Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A259 Bus Corridor - Ovingdean - Newhaven

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
What a joke peice of road planning - went along there last night and ended up cutting through Ovingdean to get past Rottingdean along with another 20 cars after queing from the Marina....

Now that wasn't really the idea was it....?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
*sigh* When space on certain roads is tight, then it makes sense to me at least to give more of it over to the vehicles with 50 people in them rather than the vehicles with just one or two.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a joke peice of road planning - went along there last night and ended up cutting through Ovingdean to get past Rottingdean along with another 20 cars after queing from the Marina....

Now that wasn't really the idea was it....?
So will you take the bus in future?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
to me i would have thought a bus corridor would have been BOTH ways, not a case of stick a mile or so on one side then switch it to the other after a bit, then switch it back for a few hundred yards. I was on a 27 last Friday and was actually stuck in the dual carriage way bit before Ovingdean roundabout for about 10 minutes because all the cars are forced from 2 lanes before the roundabout to one shortly after they exit causing the roundabout to be blocked with traffic and gridlocking the whole junction. There are 4 lanes leading to the roundabout, enough without digging anything up for 2 bus lanes, one either way and a car lane either way.

Like has been said, badly planned and a waste of money

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
to me i would have thought a bus corridor would have been BOTH ways, not a case of stick a mile or so on one side then switch it to the other after a bit, then switch it back for a few hundred yards. I was on a 27 last Friday and was actually stuck in the dual carriage way bit before Ovingdean roundabout for about 10 minutes because all the cars are forced from 2 lanes before the roundabout to one shortly after they exit causing the roundabout to be blocked with traffic and gridlocking the whole junction. There are 4 lanes leading to the roundabout, enough without digging anything up for 2 bus lanes, one either way and a car lane either way.

Like has been said, badly planned and a waste of money

here's a clue.....try an alternative to your car and you might solve this puzzle.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It has been very badly designed and cheaply executed.

The lanes are far too narrow - I have seen several lorries and large vehicles head towards one another and narrowly miss one another.

All they had to do was take a metre or so of verge or pavement either side, and the width of the new lanes would of been fine.

The timing of the new traffic lights at Longridge Avenue is also out, leading to big queues heading out of town towards Pisshaven, which is normally unheard of.

Nah - it really is a typical piece of british cheap and nasty tat - and smacks of pure PC tokenism - but it could have been good if they had spent the money and done it properly.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
but it could have been good if they had spent the money and done it properly.

Something that applies to the whole of Brighton & Hove's public transport system which is basically a tax-payer subsidised bus service which, in part, is trumped up as a 'rapid transport system' but which we all know is a series of ill thought out bus lanes.

If you told people from outside of Brighton that we had a 'rapid transport system' they'd probably think monorail perhaps, metro system maybe. They'd laugh when you told them it was a bus.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Something that applies to the whole of Brighton & Hove's public transport system which is basically a tax-payer subsidised bus service which, in part, is trumped up as a 'rapid transport system' but which we all know is a series of ill thought out bus lanes.

If you told people from outside of Brighton that we had a 'rapid transport system' they'd probably think monorail perhaps, metro system maybe. They'd laugh when you told them it was a bus.

Its like many things Brightonian at the moment - to lazy thinkers and to the sheep, it is PC, on-message, and right on - but in reality it is just horribly, horribly, amateur.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Nah - it really is a typical piece of british cheap and nasty tat - and smacks of pure PC tokenism - but it could have been good if they had spent the money and done it properly.
How is building a bus lane being Politically Correct? I thought PC was about not calling ethnic minorities nasty names, not building a bus lane for diesel hungry vehicles.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How is building a bus lane being Politically Correct? I thought PC was about not calling ethnic minorities nasty names, not building a bus lane for diesel hungry vehicles.

PC is all things, also applying to environmental issues, its PC t want to save the planet, ie bus lanes

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003

ah. one of the sheep has arrived..

I will need to check my Daily Mail PC Handbook Guide , but taking half the available roadspace away, does smack of PC tokenism.

There is going to be a very nasty head on collision on this road at some point - possibly fatal - as a direct result of what they have done, which is reducing road lanes to an inadequate width.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Must agree that even as a bus passenger the lanes do look very small. The problem that has not been solved is the Rottingdean junction. There should be a subway for pedestrians and a mini roundabout instead of traffic lights.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
*sigh* When space on certain roads is tight, then it makes sense to me at least to give more of it over to the vehicles with 50 people in them rather than the vehicles with just one or two.
I'm not being sarcastic - but how does that help exactly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here