Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abramovich - plans for Chelsea

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Abramovich's plans for Chelsea

£240,000,000 just on players spent so far

Can't see how he can be good for football long term but I wish we had just 10% of that set aside for the future

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lets be honest now. If Roman came knocking on our door and started flashing serious cash would we have said no.

No we wouldnt we would have loved it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not convinced I would enjoy it after the first flush of success. hard to believe but I really don't envy Chelsea. How can they ever feel like we did on Tuesday? They'll never win against the odds again

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's raped his country's oil industry making billions in the process, while half of his native country struggle to make ends meet. But rather than give something back to the country, he pours half a BILLION dollars into a foreign football club - one that was already the third or fourth best club side before he even bought it.

Maybe I'm being overly moralistic, but no, if he had associated with our club in those circumstances I can't say I'd have been all that impressed. :nono:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Lets be honest now. If Roman came knocking on our door and started flashing serious cash would we have said no.

No we wouldnt we would have loved it.

You are right that we would have said yes, we needed/ still need the money.
But would we have loved it? I for one would not. I love my club for what it is. It's history, character, the people and the struggle. If we become a premiership club one day I want it to be OUR premiership club, not some plastic play thing prone to the whims of a Russian billionaire. Where is the pride in spending £240m to buy your success? In what way could you relate to your local club if that were the case?
If I wanted to support Real Madrid, Man Utd or Chelsea to chase success then I would have done. I choose to support my local club because the ups are so much sweeter, and the downs a hell of a lot more scary. If we grew in the Chelsea model, I think I would lose all passion for this club. Investment and progress are good, but not at the expense of your heart and soul.

Lokki 7 said:
You are right that we would have said yes, we needed/ still need the money.
But would we have loved it? I for one would not. I love my club for what it is. It's history, character, the people and the struggle. If we become a premiership club one day I want it to be OUR premiership club, not some plastic play thing prone to the whims of a Russian billionaire. Where is the pride in spending £240m to buy your success? In what way could you relate to your local club if that were the case?
If I wanted to support Real Madrid, Man Utd or Chelsea to chase success then I would have done. I choose to support my local club because the ups are so much sweeter, and the downs a hell of a lot more scary. If we grew in the Chelsea model, I think I would lose all passion for this club. Investment and progress are good, but not at the expense of your heart and soul.
:clap:

Dandyman

In London village.
Simster said:
He's raped his country's oil industry making billions in the process, while half of his native country struggle to make ends meet. But rather than give something back to the country, he pours half a BILLION dollars into a foreign football club - one that was already the third or fourth best club side before he even bought it.

Maybe I'm being overly moralistic, but no, if he had associated with our club in those circumstances I can't say I'd have been all that impressed. :nono:

Well said. The man is a thieving little spiv who main interest in buying a small team in Fulham was probably to launder his ill gotten gains. ALLEGEDLY, of course.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Icy Gull said:
I'm not convinced I would enjoy it after the first flush of success. hard to believe but I really don't envy Chelsea. How can they ever feel like we did on Tuesday? They'll never win against the odds again

could not agree with you more...

New term for governor Abramovich

Roman Abramovich, the billionaire owner of Chelsea football team, has been sworn in for a new five-year term as the governor of Chukotka in Russia.

The region, on the far eastern tip of Siberia, facing Alaska, has been beset by financial problems and was declared bankrupt by Russian auditors last year.

This was despite large injections of Mr Abramovich's own money into the region.

The London-based tycoon had said he would not stand again as governor, but he reversed that decision last month.

Presidential pressure?

Last year, Mr Abramovich said but that running the impoverished region, which is bigger than France, but only home to 55,000 people was "too expensive, even for me".

He has pumped vast sums into the regional capital Anadyr, building hotels, a supermarket, leisure centre and technical college.

However, last month the billionaire, who has shown unswerving loyalty to the Kremlin, changed his mind and allowed his name to be included as an election candidate.

It was Russian President Vladimir Putin himself who proposed Mr Abramovich's nomination.

Following his re-election, Mr Putin sent Mr Abramovich a telegram to congratulate him on his success, praising "his high professional qualities and competence," presidential representative in the Far East Konstantin Pulikovsky was quoted by AFP as saying.

The BBC's Moscow correspondent Jonathan Charles says some believe that another stint as governor was the price extracted by the president for allowing Mr Abramovich to sell his oil company Sibneft to a state-owned enterprise last month for $13bn (£7bn).

By offloading his majority stake to Russia's state-owned gas firm Gazprom, Mr Abramovich is now worth an estimated £15.7bn.

It might also be the price for staying in favour with the Kremlin when the government has used a variety of means to strip other wealthy businessmen of their riches, our correspondent adds.

Lord Bracknell said:
The BBC's Moscow correspondent Jonathan Charles says some believe that another stint as governor was the price extracted by the president for allowing Mr Abramovich to sell his oil company Sibneft to a state-owned enterprise last month for $13bn (£7bn).
Eh?

Putin:- "Roman, I want to give you $13 billion"

Abramovich:- "What's the catch?"

Putin:- "You have to be Governor of Chukotka"

Abramovich:- "Where the hell's that?"

Putin:- "Don't worry. You can carry on living in England"

Abramovich:- "That's a hard bargain you're driving, Vlad".

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Icy Gull said:

:clap2:

they don't always win with the odds either. i mean for all that money the only thing they won last year was the premiership and the who cares cup. you'd at least expect a double or treble

Dandyman

In London village.
Uncle Buck said:
Oh speaks the biterness of all those years of a Spurs season ticket.....

It was more the family shetl I was thinking of...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
New term for governor Abramovich

It might also be the price for staying in favour with the Kremlin when the government has used a variety of means to strip other wealthy businessmen of their riches, our correspondent adds.

Dead ex wealthy businessmen probably :ohmy:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I remeber losing 2.0 at Stamford Bridge in 1989 in div 2. They were rubbish once not as bad as us but rubbish all the same.

Id take his money, its all relative, if we had money we do better in this division but we would need extra money to compete in the premiership.

At the moment we punch above our weight but if somebody passed all the boards vetting and injected some money into the club and we got more sucessful then I would not be unhappy.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes Stinky and quite a few ex Chelsea players ended up playing for the Albion in the 80's (Hutchings, Dublin, Jasper, Rougvie are the ones that come instantly to mind), I can't see that happening ever again, not when you would have to pay millions for their cast offs...

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
and Clive Walker but if (biggest word in the dictionary) we had money we might be able to get the odd premiership cast off, perhaps not Glen Johnson or Smertin.

As for Chelsea's money being bad for the game, its just like blackburn and Jack Walker. One day Abramovitch will get bored, be imprisoned or die and Chelsea will become broke and inconsistent like they always were.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Roman was going on about Chelsea being the supreme football club in England for the next 100 years. This sounds all too familiar, echoes of Hitler's 1000 year third reich springs to mind. Look what happened to Adolph and he was a dictator too (allegedly)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here