Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 years

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's shocking to think it. It's much worse for it to be true.

And it's over 10 years since the triplce-faced backstabbing deal was done to sell the ground and try and deny it. And nearly 12 years since the infamous "Articles of Association" meeting.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Well at least we only had to suffer Gillingham for 2 years.

I wouldn't swap that 8 years for anything, just look at the success we've had.

Beware of The Dell factor. Withdean brings us all together as fans, albeit in loathing for the place. When we get Falmer we'll become a "normal" club with a "normal" stadium.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The Withdean experience has been GOOD for the fans, all we've been through collectively.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Downloaded Penguin said:
I wouldn't swap that 8 years for anything, just look at the success we've had.
I would. I'd swap the last 8 years for the Goldstone Ground.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Easy 10 said:

We would still be in the third division with small crowds doing nothing like Rochdale et al.

Now we've started to fulfill some of our potential...all thanks to Withdean. :ohmy:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Stumpy Tim said:
Rubbish. We'll never be a normal club. Like Oldham aren't a normal club to Oldham fans. No such thing as a normal club in my opinion

Apart from the top 4 or 5 super-clubs most of the other clubs are normal. Their fans never have to campaign for anything, they might have a good season or a bad season, or an indifferent season. There are no protest marches, fund raisings, charity CDs, petitions and so on.

Normal being relative of course but think back to the early 90s when we were a "normal" club...when none of us had intimate knowledge of the planning processes for a new stadium, where we didn't have to arrange yet another publicity stunt and when we were just a middle of the road, middle of the table club bobbing along with no one caring about us outside of Crystal Palarse.

How things have changed.

Easy 10 said:

Really? I went through Hove on the train this evening and would be lying if I said I didn't gaze longingly over at the retail park, but I do think that if we'd kept hold of The Goldstone we'd still be rattling around in the bottom two divisions with very little to shout about on the playing field.

Penguin's right to a point about the fans. What happened 95-97 galvanised the Albion support. It had to, or else we would have lost our club all together. However, these days there's more of a 'them and us' situation - those that went to The Goldstone and fought, and the Withdean generation who, perhaps through no fault of their own (age, etc) simply don't realise quite what went on during those dark days.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I know there are some people who don't appreciate why we hate Archer and Bellotti so much (funny, Stanley is never mentioned in the same breath). We should be reminded as to what Bellotti did just so we can remember.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
In the last days of the Goldstone it was do or die and through good management we've exceeded expectations on the pitch. At Withdean the club has adopted a siege mentality started by Adams which has given fans and players a sense of togetherness. I hope when we have Falmer we look back with some affection for the Withdean years.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It is perhaps ironic that one of the most successful eras in terms of winning trophies was at Withdean.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
berkshire seagull said:
How shocking is it to think we have not had a ground of our own for 8 f***ing years:lolol:

I fail to see what is funny about it! They have been 8 very grim years. Even when we have had success, we have known that it cannot continue all the way to the Premiership, or enable us to attract bigger crowds, etc. :nono:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My biggest fear is that many fans who used to pay on the day depending on the opposition and what was at stake will have found other ways to occupy their Saturday afternoons.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
bhaexpress said:
My biggest fear is that many fans who used to pay on the day depending on the opposition and what was at stake will have found other ways to occupy their Saturday afternoons.

If things take much longer it will be playing bowls!

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Safeway said:
Really? I went through Hove on the train this evening and would be lying if I said I didn't gaze longingly over at the retail park, but I do think that if we'd kept hold of The Goldstone we'd still be rattling around in the bottom two divisions with very little to shout about on the playing field.

Very true. By now we would have had to convert the Goldstone to all seater, with little more than 8,000 at most, an east terrace with no roof, as well as poor peripheral services. Chances are the current board would not have been involved, so the dark days of 95-97 have actually allowed us as supporters to take the club forward. During the last ten years at the Goldstone, there was little interaction with the board, and we would be muddling along in the lower divisions with a piecemeal ground without any real prospect of progess. How many times during the last thirty years have various boards expressed pie in the sky ground moves? Falmer is real, its happening and gives the club more than a fighting chance of real progress.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
LANGDON SEAGULL said:
Safeway said:

Very true. By now we would have had to convert the Goldstone to all seater, with little more than 8,000 at most, an east terrace with no roof, as well as poor peripheral services. Chances are the current board would not have been involved, so the dark days of 95-97 have actually allowed us as supporters to take the club forward. During the last ten years at the Goldstone, there was little interaction with the board, and we would be muddling along in the lower divisions with a piecemeal ground without any real prospect of progess. How many times during the last thirty years have various boards expressed pie in the sky ground moves? Falmer is real, its happening and gives the club more than a fighting chance of real progress.

Fair comment that. Bamber and Co recognised the limitations and did try to get planning permission to build at Waterhall but the council blocked it mainly because they didn't want an out of town shopping park if my memory serves.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here