Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abu Dhabi

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Alright people, I am considering going for a job in Abu Dhabi mainly as it's blindingly well paid (and tax free) compared to anything I'd have a chance of getting over here. If I remember rightly a few people on here live/work out there, what do I need to know about the place?

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Alright people, I am considering going for a job in Abu Dhabi mainly as it's blindingly well paid (and tax free) compared to anything I'd have a chance of getting over here. If I remember rightly a few people on here live/work out there, what do I need to know about the place?

It's in the Middle East
It gets very hot!
There will be 25,000 other people applying for the job you are going for!

There's probably plenty more but that is all I know!

There is an ex-pat forum online somewhere which will probably give you more coherent info than I can

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd say it's very much a case of "when in Rome...".

Bear in mind that although the UAE is the most Westernised of Middle Eastern nations, it's still a basically Muslim society, and you'd need to be able to comfortably respect that if you moved out there. Sounds a bit of a basic thing, but some people can't cope with that, and treat it like they're on holiday on the Costa Del Sol, which it definitely ain't. Hence they find themselves being locked up for what we'd consider fairly minor transgressions over here.

Drinking alcohol is frowned upon, except in hotels and ex-pat clubs, so it's not really the place for you if all you're interested in is a weekend pub crawl, staggering home semi-naked with a kebab, and the occasional jazz fag.

Oh, and when it gets hot it's REALLY hot (I'm talking about 40-50 degrees centigrade), and while buildings are air conditioned, ask whether you can be bothered to stay inside all the time.

Other than that though, I'm sure it has plenty of attractions, and it's always nice to see more of the world.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd say it's very much a case of "when in Rome...".

Bear in mind that although the UAE is the most Westernised of Middle Eastern nations, it's still a basically Muslim society, and you'd need to be able to comfortably respect that if you moved out there. Sounds a bit of a basic thing, but some people can't cope with that, and treat it like they're on holiday on the Costa Del Sol, which it definitely ain't. Hence they find themselves being locked up for what we'd consider fairly minor transgressions over here.

Drinking alcohol is frowned upon, except in hotels and ex-pat clubs, so it's not really the place for you if all you're interested in is a weekend pub crawl, staggering home semi-naked with a kebab, and the occasional jazz fag.

Oh, and when it gets hot it's REALLY hot (I'm talking about 40-50 degrees centigrade), and while buildings are air conditioned, ask whether you can be bothered to stay inside all the time.

Other than that though, I'm sure it has plenty of attractions, and it's always nice to see more of the world.

What does the BNP have to say about the place Edna ?, only they seem to have a fairly balanced view on most things ;)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you go to Abu Dhabi, you'll not be able to play in next year's NSC 6-a-side.

Priorities Sam, priorities. ;)

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
If you go to Abu Dhabi, you'll not be able to play in next year's NSC 6-a-side.

Priorities Sam, priorities. ;)

Not true, the job (well jobs actually, it's a start-up) includes one return flight a year which obviously I would use on the 6-a-side!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I consider myself reasonably tolerant and certainly wouldn't have a problem living in a Muslim country for a bit. The lack of booze probably wouldn't do my waistline any harm either!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You'll be very welcome over here in the UAE, Sam. I'm planning on opening an office in Abu Dhabi in September 2009, so our paths may well cross...especially if the Albion are on the box. Abu Dhabi's only about an hour's drive from Dubai.

I'd agree with all of the above and, yes, alcohol is freely available.

My one piece of advice - get yourself a copy of the Abu Dhabi Explorer (Explorer Publishing) from Waterstone's or Borders. We advertise in the Dubai version - it's a must-have for anyone thinking about coming to live out here.

Drop me a pm if you want any more info about Dubai - Jesus Gul is also living up in Abu Dhabi and I'm sure he'll give you a few tips too.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Do it.
Great experience.
Make sure accommodation is sorted by company as its more than trebled in recent years and may take a larger than expected chunk of your tax free salary.
Some legendary watering holes which in some cases have rooms full of locals in their dish dashes supping their Johnny Walker.
Got to be a defensive/tolerant driver as Arabs cannot drive.
Great location easy to get to Dubai 1.5hrs, London 7hrs, Bangkok 7hrs. Oman next door is a great place.
Numerous off licences - your supposed to get a liquor licence but still get served without.
Good mix of young westerers South Africans, Australians, Scots, Irish working in education and construction. Plenty of Lebanese trying to be Italians - their food is good though.
Certain things such as racism against south asians and general inequality will open your eyes and may frustrate you.
As Harts shirt says Explorer book is a must buy. Plus the dirham is 5.5 to the pound now - it was 7.5 not long ago so sending dosh home for mortgage/paying off debts etc is now the thing to do (if you will be paid in dirhams)
Anything else PM me.
JG

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The UAE isn't a bad place. It does get very hot but everywhere has decent air conditioning. The Arabs are friendly as are the Filipinos there but some of the taxi drivers need to be watched. It's the capital of the UAE and has a bit more culture than Dubai but it's doing it's best to get as modern as Dubai.

It's not a bad place and given the money all I can say is good luck and enjoy yourself.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I would reiterate what Jesus Gul has said about accomodation. Maybe negotiate a package plus accomodation. My company has offices in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain. They tell me that Abu Dhabi is the place where accomodation is the most expensive. On the plus side, once you get a place, the landlord is restricted from hiking up the prices when your 1 year lease runs out. So its a good idea to find somewhere you think you would really like and stay there.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I would reiterate what Jesus Gul has said about accomodation. Maybe negotiate a package plus accomodation. My company has offices in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain. They tell me that Abu Dhabi is the place where accomodation is the most expensive. On the plus side, once you get a place, the landlord is restricted from hiking up the prices when your 1 year lease runs out. So its a good idea to find somewhere you think you would really like and stay there.

I heard that the most they can raise the rent is by 7% a year. Then again I heard that a 1 bedroom flat is £1600 a month rent, and you are required to pay 12 months rent up front.

Might be bollocks however.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Yep accommodation might be something of an issue - they say it's not included and also that Abu Dhabi is a really difficult place to find anything in. So that could prove to be something of an issue. Many thanks for the replies though, will probably send a few PMs later/tomorrow.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If accomodation is that much of a problem in AD, then consider living in Dubai and commuting. I lived in Dubai for six years, and my Dad succesfully commuted by car to work in AD some of that time.

Its no more than an hour, and its not as though PETROL is expensive out there!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

My brother has just started a contract out there as a quantity surveyor. I spoke to him only yesterday he really likes the place, loads of really good Lebanese and Indian restaurants. He said it was a bit of culture shock at first but really enjoys it.

A few things he didn’t realise till he got there was that you need a license to drink out there, their beautiful beaches are gender segregated and that accommodation is fairly expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here