going to get the PS3 in addition to your X-Box!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
a decent amount of good games for it now and just seems to have more people switching over to it ( free online gaming helps with this I guess)

You are aware of Playstation Plus, the new subscription service offering enhanced content for £39.99 a year? The ordinary non-plus service still offers free online gaming, of course.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

spectrum? spectrum you say? why, a spectrum would have been bloody luxury! We had to make do with a Binatone 10 games in one system in my day. Tell that to kids nowadays......

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
You guys have not lived unless you have played this! Absolute classic. I love this for years and the music!

I give you... Penguin Adventure.

[yt]RSzQI1Raf0s[/yt]

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If we wants to play games, go for the Xbox 360.

If we wants to watch blu-rays, browse the internet etc, then go for the PS3.

We have both at home, and the choice of games is far superior on the 360, and the PS3 only gets used for watching dvd's and blu-rays.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Send your child out to play proper football. And stop pandering to his line of "everyone else is getting this......" Christ, what's wrong with parents today? Send to bed without any supper for the cheek of asking for a £300 toy when he's already got a £150 one!!!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Just wait until Easy 10 and Mellotron come along....

It is mainly a matter of opinion. My opinion is that a PS3 is superior to an X -box and I would definitely invest in one if I was in your position.

A point to consider is if the bluray player will be of benefit to you?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
PS......PS3 is best :thumbsup:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
You are aware of Playstation Plus, the new subscription service offering enhanced content for £39.99 a year? The ordinary non-plus service still offers free online gaming, of course.

to be honest no I wasn't , I'm guessing that may interest some gamers too - the fact that the PS3 offers free online gaming when the 360 sadly doesn't is its major plus I guess

sod it , it's all about alcohol + mates + Wii :thumbsup:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Simple answer is that the PS3 is the better machine, both in terms of technical quality and reliability.

Both consoles have their own exclusives (you can't get Halo on a PS3 but you can't get Uncharted on an Xbox) so that simply boils down to whether or not there is any one single game exclusive to the Xbox that you couldn't live without.

Online play will never cost you anything on the PS3 whilst Xbox users have to pay a subscription.

The PS3 is also a much quieter and sleeker piece of kit. Especially now the new slim edition has been released you can tuck in the shiny bit of lovely anywhere you like any barely ever notice it.

You can also watch Blu Ray films on your PS3 which the Xbox obviously can't.

It is quite straight forward, the PS3 is a BETTER machine but I do understand your concerns over swapping from one to the other as you wouldn't get much money for the Xbox and its games if you got rid of it all and obviously buying a PS3 as well as all the games you want will be a fair whack to your pocket.

I made the switch from 360 to PS3 a few years ago and have never looked back.

You also want to look at the track record of the two manufacturers

Sony are responsible for the Walkman, Bravia TVs, Blu Ray, superb Hi-Fi systems AND the best-selling games console in world history (the PS2).

Microsoft you can blame for Windows Vista, that annoying paperclip that used to bollocks up your Word documents, the "iPod rival" Zune (which you'll likely have never seen as NOBODY bought one), the MSN Smart Watch (which will stop working next year as Microsoft drops the technology needed to run them) and Windows ME (often called Mistake Edition, this made even Vista look capable).

Last year TIME magazine made a list of the biggest technology failings of our generation. Microsoft made the list twice. Sony do not feature.

Time Makes A List Of Tech Failures, Microsoft Makes It Twice

And as a final decider for you the Xbox 360 has a failure rate of 54.2% which means it is MORE LIKELY to go wrong than it is to work as it should do.

Survey: Xbox 360 Failure Rate Is Over 50%, People Don't Care

I think you know what to do

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
for gods sake, before we go into a console war in which I am CERTAIN Mellotron will be involved in, if he wants a PS3, tell him to save up and help him out if his birthday is coming up soon, if that fails ask if he wants one for christmas but tell him he will get slightly less, they're pretty much identical consoles and evenly matched consoles owning a PS3 and having played the 360 many times before I can say that will be pretty much confirmed, but the PC WILL outstrip both of them, it always does in the end.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Simple answer is that the PS3 is the better machine, both in terms of technical quality and reliability.

Both consoles have their own exclusives (you can't get Halo on a PS3 but you can't get Uncharted on an Xbox) so that simply boils down to whether or not there is any one single game exclusive to the Xbox that you couldn't live without.

Online play will never cost you anything on the PS3 whilst Xbox users have to pay a subscription.

The PS3 is also a much quieter and sleeker piece of kit. Especially now the new slim edition has been released you can tuck in the shiny bit of lovely anywhere you like any barely ever notice it.

You can also watch Blu Ray films on your PS3 which the Xbox obviously can't.

It is quite straight forward, the PS3 is a BETTER machine but I do understand your concerns over swapping from one to the other as you wouldn't get much money for the Xbox and its games if you got rid of it all and obviously buying a PS3 as well as all the games you want will be a fair whack to your pocket.

I made the switch from 360 to PS3 a few years ago and have never looked back.

You also want to look at the track record of the two manufacturers

Sony are responsible for the Walkman, Bravia TVs, Blu Ray, superb Hi-Fi systems AND the best-selling games console in world history (the PS2).

Microsoft you can blame for Windows Vista, that annoying paperclip that used to bollocks up your Word documents, the "iPod rival" Zune (which you'll likely have never seen as NOBODY bought one), the MSN Smart Watch (which will stop working next year as Microsoft drops the technology needed to run them) and Windows ME (often called Mistake Edition, this made even Vista look capable).

Last year TIME magazine made a list of the biggest technology failings of our generation. Microsoft made the list twice. Sony do not feature.

Time Makes A List Of Tech Failures, Microsoft Makes It Twice

And as a final decider for you the Xbox 360 has a failure rate of 54.2% which means it is MORE LIKELY to go wrong than it is to work as it should do.

Survey: Xbox 360 Failure Rate Is Over 50%, People Don't Care

I think you know what to do

Interesting and somewhat biased summary.

As stated before, the only reason to buy a PS3 if you already own an Xbox 360 is for the Blu-ray player. There is no one game on the PS3 which would persuade anyone to buying a PS3 on top of an Xbox 360.

So the question is, do you want to spend £300 on a PS3 or £100 on a blu-ray player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here