Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Fence

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Dear NSC

I am two weeks into my course on A Level Politics.
Our first major debate, will be regarding the Monarchy.
So... I would like to here the consensus of the general NSC community.

Are you in favour and do you want to keep the Monarchy?

Many Thanks in advance

Billy

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yes, I am fully in support of the monarchy, and you can quote me on that in your debate.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Norman Baker is coming to my College soon. Shall I leave him a few pictures of Falmer to mull over?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you are in support, remember to throw in these old chesnuts.

1) They bring millions into the country via tourism.

2) If you got rid of them you'd end up with President Thatcher/Blair (delete where applicable)

3) They sell their biscuits in Waitrose.

That should wrap it up.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Where's the option for keep the monarchy, but chop off Norman Baker's head?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm definitely not in favour of the monarchy but think chopping Brenda's head off is going a bit far ... so I voted fence.

One question: why does decapitation have "(french)" after it? That's what we did too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am in favour of keeping the Monarchy, but do think we should not subsidise them so heavily, certainly not the hangers-on like Princess Michael of Kent etc.

Whilst we're on the subject of saving public money, I was reading that £87 million a year is spent privately educating the children of the Military top brass.

Can anyone else confirm that and explain why ... ?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm definitely not in favour of the monarchy but think chopping Brenda's head off is going a bit far ... so I voted fence.

One question: why does decapitation have "(french)" after it? That's what we did too.
Good Point, though i thought they were more notable for it, but yes you are right.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I suppose the major difference is that we felt terribly bad about it afterwards, whereas the French probably invented in a cake in celebration (or something like that)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suppose the major difference is that we felt terribly bad about it afterwards, whereas the French probably invented in a cake in celebration (or something like that)

Well we didn't really. We felt terribly bad about the years of Cromwell's Commonwealth and the puritan repression. After 12 years of the 17th century Taleban we were gagging for a king to come back - even one as dissolute as Charles (or should that be, especially one as dissolute as Charles?)

The French, on the other hand, ended up with Napoleon, then the monarchy back again before kicking them out for good again.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well we didn't really. We felt terribly bad about the years of Cromwell's Commonwealth and the puritan repression. After 12 years of the 17th century Taleban we were gagging for a king to come back - even one as dissolute as Charles (or should that be, especially one as dissolute as Charles?)

The French, on the other hand, ended up with Napoleon, then the monarchy back again before kicking them out for good again.

I'm only going on a book I read years ago by an Historian called Christopher Hill. Possibly called "The World Turned Upside Down". He talks of much gnashing of teeth, which led to the Church being split into many "sub Protestant" religions, many of which still exist today.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Keep the Monachy IMO, I don't fancy a 'Republic' and a President a la France / USA.

BTW - HOW LONG has Charles been waiting to be King!

Perhaps we should 'skip' Charles with all his baggage and go straight to William?

I would however have a serious look at what each of them gets paid in the way of Public money - I do think that there are too many getting too much.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm only going on a book I read years ago by an Historian called Christopher Hill. Possibly called "The World Turned Upside Down". He talks of much gnashing of teeth, which led to the Church being split into many "sub Protestant" religions, many of which still exist today.

Oh, terrific book. It's actually on my desk as I write this. As well as the religious cults, it threw up a lot of political movements which have had a powerful influence on dissent over the centuries. The Diggers and the Levellers have exerted a powerful spell.

But you'd know from that book that there was no immediate desire to return to the monarchy as a multitude of groups went there own way.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh, terrific book. It's actually on my desk as I write this. As well as the religious cults, it threw up a lot of political movements which have had a powerful influence on dissent over the centuries. The Diggers and the Levellers have exerted a powerful spell.

But you'd know from that book that there was no immediate desire to return to the monarchy as a multitude of groups went there own way.

Well I did read it 20 years ago...:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here