Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Just after Painter found out he's playing on saturday

imagesCALEM351.jpg

He Shot He Scored

Jan 25, 2010
My memory is similar.

Ryan's leg was broken in 2 places, I think, not both legs.

I don't recall Hughton even getting booked. Pretty certain he wasn't sent off.

The rest of the game was just a blur as I was in a rage about the challenge and couldn't stop re-running it in my head.

I think there was a photo of Ryan on the ground after the challenge in yesterday's programme (didn't buy it myself), and it said that Ryan has forgiven Hughton. This makes him a bigger man than me, as I'll never forgive him!

Hughton was sent off in this game. However, this was back in the days when only one sub was allowed and as we'd already used ours, we were down to 10 men too with Gerry Ryan taken out. It really was an awful challenge, done to stop a dangerous break with the ball nowhere near - a deliberate act although hopefully not to deliberately break his leg. I remember Danny Wilson being first to Hughton with another couple not far behind.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
He only told his daughter mr reich . The mitre this year or nearer?[/QUOTE didn't he glass a palace fan? , run the Selhurst arms? and generally informed on chaps? might be wrong Dougie ???
You tell me , you seem to know everything that's going on or going off . So could the selhurst arms be the new watering hole for Saturday ? You know what happened last time you drank near the ground ! Stick to clapham or anerley.???:whistle:

Last edited:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Remember watching Charlie at the Goldstone. Good goalie. Used to live in Turners Hill.

He must have had a torrid time with the state of that pitch! Found some more info about this match:

bha5.jpg

Palace-Echo.net said:
The Clubs did not meet again until the 1962-63 season following Brighton's relegation from Division Two, Palace improved upon a 2-2 home draw to win 2-1 at the Goldstone, but not even those points would have saved Brighton from another relegation. That game .... has an unusual story surrounding it. The coldest winter in living memory had locked the Goldstone under a sheet of ice and snow. In an effort to stage the Palace game there on 12 Jan 1963, the club hired a tar-melting machine off the council (pictured). It thawed the pitch, but turned into a quagmire!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here