Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread full of CRAP Albion transfer dealings

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll start.

Dean Saunders was quoted as saying "Oxford have a spent a lot of money bringing me here" after Alan Mullery cunningly sold him for an, erm, hefty £60,000.

He moved to Derby two years later for £1million.

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
The Goldstone:angry: :angry:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately you've started and finished this thread Sim, in the sense that the Saunders deal was the worst one ever in the history of football. With the possible exception of £4million plus Andy Johnson for that prize twat Clinton Morrison.

But I'll have a go with Gary Nelson. Seem to remeber it was a pittance.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Can't believe this thread has been open 4 minutes and I'm the first person to mention JASON PEAKE.

Bought for £100,000 when we were f***ing skint, sold for bugger all about 12 months later.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mickey Thomas £350K and went walkabouts soon afterwards

Teddy Maybank 200K

Peter Sayer 100k

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
With regards to the Saunders one, Harty said on his phone in Saturday that due to his excessively high wages at the time that even if we had given him away it would have been good business just to offload him as we were desperate to reduce the wage bill.

First time I had heard that loike.

Considering our financial constraints of the last few years I'd go with geoff pitcher. Cost us £25k (it could have been 50K) and no one wanted to play him.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Tooting Gull said:
Unfortunately you've started and finished this thread Sim, in the sense that the Saunders deal was the worst one ever in the history of football. With the possible exception of £4million plus Andy Johnson for that prize twat Clinton Morrison.

But I'll have a go with Gary Nelson. Seem to remeber it was a pittance.

To be fair Tooting that's about the only time Palace were in credit.

There are numerous other examples like Collymore to Southend for 100k, Wright to the Arse for £2 mill, Chris Powell on free, Glen Little on a free etc etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
paulie said:
To be fair Tooting that's about the only time Palace were in credit.

There are numerous other examples like Collymore to Southend for 100k, Wright to the Arse for £2 mill, Chris Powell on free, Glen Little on a free etc etc.
I must admit, the Steve Bruce/Trevor Francis swap was an enjoyably comical episode.

They get your manager, promotion and a quick cherry pick of your best player (at the time). You got a clueless unproven bloke whose only tactic was to get rid of expensive players and assemble a vast squad of medicre ones in their place.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
I'll start.

Dean Saunders was quoted as saying "Oxford have a spent a lot of money bringing me here" after Alan Mullery cunningly sold him for an, erm, hefty £60,000.

He moved to Derby two years later for £1million.

Barry Lloyd purleeeeze

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyway, back to the point - Jason Peake was a ridiculous buy but that's already been said.

How about Dave Cameron & Aiden Newhouse. Two absolutely shit strikers there from which to pick from to play alongside the gyppo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Re: Re: A thread full of CRAP Albion transfer dealings

Robert Lester Zamora said:
Barry Lloyd purleeeeze
Ah yes. But it was Mullery who decided to stick him on the left wing where he was utterly useless, despite him scoring about a billion goals up front alongside Connor for the previous 2 seasons under Cattlin.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Worse has to be Farrington

Ian Hart always defends Barry Lloyd. Must be a Worthing thing ?? the guy was a tosser

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Dean Saunders is the one, definitely.

Remember being pissed off when we sold John Byrne to Sunderland for peanuts, and he went on to score in every cup game for them as they made it to Wemberley. And though his form post-Albion doesn't now warrant it, I still feel that, at the time, we didn't get enough for Bobby.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quantum said:
Worse has to be Farrington

Ian Hart always defends Barry Lloyd. Must be a Worthing thing ?? the guy was a tosser
Ah yes. Farrington threatened to be utter RUBBISH from the moment he arrived.

And sadly for him and us, he never quite looked as good as that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Willow said:
How much did we get for Danny Wilson? He BOSSED the team in the mid eighties and then we let Luton get him.
£200k. As usual, chickenfeed in the market at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here