Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A27 Rendezvous

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Can anyone help - I'm trying to arrange to meet someone at a roadside pub heading west of Worthing on the A27. I recall going to one a few years ago (in Arundel area?) which was then run by boxing legend Terry Spinks. Where abouts on the A27 is it? What's it called? Is it still there? If not, can someone please recommend?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That pub is The Coach and Horses and is about 1 - 2 miles from Offington roundabout just past what was Swandean Hospital. Ii is the first pub I ever worked in as a part time barman in 1961.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
There is one just west or Arundel, I think its called the swan or thewhite swan or something like that.

Thinking about it, it might be east of Arundel

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is west of Arundel on the right hand side near the cricket ground.

Another choice would be at Crossbush where the A27 finishes before going into Arundel. Near the BP garage and McDonalds , pub is on the right.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Near the Arundel Cricket Ground (On A27) NOT The Castle Cricket Ground, which some people get when the put Arundel & Cricket Ground into SatNav etc.

Also got the Beefeater place at Crossbush and a pub by Arundel Station

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok quite a few to choose from, heading from Chi to Worthing, they go a follows:-

White Swan - by Arundel CC
The Crossbush - Opposite BP/Macdonalds, Just eat of Arundel
The Woodmans Arms - Down in the dip north of Angmering (Fullers I think)
The Worlds End (used to be Horse & Groom, years ago)- Set back from A27 at Patching (Badger beer)
The Fox - Further down Patching slip road. (might get Timmy Taylor there)
Coach & Horses - other side of road, on from Castle Goring.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Can anyone help - I'm trying to arrange to meet someone at a roadside pub heading west of Worthing on the A27. I recall going to one a few years ago (in Arundel area?) which was then run by boxing legend Terry Spinks. Where abouts on the A27 is it? What's it called? Is it still there? If not, can someone please recommend?

The pub is called The Coach and Horses and was run by the boxer Tommy Farr.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ok quite a few to choose from, heading from Chi to Worthing, they go a follows:-

White Swan - by Arundel CC
The Crossbush - Opposite BP/Macdonalds, Just eat of Arundel
The Woodmans Arms - Down in the dip north of Angmering (Fullers I think)
The Worlds End (used to be Horse & Groom, years ago)- Set back from A27 at Patching (Badger beer)
The Fox - Further down Patching slip road. (might get Timmy Taylor there)

Coach & Horses - other side of road, on from Castle Goring.

All on the wrong side of the road as he wants to meet somebody to go WEST from Worthing to Arundel

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The pub is called The Coach and Horses and was run by the boxer Tommy Farr.

Wrong it was Terry Spinks Olympic gold medalist. Tommy Farr had a pub near the Angel Islington (London) in the 70s and then I think that he had one in Brighton, but never The Coach & Horses, well at least not since 1960, I am reasonably certain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All on the wrong side of the road as he wants to meet somebody to go WEST from Worthing to Arundel
True, didn't read it properly.
But both The Fox and World End are on the Angmering/Patching junction, so that's not a problem.
With the added bonus of being slightly away from a blooming busy road.

Only The Woodmans isn't practical.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But both The Fox and World End are on the Angmering/Patching junction, so that's not a problem.
With the added bonus of being slightly away from a blooming busy road.

When I was a lad they were both on the main Arundel Rd but when they built the new road which was going to be part of the A27 trunk road from Folkestone to Honiton it missed them out. That scheme was then scrapped as being too expensive hence the A27 comes to a stop at Crossbush rather than have a bridge and road built to by pass Arundel, which was the original idea.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wrong it was Terry Spinks Olympic gold medalist. Tommy Farr had a pub near the Angel Islington (London) in the 70s and then I think that he had one in Brighton, but never The Coach & Horses, well at least not since 1960, I am reasonably certain.

I was going to say Spinks, but I was just thinking of Leon Spinks, and I doubted he ever had a pub in Worthing :laugh:

I used to go there with my old (sadly deceased) boss and a bunch of other local business leaders, they were all very much peas in a pod, chatting about the old days in the East End, like a Chas and Dave appreciation pub in those days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here