Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

adidas force Capello to pick Beckham

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Fixtures?

Oh well...

From another message board:

"Adidas are set to be named the official kit supplier for the England football team from 2009 and rumour has it they've put great pressure on the English FA to include Becks in the England squad in order for him to achieve 100 caps.

The £35 million deal between the FA and Adidas will only be signed if Becks reaches 100 caps as he will be used as a major advertisement in over 200 countries, with people saluting his achievement. With the FA struggling to re-pay for the redevelopment of Wembley, this sort of deal is too good to turn down and the FA have insisted to Fabio Capello, England manager, that he select and play Beckham before the start of next season".

Thoughts, anyone?

scarfer1

Jun 1, 2004
London
I heard something similar but it was for Beckham to win his 100th cap in the hastily organised friendly against the USA at Wembley. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

The most important thing is to get Beckham his 100th cap and then the whole issue goes away!

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
No more shite from Umbro then.

Isn't the new red shirt a 2 yearer though ???

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Trouble is that he - and we - will always know that the 100th cap was devalued. He should never be given the chance since he is well over the hill - so it makes a bit of a mockery of it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Would be a bit strange considering all his 100 caps would've been while wearing Umbro shirts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Italian manager, German kit supplier........sadly the only thing we cannot swop for foreign quality is the crappy footballers themselves.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Rather Umbro than that German shite.

I myself find the Adidas shirts rather smart and appealing, wondering what colour the three stripes will be though

Umbro's England shirts (especially the home one's) have been rather poor in my opinion

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
So now we will have the same kit as a number of other countries with different colours. I liked being one of the only nations with Umbro and with a British company making it (even though they are owned by Nike now I think)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
NO MORE UMBRO?

Thats the best news I have heard today, they knock out turgid horrible England kits, whereas Adidas shirts are style.

That Beckham story is pure urban myth imo.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Trouble is that he - and we - will always know that the 100th cap was devalued. He should never be given the chance since he is well over the hill - so it makes a bit of a mockery of it.

I think you mean "idiots like me who believe ubstantiated rubbish will always think his 100th cap is devalued"

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
personally i think that is bollocks about Adidas forcing the hand of the FA. The England shirt is one of the highest selling shirts in the world and they would not need to come to a deal about 1 player because Nike and others would be biding huge amounts anyway. That also does not take into account that Capello is very strong headed and would not have any player forced on him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Joke, surely? Lineker just had to swallow the fact that he wasn't picked to make whatever milestone cap it was why can't Beckham just accept that he's the past and leave it be. Hope Capello refuses to run with it if true.

Edit just seen the other thread. Money wins, quelle supris

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here