Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a driving question

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
if a car is parked on a thick white line.....what does this mean? is it illegal?

you have broken down in the middle of the road that has overtaking restrictions :eek:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
It is usually where people have personal garages or access is required etc. You won't get a ticket for it unless the garage owner complains, likely you would be towed away aswell.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
if a car is parked on a thick white line.....what does this mean? is it illegal?

You cant park on it, although I have been told you can obstruct a driveway if there is a white line over it. Would not chance it.

PS.

Did you read the highway code??

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
Re: Re: a driving question

csider said:
You cant park on it, although I have been told you can obstruct a driveway if there is a white line over it. Would not chance it.

PS.

Did you read the highway code??

I was told that if there is a car parked on the driveway you cannot obstruct their exit, however if there is no car parked you are ok.

Something to do with the fact that the owner has no right of access just because he has a driveway, but he has a right of egress if already parked.

But the white line may override that.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Depends where the white line was.

On the edge of a dual carriageway? Motorway? Round a chevroned area? In the middle of the road?

We need more detail. What have you done?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i bumped a car in cambridge when reversing that was on a white line. many in the area have complained it being parked there and sadly i bumbed it when reversing.

its infront of his house, not over a drive or anything. just wondering whether its illegally parked or not to tell my insurance company. may try and sneak out of it by suggesting he was illegally parked if he was.

was just on a normal road in a village

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
sounds like it could be for a disabled driver -if he doesnt know it was you dont tell him - if i'm right he wont be able to run after you :lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
severnside gull said:
sounds like it could be for a disabled driver -if he doesnt know it was you dont tell him - if i'm right he wont be able to run after you :lolol:
ive spoken to him and got all his details. he or is partner certainly wernt disabled. i think i can DO HIM on the insurance....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If it's in Brighton and Hove you would get a ticket. Looking at the front page story in The Argus today it doesn't matter where you park you are almost guaranteed to come back and find a £60 fine on your windscreen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here