Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ablion given 2m

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Just saw this posted on The Argus

Seagulls celebrate FSIF investment towards new home : F.C. Business

Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club will be presented with a £2m cheque from Gary Hoffman, Chairman of the Football Foundation, during half-time of the Seagulls Npower Championship clash with Coventry on Saturday.

The Football Stadia Improvement Fund (FSIF), supporters of the Football Foundation, awarded the grant towards the development of the club’s new home: the American Express Community Stadium in Falmer.

The FSIF is funded by the Premier League with an annual budget of £6m. It provides grants which help fund improvements at lower league football grounds in both the professional and amateur game. These improvements range from new football stands and turnstiles to floodlighting and improved provision for disabled supporters.

The Seagulls have been without a permanent home since leaving the Goldstone Ground in 1997. They spent two seasons ground-sharing with Gillingham before returning to Sussex to play at the Withdean Stadium in 1999, where they have remained since. The new 22,500 all-seater hosted its first match earlier this year.

Richard Scudamore, Chief Executive of the Premier League, said: “The Premier League funded FSIF makes a vital contribution towards the development of lower league football clubs. The fans of Brighton & Hove Albion have had a long, and at times painful, journey to the American Express Community Stadium, but we hope it provides them with some exciting and stable times. Through the FSIF we are looking forward to helping many more clubs who are rising up the pyramid meet the demands of providing modern and comfortable stadiums.”

Gary Hoffman, Chairman of the Football Foundation, said: “Supporters are the lifeblood of the game. They generate an atmosphere at matches that is an essential component of what makes football so exciting and widely loved. They also make a significant contribution to their club’s existence financially.

“I am sure that many home and away fans will enjoy watching the national game being played at the American Express Community Stadium for many years to come.”

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Might have been more helpful when we were trying to pay all the legal bills - but happy to trouser that I suspect.

Might pay for the seats and the non existant cladding on the South Stand :lolol: , would have been more helpful at Withdean mind. But that would have been a waste.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
does this make any sense!

The Seagulls have been without a permanent home since leaving the Goldstone Ground in 1997. They spent two seasons ground-sharing with Gillingham before returning to Sussex to play at the Withdean Stadium in 1999, where they have remained since. The new 22,500 all-seater hosted its first match earlier this year

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
could pay towards some shelves to put your beer and pie on?

I jest of course, I am a happy seagull.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
That should pay for the damage caused to the Amex by Palace fans.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I know Hoffman ... worked around him in the past ... he's a huge Cov fan ... may even be a Director there ... not his ££ give him a cheeky boo :)

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
Why are they giving that money to us now and not when we actually needed it? Surely that money would be best spent on a team struggling to find cash for a stadium, not one whos already paid for one. Or are they hoping we make it to the premier league, and its all a cunning plan to keep all the money at the top level.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm sure Plymouth for example could do with it more than us! Get those toilets sorted! :D

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why are they giving that money to us now and not when we actually needed it? Surely that money would be best spent on a team struggling to find cash for a stadium, not one whos already paid for one. Or are they hoping we make it to the premier league, and its all a cunning plan to keep all the money at the top level.

A bit weird, isn't it? Presumably they haven't given us it before because we weren't a wise investment and the money would have diasppeared down Dick Knight's settee, and the Stadium wasn't out own. Why it hasn't been given to other teams who need a bit of cash to pay for a new stand or whatever I don't know. This makes up a third of their yearly budget as well. Surely Crystal Palace are more in need. Or do they just look to provide funding to teams who are a bit more settled and have a genuine opportunity of providing one if ther very best Stadiums?

Not that we should complain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here