Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo - WTF ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can someone please explain to me WHY Adams decided to deploy Adam Virgo on the right side of midfield today ? Whats the thinking behind THAT ?

Is he quick ? No.
Can he get round a fullback ? No.
Can he cross a ball ? No.
Does he provide an outlet ? No.

Cheltenhams defending was almost as USELESS as ours, and that was with us only having an attacking option down ONE side. Imagine how they'd have coped if we'd actually had TWO wingers on the pitch running at them. Even if Cox and Robinson are out of favour, what the f*** is Anyinsah here for if Virgo is actually in front of him for a slot on our flanks ? I know Virgo is versatile, but this is getting f***ing ridiculous when we're shoe-horning him in any pissing where in the team when we've got PROPER attacking options sat there picking their arses on the bench. What did we get from Virgo today ? NOTHING. Not that it was his fault, its stretching things to play him in midfield, but putting him wide right is an absolute joke.

SORT IT OUT Adams, cos my patience is wearing thin with this shit now.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Virgo is the best defender currently at the club. That is where he should be.

Last edited:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Virgo into centre back in place of Hawkins, Anyinsah into right midfield - thread closed.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
woeful decision, Adams never seems to want to fully commit a team to win the 3 points. Today was crying out for 2 wingers from the off.

But then he did play for Celtic don't you know

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who is a better defender at our club than him?

Whats that got to do with anything ?
Virgo was played RIGHT WING today. What the CHRIST is going on there then ? Did you understand it ? Cos I'm f***ed if I know.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can someone please explain to me WHY Adams decided to deploy Adam Virgo on the right side of midfield today ? Whats the thinking behind THAT ?

The only reason must be it is written in his contract.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War

Is he quick ? No.
Can he get round a fullback ? No.
Can he cross a ball ? No.
Does he provide an outlet ? No.

Cheltenhams defending was almost as USELESS as ours, and that was with us only having an attacking option down ONE side. Imagine how they'd have coped if we'd actually had TWO wingers on the pitch running at them. Even if Cox and Robinson are out of favour, what the f*** is Anyinsah here for if Virgo is actually in front of him for a slot on our flanks ? I know Virgo is versatile, but this is getting f***ing ridiculous when we're shoe-horning him in any pissing where in the team when we've got PROPER attacking options sat there picking their arses on the bench. What did we get from Virgo today ? NOTHING. Not that it was his fault, its stretching things to play him in midfield, but putting him wide right is an absolute joke.

SORT IT OUT Adams, cos my patience is wearing thin with this shit now.

Absolutely agree, why the hell did MA drop Joe from last weeks two superb performances. It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Adams wants the world RECORD for the maximum amount of centre backs on the pitch at any one time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whats that got to do with anything ?
Virgo was played RIGHT WING today. What the CHRIST is going on there then ? Did you understand it ? Cos I'm f***ed if I know.

Sorry misread an earlier post and thought that it said Virgo was the 2nd best defender at the club hence my question who is better than him.

I agree with you it is a ridiculous waste of his talent to play him in any midfield position but more so as a winger. We need him in the defence.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The defensive frailties are one thing, thats a whole other thread. But we had the players here to CANE that lot this afternoon, that match could and should have been an absolute walkover. Thornton looked quality, Murray was on fire, Forster ran his socks off, Savage was knitting things together with some lovely touches in the middle. Yet we STILL contrived to f*** it all up.

If Anyinsah had been on the pitch instead of Virgo, that match would have ended up being a cricket score, theres NO WAY Cheltenham could've handled him AND Thornton on that form. Instead we get a pissing DRAW against a team who had until today picked up a big fat zero on the road. And WE were hanging on against THEM.

Rancid.

fairy cakes

Jun 23, 2008
we have 3 loan midfielders in who are very good. How the hell does Virgo get to play in midfield? I think Thornton is class act and I hope we can keep him for longer. Towards the end of the game we had 2 defenders and a defensive midfielder in midfield. It simply invites pressure on us. The exact thing happened against Northampton (we did have that virus that was going around).

Either Virgo gets dropped or you drop Hawkins, either one I really don't mind but just don't have Virgo in midfield.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The defensive frailties are one thing, thats a whole other thread. But we had the players here to CANE that lot this afternoon, that match could and should have been an absolute walkover. Thornton looked quality, Murray was on fire, Forster ran his socks off, Savage was knitting things together with some lovely touches in the middle. Yet we STILL contrived to f*** it all up.

If Anyinsah had been on the pitch instead of Virgo, that match would have ended up being a cricket score, theres NO WAY Cheltenham could've handled him AND Thornton on that form. Instead we get a pissing DRAW against a team who had until today picked up a big fat zero on the road. And WE were hanging on against THEM.

Rancid.

Couldn't agree more. Virgo was the weak link in the team. Personally, I'd play him at right back as I don't trust him tackling opponents in the box. Whing was beaten down the flank time and time again so maybe he should be dropped if Adams insists on playing Virgo.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Virgo is looking like our version of Gerrard with England ...... whatever happens we simply MUST play him somewhere. Madness, utter utter madness. Cheltenham were completely woeful at teh back, and crosses found unmarked men in the middle time and time again. Yet we watch Virgo achieve nothing all afternoon down one flank, while Cox and Joe sit there watching from the bench and Jake is sat in the stands. How must that lot feel, knowing that Virgo is ahead of them in the pecking order on the right side of midfield?

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
The only reason must be it is written in his contract.

I don't think you can legally 'gurantee' somebody that they'll play every week. Maybe a gentleman's agreement, but I doubt it.

To be fair, I don't think Virgo actually put a foot wrong today, but yes it was a very strange decision. But I don't see too much difference in this and what we did last week with Fraser on right midfield, as they are quite similar players in terms of dribbling skill! Anyinsah was pretty much playing as a wide left striker with our attacks going down that side last week, which is what I think we planned for today. In all fairness Thornton had a brilliant game and I don't see too much wrong with how that went today. Perhaps we were trying to close down their attacks from the left side, so playing a defensive player on the right side helped do that. I don't remember Whing having too much today so again I think that worked, if it was the plan.

But it was quite defensive considering we were playing second bottom Cheltenham.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Couldn't agree more. Virgo was the weak link in the team. Personally, I'd play him at right back as I don't trust him tackling opponents in the box. Whing was beaten down the flank time and time again so maybe he should be dropped if Adams insists on playing Virgo.

Virgo is too slow for right back, wouldn't work in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here