Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A27 accident

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
Both lanes shut A27 by firle ..major accident between car/ motorcyclist.. that stretch of rd is a death trap..so many people have been injured or killed along it, its untrue..a few yrs ago i ended up in a ditch as this nutcase overtook someone on otherside at such speed he couldnt get back in lane in time and headed straight at me, if i hadnt have gone in ditch we would have collided head on...anyone else had any bad experiances on that rd ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Coming bck from Swansea a couple of years ago on M4 a car was coming down the wrong carridgeway.He had a head on not too far back from us and from memory 3 people died. To this day I dont know how I missed him

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Didn't Q from the Bond films die there?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
He died by Drusillas zoo I think.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
David Llewellyn coming back from a book signing.

It is only a deathtrap as there are so many irresponsible drivers, haring along at ridiculous speeds. :nono:

Coming bck from Swansea a couple of years ago on M4 a car was coming down the wrong carridgeway.He had a head on not too far back from us and from memory 3 people died. To this day I dont know how I missed him

Similar thing happened in France when I was about 10. My Father managed to swerve in time and it obliterated the car behind us, taking two others with it. Total death toll was 8, I think. :down:

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
so many drivers its rush rush rush..right up yer arse, then overtaking like maniacs just to save a few mins ....:annoyed:

spunkmonkey

Jul 11, 2005
Eastbourne
I got caught up in that on the way home from work. A motorcycle had hit the side of an Astra estate, looks like the Astra had pulled out of a junction and taken out the motorcyclist. It didn't look that promising for the person on the bike from what I saw.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
so many drivers its rush rush rush..right up yer arse, then overtaking like maniacs just to save a few mins ....:annoyed:

I agree the general standard of driving is pretty poor these days, but I'm even more astounded by the risks motorcyclists seem to take. Does the Highway Code not apply to bikes? i.e. overtaking on solid white lines or hash marks, tailgating, overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic etc? Several bikers I've seen this week must have left their brains at home before taking to the road.

I appreciate it may only be a minority of bikers, but quite frankly I don't want to witness someone's death due to their own selfishness.

:lightsbluetouchpaperandstandswellbackforreplyfromnscbikers:

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
I agree the general standard of driving is pretty poor these days, but I'm even more astounded by the risks motorcyclists seem to take. Does the Highway Code not apply to bikes? i.e. overtaking on solid white lines or hash marks, tailgating, overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic etc? Several bikers I've seen this week must have left their brains at home before taking to the road.

I appreciate it may only be a minority of bikers, but quite frankly I don't want to witness someone's death due to their own selfishness.

:lightsbluetouchpaperandstandswellbackforreplyfromnscbikers:

you wanna hear em on the a264 horsham rd at weekends..the ferking noise is like living next to brands hatch...!!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
which part "by firle"? the long straight can be troublesome when you have a dickhead going 45 in clear weather and a trail of cars behind. the corner by the farm has had some accidents because people dont judge speeds properly or simply dont get on with it, and also gets dark suddenly under the trees at some times of day. In my driving experience i have been in or seen far more near misses due to peoples dangerous lack of speed rather than too much.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Hope all involved are all safe and well.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
which part "by firle"? the long straight can be troublesome when you have a dickhead going 45 in clear weather and a trail of cars behind. the corner by the farm has had some accidents because people dont judge speeds properly or simply dont get on with it, and also gets dark suddenly under the trees at some times of day. In my driving experience i have been in or seen far more near misses due to peoples dangerous lack of speed rather than too much.

I thought I was the only person to have this view. Most people don't want to speed, especially in rush hour, but they just want to do the speed limit. The problem along single carraigeways is slow drivers causing a huge train behind of increasingly annoyed motorists trying to overtake.

The other main problem with that part of the A27 is the junctions, especially the 2 in the middle of Firle straight that should simply be no right turn in or out.

Hope all parties involved in this case pull through

This happened at the end of the road I live in (the turning to Ripe). I may be wrong, but it looked to me like a right turning movement that ended in a crash. I have personally been lobbying the Highways Agency for YEARS to improve this junction and make right turns safer. I even appeared at the Public Inquiry into the Beddingham scheme and put forward the case for doing something as part of that scheme. When the Secretary of State finally authorised the scheme to go ahead, he insisted that improvements to the Glynde junction were incorporated in the scheme and promised that they would be "investigated" at the Firle turning and the Ripe turning.

Things have got a lot more dangerous since the Beddingham scheme was completed ... traffic volumes have increased enormously, as have speeds. And we don't any longer get the gaps in the traffic that the Beddingham level crossing used to deliver.

The other main problem with that part of the A27 is the junctions, especially the 2 in the middle of Firle straight that should simply be no right turn in or out.
Agreed. Banning right turns at those two junctions wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

The traffic islands and road markings that were put in at that location about three years ago have, however, made the Firle Straight a lot safer. The number of idiots attempting high speed overtaking manoeuvres has dropped considerably.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
30 second sensor traffic lights then at all roads joining the a27 at this stretch
I mean theres harldy masses of cars coming out of thse roads is there?
If its slows the bastards down and saves lives, then it would be well worth considering. So bloody what if people get home 2-3 minutes late, not the end of the world is it?

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
was there not a taxi driver killed on that strech not long ago???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here