Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for the fans who regularly attend away games

Billy Whizzkid

Aug 24, 2011
Firstly, fair play to all of you. I can't get to as many games as I would like these days (wife, young kids and all that) but you seem to continually turn out in large numbers and provide fantastic support to the team on the road.

Unless it's my imagination, almost every away game report (and most home games for that matter) on the official site, including quotes from Gus and the players, seem to suggest that we boss each game with our passing game, and appear to be undone by bouts of bad luck and poor refereeing decisions. However, every independent report I read makes no reference to this sort of thing.

So what's the general consensus? Are we brilliant but unlucky or does the official site, Gus etc look at the world differently to evryone else?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
its the official site - its got to be supportive of the club which throws objectivity completely out the window

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
Firstly, fair play to all of you. I can't get to as many games as I would like these days (wife, young kids and all that) but you seem to continually turn out in large numbers and provide fantastic support to the team on the road.

Unless it's my imagination, almost every away game report (and most home games for that matter) on the official site, including quotes from Gus and the players, seem to suggest that we boss each game with our passing game, and appear to be undone by bouts of bad luck and poor refereeing decisions. However, every independent report I read makes no reference to this sort of thing.

So what's the general consensus? Are we brilliant but unlucky or does the official site, Gus etc look at the world differently to evryone else?

differently we're punching above our weight with injuries and bans. also team to small and light weight for many teams in this league.I would be delighted with mid table this year and build next............... in gus we trust ;-)

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
First half on Monday we were poor, simple as that. Second half we came out and started to look a lot better then Gus took off the two players who looked most threatening ( Buckley and Lua Lua ). When Noone came on he was playing well, attacking the RB and putting in some decent crosses although CMS and Paynter missed some sitters. Looked like we should of had a penalty but it was one of those where you get it or you don't and we didn't. We need a striker in January as simple as that..

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I think a lot of teams don't mind us bossing the game when what that means is having a lot of the ball but never in threatening positions. At Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Southampton and Watford we never looked like scoring. At Ipswich we only scored thanks to some Vicente magic. At Reading we did look like scoring and in fact should have scored twice.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

We have a good 20 minutes where we knock it about really nicely (after half time for example against Reading) and Gus focuses on this. In no way are we dominating possession like we did last season, obviously because of the step up but we do have periods of play when we look very good. If we could be a little more consistent in our starting 11 these patches will extend throughout the game. Untill that happens we're going to be inconsistent.

The blaming the ref thing is getting old for me, yes we've had some rotten decisions but a lot of the time it's moaning for moaning's sake and not looking at the bigger picture.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've been to all the home games and a few away this season. From what I've seen away from home there is a mix of playing well with no end product or too many missed chances (as with Monday) and looking lightweight physically and tactically at times. I agree with Gus and other insiders though that we are getting far more than our fair share of key decisions going against us away, and crucially at home too. Usually with a vociferous home support such as we've had this season these decisions tend to even up. However, this season, for whatever reason, we're getting nothing at home from the officials either. The standard of officials I've seen this season has been probably the worst I've seen in 30 odd years following The Albion.

Last edited:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
First half on Monday we were poor, simple as that. Second half we came out and started to look a lot better then Gus took off the two players who looked most threatening ( Buckley and Lua Lua ). When Noone came on he was playing well, attacking the RB and putting in some decent crosses although CMS and Paynter missed some sitters. Looked like we should of had a penalty but it was one of those where you get it or you don't and we didn't. We need a striker in January as simple as that..

Isn't every penalty situation getting it or not getting it?!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
First half on Monday we were poor, simple as that. Second half we came out and started to look a lot better then Gus took off the two players who looked most threatening ( Buckley and Lua Lua ).

When did Lua Lua look threatening? The bloke stood on the wing and didn't go looking for the ball and his end product was as erratic as it has been all season. Several times when he could have run into space and caused problems he just stood there waiting for the ball to go to him from a standing start. Someone I was with called him lazy - I just don't think he has any football intelligence. Compare him to Noone whose movement is far greater than Lua Lua's and who created several chances once he was on and Noone is just a far superior player.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
differently we're punching above our weight with injuries and bans. also team to small and light weight for many teams in this league.I would be delighted with mid table this year and build next............... in gus we trust ;-)

This, for us to compete at this level or higher we require bigger stronger more intelligent players.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
When did Lua Lua look threatening? The bloke stood on the wing and didn't go looking for the ball and his end product was as erratic as it has been all season. Several times when he could have run into space and caused problems he just stood there waiting for the ball to go to him from a standing start. Someone I was with called him lazy - I just don't think he has any football intelligence. Compare him to Noone whose movement is far greater than Lua Lua's and who created several chances once he was on and Noone is just a far superior player.

Agreed...I was at reading and thought that lualua was very disappointing, and we actually looked threatening when Nooney was let loose. Although cms missed a few chances, we seemed to create a few and the scoreline was a tad flattering. However, we are still mid table and just need to get through these next few games until some players come back

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.

It's called opinions and I never said that Noone was shit when he came on because he played well. Lua Lua was attacking the full back when he was on and actually doing quite well at it, just Poyet had to change the shape and he got took off, don't think he had a bad game though at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here