Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for Gus re Vicente

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Why play Vicente in the Swindon game when yo know he's injury prone, and when you have said you really don't care about the League Cup?

So he picks up a "niggle" and we lose him for the Hull game which is surely more important.

Makes no sense whatsoever. Another of Gus's strange decisions.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
that is a very sensible post, my only guess is he was trying to keep Vicente match fit...

Dec 29, 2011
The same reason he played him in the other pre-season games, match fitness (I don't see you moaning about Vicente bossing the Chelski game).

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
that is a very sensible post, my only guess is he was trying to keep Vicente match fit...

Exactly this! pretty easy to understand if u ask me.

You cant just not let him play then expect him to be 100% match fit when a bigger game arrives.

competitive matches are what you need to get players like Vicente as fit as you possibly can.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why play Vicente in the Swindon game when yo know he's injury prone, and when you have said you really don't care about the League Cup?

So he picks up a "niggle" and we lose him for the Hull game which is surely more important.

Perhaps he missed a chunk of pre season and needed the game time? ???

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

'In Gus we trust' but a very good point. I think when we spank Cardiff & Barnsley and Vicente is playing in his best position we will forget this unlucky opener.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly this! pretty easy to understand if u ask me.

You cant just not let him play then expect him to be 100% match fit when a bigger game arrives.

competitive matches are what you need to get players like Vicente as fit as you possibly can.

But expecting him to play two games in a week when the second one is our opening league game seems like an unnecessary risk.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
But expecting him to play two games in a week when the second one is our opening league game seems like an unnecessary risk.

after not playing competitively for a few months these 2 quick ish games are not going to matter a jot and can only help his much needed fitness. while he looked great as usual against chelsea he still looked short of match fitness to me.
IMO he had to play v swindon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I felt like the swindon game was a team that wasn't about winning.

Dunk in defence, seemed like giving him a chance to stake a claim, playing bridge was about game time. Midfield was the strongest available after injuries, loans, and his decision to experiment up front. I think if he had wanted to win the game, he would have played vicente in the middle in place of harley, barnes up front and agdestein on the right.

And there in lies the answer. He was, I think, experimenting with Vicente as the target man.

Besides, you get so little out of him, if he is fit enough to play, we should play him. He could get injured in training before the next match and then you're without him more than necessary.

Jul 13, 2012

Strange? more like baffling.

Stumpy Tim

Maybe Vicente was shown some compassion by Gus. After all, Vicente's wife has post-natal depression, and maybe Gus thought it was best if he didn't have a long trip to Hull while his wife is in a bad way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here