Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of sensible comments about tonight's game

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The rest seem to be full of wild off-the-cuff ramblings.

First problem was Craig Noone. Final ball was truly awful pretty much all game. If we had a winger on the field who could cross the ball effectively we might have had a couple of goals in the first half.

Second problem was long crossfield balls in the first half, mostly from Greer, which all sailed over the head of the intended target. If some of those had been decent passes it could have been a different story.

The positives were Bruno and Vicente, but Vicente is NOT a striker and Gus should stop playing him there.

Otherewise a very mixed bag.

We have certainly come down to earth with a very big bump.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
we lost to the european champions ffs,roll on sat,cant wait to see bruno in live action

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Greer and Dunk looked very shaky tonight and continued to make individual errors as they did, and got away with against Chelsea and Reading.

Noone had a golden chance to make an impact tonight but failed miserably.

Already we appear to be reliant on Buckley and Crofts

and where's that big striker?

I think we need to sign an experienced midfielder to play with Crofts

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Swindon are on a roll and were more 'up for it' than we were. I expect us to be 'up for it' against Hull, CMS up front, Vicente behind + Crofts, different ball game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dunk is shakey at the moment and I'm afraid needs to be left out for his own good. Harley is not up to it at this level.

Felt Toby looked sharp when he came on....

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Swindon are on a roll and were more 'up for it' than we were. I expect us to be 'up for it' against Hull, CMS up front, Vicente behind + Crofts, different ball game.

Definitely could have done with Crofts tonight. That fella navarro looked good. Could do a job?

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
We just didn't click - too many players under performed - but that's just it under performed.

We'll come back from this - although a different type of striker to allow for a more offensive set up looks like a must.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

CMS mayb be 'fit' for Saturday but will he start? Barnes dropped? CMS isn't exactly match fit...just musing...i see him On the bench rather than starting

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
What was up with Gordon tonight, Benson won a lot against him. Nooney very poor, Dicker is just too slow, was outpaced in races for the ball. Harley? What does he bring to the game? Where was Sparrow? Positives - Bridge and Bruno looked good, Vicente showed touches of class when played in his preferred position. Very obvious that we need a big target man now, playing CMS up front on Saturday on his own is not the answer.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If El-Abd, Crofts, Buckley, KLL & CMS had been fit and playing tonight, we would not have lost (IMO).

However, if we have an injury list like the current one for a period of the league season, we're in deep do-do. The strength in depth, or lack of it I should say, appears worrying to me.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
We played like this last season in the first round only much much worse.

The difference then was we had Buckley who was the only one who tried and he won the game for us.

c-c-c-sider

Feb 25, 2011
Southwick
We have got to face facts that these days 'Brighton' are a scalp that lower league teams want. They were up for it more & Navarro worked his bits off to show his ex club what he can do.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Stay calm and wait for Tuesday when we have played away and home in the league where it matters and a more accurate judgement can be made on our progression, or better still wait until all our players are fit and playing in their best positions and we have played 5 games or so.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I thought Swindon looked excellent actually. I'd be surprised if they aren't challenging for promotion again this year. That free kick was class - straight off the training ground.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
for me we lost the match in the midfield. Dicker and Harley were terrible. We shouldn't be relying on defenders to make 60 yard long through balls ever. Why in the world was Harley on the pitch? Dicker has no pace and has no vision going forward. Noone had a terrible time crossing. MIDFIELD. It is pretty much more of the same from last season, when we had no idea what to do when our usual game plan wasn't working.

Nothing new for me tonight really. The players who let us down did much of last season too which is why some of them never saw the pitch.

Hopefully when we get our players back from interbational duties and a few off the injury list we can field a better playing squad, one thing is for sure, we don't have much depth at the moment.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
It was very disappointing....for me biggest frustration is knowing they can play better, even thought definsively we are usually well organised and it didnt look like it on that first goal......even with the team we had out, thought we were going to win. They didnt seem to play like they do at the Amex....? It was a reality check but lets all keep calm....amazing how one result can make you feel so shit, but a win on sat and we will all be thinking about what we can do in the league....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here